Nephilim Skillset

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Vordrak, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Vordrak

Vordrak Member

Hi,

For my first post, I have created a complete new skillset for DoD. It does not require any expansion packs. Steam here - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=117070731

The skillset is feature complete. This mod is now released - copy of revision 1.0.4 attached. and largely bug free other than some minor sound issues. Can anyone explain the appropriate way to play sound effects? I have no problems with sfx attributes on anim tags, but wondered if there was a way to play sound effects without animations. Also, do sfx attributes work with effect tags? There are some in the canon spellsDB.xml file but I am not sure if they work.

Nephilim Skillset
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    "A darkness fell upon the land, and then I beheld a dark sun rising. In its black light the streets of the cities of men ran crimson with rivers of blood. The dust was disturbed only by the wails of those who remained, and the living envied the dead."

As a Nephilim you are a thing-that-should-not-be. Beautiful but subtly wrong you can cause wounds merely by wishing them, and as you grow in power you bring destruction wherever you go.

Skill Ranks
    Level 0 / Start Skill - Blood of the Fallen / Otherworldly Touch
    [​IMG]
    You are only partly human. Your otherworldly blood makes you beautiful and gives many gifts but there is something subtly ... wrong.

1 :sagacity:
    1 :caddishness:
    1 :dodge:
    1 :sneakiness:
    1 :mana_regen:
    1 :trap_level:
    1 :trap_sense:
    1 :sight:

Level 1 - Vision of Pain
    [​IMG]
    "You wanted them to bleed, and they bled." Your rage destroys. Merely to look upon the object of your displeasure harms as though unseen talons slice at them, whether to cause wounds to open in living flesh, make machinery to rust and break, or to eat away at the enchantments that animate undead.

Cost 2 :mana:
    Damage 5 :dmg_slashing: + ( :caddishness: * 0.50 :dmg_slashing:)
    Bleed

Level 2 - Weight of Falling Stars
    [​IMG]
    "The weight of your regard is like falling stars." That which you reject is repelled by an aura of subtle ghostly white light. Enemies and even heavy objects are violently forced away and suffer severe crushing / blunt damage. This power may also pin down and render enemies unable to move for a short period.

Cost 4 :mana:
    Damage 5 :dmg_crushing: + ( :caddishness: * 0.70 :dmg_crushing:)
    Bleed
    7 Knock
    50% Chance of Paralyse 3 Turns

Level 3 - Day of Deceit
    [​IMG]
    Your inhuman heritage cannot be denied. Your spiritual presence presses outward, granting you glamour, charm and perception beyond human norms.

2 :sagacity:
    5 :caddishness:
    2 :dodge:
    2 :sneakiness:
    2 :trap_level:
    2 :trap_sense:
    2 :sight:

Level 4 - Shadow of a Passing Cloud
    [​IMG]
    "He trod lightly upon the earth, as the shadow of a passing cloud." Without fuss, you are in one place one moment, another the next.

Cost 8 :mana:
    Teleport to target

Level 5 - Countenance of Dreadful Beauty
    [​IMG]
    Like a diamond sun your supernatural charisma burns into the minds of all those who behold you. Your vision and charisma are legendary.

2 :sagacity:
    5 :caddishness:
    2 :dodge:
    2 :sneakiness:
    4 :trap_level:
    4 :trap_sense:
    4 :sight:

Level 6 - Dust of Dead Worlds
    [​IMG]
    "Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" The material world crumbles. Castles, palaces and mountains (as well as dungeon walls) turn to dust before you.

Cost 35 :mana:
    Turns the dungeon walls within a 10 square radius to dust, instantly.

Level 7 - Chill of the Soul Wind
    [​IMG]
    "A darkness fell upon the land, and then I beheld a dark sun rising. In its black light the streets of the cities of men ran crimson with rivers of blood. The dust was disturbed only by the wails of those who remained, and the living envied the dead." All living things wither in your presence, all machines break, all statues crumble, all spells of undeath, animation, or summoning fade and all spirits are pushed away from the world.

Cost 15 :mana:
    Damage 7 :dmg_righteous: + ( :caddishness: * 0.50 :dmg_righteous:)
    Damage 7 :dmg_necromatic: + ( :caddishness: * 0.50 :dmg_necromatic:)
    Damage 7 :dmg_putrefying: + ( :caddishness: * 0.50 :dmg_putrefying:)
    Damage 7 :dmg_aphyxiative: + ( :caddishness: * 0.50 :dmg_aphyxiative:)
    Damage 7 :dmg_existential: + ( :caddishness: * 0.50 :dmg_existential:)
    Single shot damage as above on all enemies within a 10 square radius.

- Vordrak / Lord Chaos

Attached Files:

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

If I am understanding what I see here, this sounds massively overpowered. But you know better than I. Rock on.

One thing you may want to consider is adding a download option for non Steam users. Desura and Gamefly and even Humble Bundle users cannot use this without Steam and a Steam copy of the game.

mining likes this.
  3. Vordrak

Vordrak Member

Thanks. I am new, so any ideas where I should put a non-Steam version up? Also, do you know the answer to my question re SFX?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Just a few things.

1) this is pretty darn overpowered.
    2) this is not [core]. [Core] means you have to replace core files in order to use the mod; this is just an ordinary mod.
    3) this is really damn overpowered.

Kazeto, mining and OmniaNigrum like this.
  5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Just rename the Steam ######.dat file to the same sequence of numbers and the zip file extension. That is all you have to do. Then you can post it here. If I were you, I would edit the original post and add the mod to it. Look at some of the other mods here to see how we usually do things.

And by all means, please do not hesitate to ask if you have further questions.

*Edit* I honestly have no idea on the SFX stuff. But I wager someone will answer that soon. (It usually happens in a day or two as the regulars read and research.)

