Minecraft

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Loerwyn, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Wootah

Wootah Member

Althea is correct.
    Alistaire left out the "for years" part of my quote. It is Hyperbole to be sure. The point I am trying to make though that just because there are mods, doesn't mean you should dive right in without getting to know the core game. The core game can last you a very long time, and although I personally played roughly a year and half before I even considered messing with mods my advice is that you should first see how much you love the unmodded game and play it through thoroughly... it doesn't have to be years. And even then when you do mess with mods, you might try only one or two at once instead of dozens simultaneously.

I have met a few people who burned themselves out of minecraft, at least in part, somewhat prematurely, due to mods. I also have logged onto a tekkit server my friend hosted and have had sooo many mods installed that it is hard to keep track of them all and the game is so different that it isn't even minecraft anymore. A well run server might have a few select mods, but people seemed to get carried away. And yes, after giving the game a good clean go for a while, try a RPG server out, but definitely have an appreciated for the unadulterated minecraft before doing that.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

3. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Is that a normal cave home, or does it extend downwards towards a greater complex?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

It's... I'm not sure what normal is, but I'd reckon that it's pretty small compared to most, and is a work in progress. I've built a home within a home in there, anyway.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

I like Minecraft. I played it since the one version before they introduced compasses. So, I played it a long long time.
    It's enjoyable in it's own way.
    I do recommend the Mystcraft mod, if there's ever a mod you play. Yes, it brings Myst, that awesome game series, to Minecraft, via the books.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Wootah

Wootah Member

I love that skin Althea! And I was never a huge streetfighter fan :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It depends on what you want to do.
    If it's a simple shelter, then the normal thing is to include a bed, a chest, and a workbench, and just let it be a place to hide and wait the night out, preferably by using a bed.
    Now if it's not just a simple shelter but instead something you could call a "miner's rest", then it is normal for it to be connected to your underground digging site.

But whichever way you do it, it's still "normal". It's Minecraft, a sandbox game about doing whatever you want, there's no single "good" way to do something (well, other than "killing supercharged creepers", for which the good way is "from safe distance").

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

It's more than a shelter, but it's not a rest either. It's not connected to anything yet (beyond some blocked-off mining I had done). I built it out of a sort of natural cave (one with three or so open sides/corners) whilst expanding it whenever I found resources. I've tried to tidy it up a bit but I get sidetracked by other things.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Meaning right now it's still a shelter created from a natural cave (or at least I see it like that; I haven't seen the whole thing so I might be wrong there). Not a bad thing, natural caves.

This is probably the moment when I should say "get used to it happening". There aren't many people who can keep themselves on the task they assigned to themselves in Minecraft, really.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

It's a shelter, yeah, but it's simultaneously more than one but less than anything else.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Yes Althea, I know, "work in progress".

It happens so often to me I'm sort of desensitised and just call it "shelter" when I have something like that.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Createx

Createx Member

Oh shit, I just realized that I've been playing Minecraft for nearly two years. It's a lovely game, with mods or without. However, I didn't like the way the game went around beta 1.7 and played a lot less since then. I'm still trying to find a way to get the old world generation, with a bit more awesome, with the new gameplay mechanics (well, some of them...).
    Basically, I want less expansive cave systems, rarer ores, water elevators (!!!), but the new combat mechanics (enchantments are meh) and all the new blocks. Today I took a look at the forums to see if I could find something in that vein, and was quite shocked at the state of the modding community, with all that Forge and Better Than Wolves stuff, and everything being a few new blocks and bigger TNT and photorealism packs. Oh well, tomorrow I'll try again.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. RKade8583

RKade8583 Member

My friend uses Feed The Beast. He just got me into it, the prick. I've been hating Minecraft because I have vision problems and depth perception is one of them... But I can't stop playing (vanilla for now). I built a house. I'll post a pic of it and the skin he modified for me.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/RKade8583/MC0001_zpsd14f4dad.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/RKade8583/MC0002_zpsc1fd39ce.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/RKade8583/MC0003_zpsc41f4ab3.jpg

I don't know how to fun-size images... What do I do now that I have a house, anyway?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Wait, is that Minecraft without a fucked FoV?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Createx

Createx Member

RKade, you still suffer from the so called "cubic syndrome", namely building anything out of cubes and squares. I've heard good things about Feed The Beast, but afaik their mod procurement policies are kind of... shady. Seems they don't always bother to get permissions. I like Vanilla Minecraft with decent textures, though I do want to try Better Than Wolves, which is incompatible with High-Res-textures :/

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. RKade8583

RKade8583 Member

No no, my friend said that was Technic. Feed the Beast got permission before they did the mod up so they get all the new versions. Also, I'm using vanilla to learn.

Fucked up FOV? I have a quarter of one eye. This is hard enough. :p

So what should I be doing now that I have a house?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Make a house made of other, smaller houses.
    Or mine to the bottom layer.
    Or go spelunking.
    Or make a random monument of vanity.
    Or make a reproduction of something from any other game/book/comic/movie.
    Or build a citadel of evil out of all that cobblestone you likely have and make it light up using magma instead of torches (I usually do that one).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Wootah

Wootah Member

Campaign route: Find 'The End', Kill the dragon.
    Creative route: Build something awesome.

Finding the end is more complex than you might initially think, especially if you are playing on hard.
    By playing on hard, you pretty much always have to have iron armor and enchanted diamond swords and enchanted bows.

First you have to find diamond and make a diamond pick.
    Once you have a diamond pick you can mine up obsidian which you can make an enchanting table.
    A table is good and all, but you are going to have to make a wheat farm and subsequently a cow farm for the leather to make books.
    Oh and you need a Sugar Cane farm too make book pages too.

It would help to find a monster spawner underground and make an water elevator harvester to level quickly.

Ideally you want to have a harvesting enchant on a diamond sword so that when you kill endermen you have a better chance of getting the ender pearls. Of course you will have to venture into the nether, find a fortress, and then harvest blazes for the blaze rods which make blaze powder to turn the nether pearls into ender eyes. Once you have some eyes, you can use them to find the dungeon. I suggest triangulation and writing down coordinates (along with good math) to reduce the number of eyes needed.

From there you need an arsenal of weapons and a solid plan to kill the dragon.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  19. Giygas

Giygas Member

I tend to shy away from combat in Minecraft in general. Minecraft's combat system... well, it sucks.

Luckily, the Enderdragon is one of the best mobs to fight in the game (which isn't saying much really). You can probably make do with iron equipment, but given the way the Enderdragon fights, it's possible to make do without armor.

If you want to fight something a little more "endgame", there's the Wither. Unfortunately, he's a pretty bad mob; enchanted diamond armor is not a bonus, but a requirement (either that or a crapton of potions, and if you use potions you need to compensate with a really good sword). To fight him, you need to get three wither skulls (obtained by killing a crapton of wither skeletons) and four soul sand blocks. Just arrange the soulsand in a T and put the wither skulls on top, then run like hell because he's gonna explode.

I personally hate everything about the wither. He's a pretty poorly implemented boss; there's next to no strategy in the fight. It pretty much consists of "walk backwards and keep shooting, then when he is at half health spam your sword".

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

May I ask you, what aspect of strategy did you expect in a game as casual as Minecraft? Where there's as much as 2 things to do with a sword? Where there's as much as 5 materials to make a sword OF?

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.