[List] In-Jokes, Third-Party References, etc.

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by LonePaladin, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Incompetent

Incompetent Member

I'm English and I've never seen the Shakespeare character's name spelt "Thibault". That would be a plausible rendering of the name in a French translation of the play, though.

"Trompement" is a fencing term for a kind of attack that tricks the opponent into parrying in the wrong place. Literally, the word means an act of deceiving someone (a bit more specific than 'wronging' I think), although even in French it's only used in fencing.

Troublegum, OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  2. Troublegum

Troublegum Member

Well, yes. Soylent Green is people. Always was, always is and ever shall be. It's just that in the novel that was the creative basis for the film soylent green doesn't even exist and the soylent that does is made of soyabeans and lentils. Hence, if you render it down to its root sauce (;)) it's actually soy.

The Tybalt connection is a fun idea, but it's more likely the Princess Bride is making a reference to the Dutch fencing master Gerard Thibault d'Anvers, author of the fencing manual Academie de l'Espée, and responsible for Thibault's Stance and Thibault's Subjection. Especially given that the other things mentioned by Westley and Inigo during their duel (Bonetti's Defence, Capo Ferro and Agrippa) all refer to other actual fencing masters and their styles or 'moves.'

3. Perriwing

Perriwing Member

I've come across two references,
    First being the My little anvil thing, it is a reference to MLP:FiM
    As quoted from its description, "smithing is magic"

Second is the copper plating encrust. Its description state that it is better than taking a bolt to the knee and later on saying have you seen what they pay guards these days.

4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Therefore it's a double-reference to Skyrim ;)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

The missile church in Diggle Hell could be a reference to the sewer mutants from Futurama, who worship an unexploded nuclear bomb, but I get the feeling that they may both be a reference to some other third thing.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Frelus

Frelus Member

Fallout 3 has the bomb in Megaton, which is also worshipped.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

You need to go deeper.

Edit: Way deeper.

Exile, Frelus and OmniaNigrum like this.
  8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Fallout 1, perhaps?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Wasteland. :p

Exile likes this.
  10. Urthdigger

Urthdigger Member

According to the fallout wiki, the church of the children of atom is itself a reference to the film "Beneath the Planet of the Apes", which had a cult worshiping an atomic bomb. So, I'm guessing that's the base?

dbaumgart and OmniaNigrum like this.
  11. Coolthulhu

Coolthulhu Member

Blaze of Glory's (buff from Clockwork Knight's ultimate) description is from WH40K Soulstorm game, Boreale's speech.
    Mounted Flashlight's description could refer to Doom 3, which had flashlight only available as a separate (melee and weak) weapon, spawning the trope "There's no duct tape on Mars".
    No, You Are The Demons is from Doom: Repercussions of evil - one of the most unpopular fanfictions on the entire Internet.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Pretty sure Blaze of Glory is a BonJovi reference.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Pretty sure the phrase "Blaze of Glory" predated the Bon Jovi song, but I can't find the original source

EDIT: According to this list of phrase origins the first recorded use of the phrase occurs in a poem written in 1686 entitled The Hind and the Panther

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Yeah, but it came from Ruigi. Have you seen that guy? He looks like a Bon Jovi type. :p

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Found the original source... I think. it was one of the Planet of the Apes movies.

EDIT: Damn! Urthdigger beat me to it!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Farmerbob

Farmerbob Member

Heh I thought Hacking the Gibson was a reference to the 2001 hacking of grc.com (Gibson Research Corporation)

http://tinyurl.com/bsw8chn
    Steve has apparently rolled his own documentation of the event off his homepage but it's in Goodledocs, and I found a link.

Looks like Hackers came out before GRC was hacked, and William Gibson is more fun anyway.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Farmerbob

Farmerbob Member

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Farmerbob

Farmerbob Member

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Farmerbob

Farmerbob Member

Wouldn't Siegfried reference the Soul Caliber Siegfried? http://soulcalibur.wikia.com/wiki/Siegfried

As mentioned before it might reference other things too

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Paranormal Investigator is Inspector Gadget.
    Siegfried is a name common in vampire stories.

OmniaNigrum likes this.