6. Vordrak

Vordrak Member

Thanks. I do not seem to be able to change the threat title. Mod remove [CORE] tag please?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. mining

mining Member

This skill alone + blood magic + full tank build = game winner.

Level 1-5 alone is like 3 skill trees of free stats.

Would halve most numbers initially, then start from there.

OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  8. Essence

Let me give a little bit more detailed feedback:

In general, there are some stats wherein a single point can be worth half or more of a full level. :alchemy::armor_asorb::life_regen::mana_regen::sight::smithing::tinkerer::trap_level::wand_burn: are all examples. Having a single level (especially the zeroth level) give out :mana_regen::trap_level::sight: is awesome all by itself; everything else in that level is gravy. I'd choose one of those three (IMHO :mana_regen:) and drop the other two. I think if you do that, keeping the rest of the level 1 bonuses is still slightly overpowered, but not so much that people will refuse to play with the mod.

Level 1's nuke is absurdly cheap and scales to Caddishness like Hercules scales to Olympus. By contrast, Mathemagic's 1st-level nuke scales to Magic Power (which is generally just over half of one of your primary stats) and scales by .4ish -- so effectively scales by .2ish to your actual primary stat. (It adds a minor stacking debuff as well, but also costs more to cast until your Savvy gets significantly higher)

Rogue Scientist's 2nd level nuke is scaled directly to a primary stat (Savvy) and scales at .34, plus some extra packets that scale to your Tinkering, and it has a fairly respectable cooldown rather than being spammable in any way.

It's also interesting to note that every single 1st-level damage spell in the core game does more than just damage. I don't know what to make of that, but it makes balancing a damage spell a little more difficult. :) Personally, I'd increase the cost to 6 or maybe even 7 and drop the scaling to .34. Possibly adding a savvyBonus and a minCost so the cost goes down slowly as you level.

Weight of Falling Stars has essentially the same problem. I'd again up the cost to 9ish and reduce the scaling to .45 at most.

Shadow of a Passing Cloud -- The main Teleport spell in the game, Xeuclid's Translation, is a level higher than this and costs 20:mana:, scaling very slowly down to a minimum cost of 8:mana:. This, being a level lower, needs to have a cost of at least 15, or have some other significant drawback to it's use, like a huge debuff upon arrival.

Dust of Dead Worlds is nifty, but again at the same level Digging Ray only takes out one square of dungeon and costs sixty mana, scaling (granted very quickly) down to 10. If you're going to be potentially taking out scores of walls with a single spell, the cost should probably literally approach 100:mana:.

And of course Chill of the Soul Wind is just completely over-the-top bonzo crazy nuts. A huge area nuke like that dealing 49+2.5 * your Caddishness -- just consider that the typical MAGE has a Caddishness equal to their character level; by the time you're dealing with Muscle Diggles, you're what, level 30ish? That's 45+49 = 94 damage to everything around you. A Dred Collector only has 46 HP. Brax only has 116. This and a single melee hit can kill the salesdemon, and that's if you don't put any effort at all into pumping your Caddishness. A 30th level Rogue doubles that and is dealing 274 damage with this spell -- two hits of this will bring Lord Dredmor down to negative 78 HP.

That's just a tiny bit overpowered. Bring the scaling on every single one of those packets down to .2 or .25 at most, and triple the cost, then we're talking.

Kazeto, mining and OmniaNigrum like this.
  9. Vordrak

Vordrak Member

Being able to destroy whole cities with a single click is overpowered? :cool:

On a serious note, I actually did attack Lord Dredmor with the final tier spell. It actually is less powerful than you might think against floor 15 enemies, because of their high resistances. Dreddy resists almost everything, so in fact it took 10-30 shots before he dropped over.

There are some who would say that if Dredmor cannot be killed without spamming a power some would describe as an over-powered nuke of death then Dredmor might be a bit ... overpowered himself.

Next mod - the Sword of Ultimate Doom! It will be a cool sword. Of doom. Or mebbe 'The Bomb' launcher.

Ideally what I would like is a scripting language for Dredmor so I can write a power that turns all walls on a level to dust, kills all enemies, collects all the loot, sorts the loot and auto-equips the stuff which is better than your current gear as well as selling the rest.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Are you serious? That would be pure lunacy. Take your pills, get some sleep, or seek psychiatric help. Something is very wrong, or you are joking and I am oblivious to that.

Kazeto likes this.
  11. Vordrak

Vordrak Member

I'm probably joking insofar as those activities constitute the essence of an RPG. See 'Progress Quest' if you don't get it...

OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  12. Essence

Point well made, but consider that nothing else in the game comes close to killing Dredmor in 20ish hits. Fighting the lich is designed to be a half-hour, knock-down, drag-out brawl with you using everything at your disposal to stay alive while you get the occasional good hit in -- having Chill of the Soul Wind plus the Alchemy skill (or just 2x Invis Potions and 5x each of Healing and Mana potions that you've collected along the way) is basically the win in your pocket. That's ungood. :)

mining, Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  13. mining

mining Member

I will say that there are ways to make a melee build that can kill Dreddy in 5 hits with CoE weapons (still!) but that takes a ton of luck getting great weapons - and that's not close to being AoE.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Essence

True -- if you can manage to get 2 weapons with big-ass Righteous bonuses (the rarest kind of CoE weapon), you can do it, but that's nothing like being able to do it with a skill that you're guaranteed to be able to have by DL 3 if you focus on it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. mining

mining Member

So, I tested this, and accidentally killed Brax with the capstone. It was no big deal though, as the capstone instantly killed Dread Collectors. It instantly cleared the zoo on the level. I just quit out of the game, there was no point carrying on. Also, the size of the capstone creates a non-zero chance of crashing the game near a map edge. Just thought you should know.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.