Steam Greenlight

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Mashirafen, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

2. Aegho

Aegho Member

The 4 games in my favorite list:
    Nestalgia, an 8-bit style MMO, that I am already lifetime subbed to... (currently on hiatus but I do come back occasionally)
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92588954
    Underrail, an RPG in the Fallout style, isometric 3rd person, turn based combat. (demo available)
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92962826
    Doom & Destiny, a satirical JRPG style game with nerds.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93788887
    Miasma 2: Freedom Uprising, a first person RPG with 3rd person turn based combat. Looks rough(oh god the bloom!) but I have hopes.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=100599028

PS: I had already thumbed up Daynab's friends's project.

3. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

Oh, I bought that game twice, I liked it so much! Really good.

4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

5. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I was going to say that I didn't know that Tome 4 was on Greenlight, but then I noticed that I actually had voted for it lol.

My brain is turning to mush.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

My like-spamming is coming to fruition!

Haldurson likes this.
  7. Aegho

Aegho Member

I gotta say: I wonder if greenlight as a phenomenom is dying already. As in, people by and large gave up on it. There's been no new greenlights for some time now, and the new submissions have trickled down to nearly nothing.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

What I heard is that initially, they had very loose standards as to what could be put on Greenlight, so everyone created entries, even if they didn't have much to speak of as far as experience, an actual project and so on, are concerned. When they saw all of the dreck that passed their loose standards, they tightened things up quite a bit, plus they added a requirement that people actually had to pay to get onto Greenlight. Once they did that, only people with real projects or finished games would be willing to pay to get onto Greenlight. That's basically what happened.

It's true that you aren't seeing much new stuff, but I'm betting that the new stuff that you do see is of a higher quality (or at least is nearer to completion). It was ridiculous that people were getting on Greenlight, yet they were so early in their development stage that it was incredibly premature to have people vote for them.

Vitellozzo and OmniaNigrum like this.
  9. mining

mining Member

Good.

When I look at Greenlight, I want to see indie games that have nearly reached conclusion - not a barely ideated prototype or 7 ways to offend a racial minority in less than 12 seconds.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

My main problem with Greenlight is that they made it mandatory to indies. It feels like you kind of have to sell yourself out to -the community- if you want to get anywhere.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I think Towns (and, though not actually a Greenlit title, WarZ) contributed to that to some degree. From what I've ascertained, it was not made clear that it was still in beta when released on Steam (whereas I believe GamersGate among other stores made it clear). The WarZ is often claimed to have been a Greenlit title, but in fact it wasn't.

Oh, and I think some publishers have been forced via Greenlight, which hasn't helped. I know Viva Media put a bunch of their titles on Greenlight to get them on Steam despite those titles having been on sale elsewhere for a period of time - Drakensang, Gray Matter and so on. Those are completed, released and profitable titles that have been on sale on other major distributors (e.g. Impulse and GamersGate) and should not have to have gone through Greenlight to be considered for release on Steam. Now that those titles are on there and so on, I think we'll see it shift to a larger percentage of smaller/indie titles.

Did they? And people say Gaben/Steam is faultless.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. mining

mining Member

Bullshit.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Amen. Greenlight as a whole started as a very bad idea. I have zero faith in most of the crap on there. People put up "Mods" that they tried to pretend were a whole new game as well. (Most if not all of those were finally removed.) The point is that they expected the "Internet" to be reasonable. How 'effing stupid is that? Valve stupid.

14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Lol.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I don't think that the idea was bad, but I agree that it was implemented poorly. The IDEA was to give others a chance to put their games on Steam, based on community input. But it was implemented (at least initially) in a completely half-assed way, such that all the crap that we all saw drowned out the games that actually merited going to Steam.

Game companies, for obvious reasons, benefit by having their games on Steam. But as everyone points out, people got on Steam with nothing more than a proposal for a game, or a mod, or the like.

One of the effects of that original misstep is that there was so much crap on Greenlight that it really didn't matter that there was good stuff as well. If there were 200 proposals instead of 2000, then it would be a lot easier to find the gems.

BTW, I do not get that video at all. Sometimes I feel like an alien here lol.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Basically, Valve's fanboys hang on Gaben's every appearance and interview for Half-Life 2: Episode 3/Half-Life 3 information, but Valve are constantly baiting and switching, such as with Ricochet 2 (Ricochet being a very old Valve game on Source that no-one really gives a shit about). And, as such, Gaben's a troll. Because he seriously is.

As for Greenlight? It was a good idea in some ways, in that it allowed the fans a way to say what games they want on Steam, but it seems that Valve/Steam didn't think it through properly (NOW THERE'S A SURPRISE) and didn't put enough restrictions on it. There were (existing) commercial releases competing for Greenlit status alongside betas of indie games, e.g. Gray Matter (a finished, released, etc. adventure game from Jane Jensen) going up alongside Towns, which makes no sense really. Gray Matter and other Viva Media titles (Viva Media seemingly being the only publisher with online distribution rights for some European titles) should be on Steam anyway, but they shouldn't be forced to go through Greenlight, especially when they're already on GamersGate, Impulse and so on.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I still have no idea who Gaben is aside from the fact that he must work for Valve. I could use a search engine or Wikipedia, but I just do not care.

What pisses me off is that games like ToME, that are free to all but have an option to donate to help out, still have to go through the same process as full commercial games and stupid ideas without a finished game.

As I said on the Steam Greenlight page for ToME:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93674769

18. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Gaben? Gabe Newell, pretty much the top guy in Valve as well as being its public face. He's also got a sense of humour and has been known to appear somewhat overweight, hence the fat jokes that appear frequently with regards to him.

Vitellozzo, mining and OmniaNigrum like this.
  19. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I had to look the name up also. Then again, my memory is so bad that the only gaming biz names I can remember at the drop of a hat are Sid Meyer (Civilization, etc.), Chris Crawford (Mule), and Walther Bright (Empire). And if I were tired, that would drop to Just Sid.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Jane Jensen, Rhianna Pratchett, Brian Fargo, Cliffy B, Gaben, Doug Lombardi (right?), Tim Schaeffer (I think), Sid Meier, Jon Van Cagenham (von Cagenham?), Chris Sawyer, Frank Klepacki, Fahrang whatshisface from Larian, Ragnar Tornquist... Just off the top of my head.

OmniaNigrum likes this.