Minecraft

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Loerwyn, Dec 19, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Note to self: If exploring a cave someone else dug, mirror the torches on the other wall. :D

Kazeto likes this.
  2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Not to Omni: My caves have random torches, but every so often (on every split at the very least) there are signs explaining where is what. The signs are untouchable by players, and I have enough blocks to get up to the ground by drilling through the ceiling if I have to.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

I like how Kazeto breaks the first and second survival rule of minecraft;

1. DONT DIG STRAIGHT DOWN
    2. DONT DIG STRAIGHT UP

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Minecraft is too damn addictive!

I'll keep those tips and things in mind, and I'll apply them either tonight or another day. Right now I need a break.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

When digging "straight down", remember to make your mine shaft 1x2 blocks and never dig the block you are standing on. In case where you encounter a cave below you that is too high to just let yourself fall to the floor, make an impromptu bridge with sand or gravel, and then continue going down.
    The shaft can later be covered with material not occurring naturally such as planks or glass so that you will know where it's possible to dig straight up in case of emergency.

And hey, I'm a Minecraft veteran who also played Dwarf Fortress. You don't expect me to abide to such a puny thing as "common-sense caused rules of survival", do you now?

And a related story. I once played a Minecraft game where I just destroyed two trees (a total of 9 logs and 3 seeds), and then started digging straight down until I reached the bedrock. And then I never went up again, and the shaft was used to grow a single tree for planks. And even then I managed never to die for about 50 hours of gameplay, after which I updated the game and that particular world broke.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Ah, we're on the bragging tour right? I remember on a multiplayer world, I just started and !TP'd to some random place. It was like 80 blocks above bedrock, in an abandoned mineshaft. I started my adventure there, and killed the owner of the !TP with a full diamond set, when he got to his !TP after 1 hour. That's because I rushed getting iron tools, stripmined the area and found like 3 diamonds or so. Then I explored the cave system to find 2 chests with diamonds. I then ventured into some ravine and found a lot of diamonds, made the set, and boom.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Not really, more like sharing stories of our (or other players') idiocy. The one I posted was about mine (and really, it's harder to die when living on bedrock level than it is on the surface, unless you are an idiot who digs straight into a lava pool with no safeguards - there aren't any surprises from below now, all minerals can be found down there, and unless you fail to use torches there tends not to be enough place for mobs to spawn spare the occasional single mob in unexplored caves).

But your story was amusing too. And is an example of why things like that guy's cache ought to be protected better.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

I have so many stories of me falling in lava the exact moment I find diamond ores, might aswell start a new forum for it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. jadkni

jadkni Member

Minecraft is enjoyable but at some point vanilla stops being interesting (for me at least). Thankfully the modding community is extensive and even something as simple as changing texture packs can make it feel fresh again, if interior decorating is your draw to the game.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Giygas

Giygas Member

I love Minecraft to death. But GOD, I hate that terrain so much.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

By "the terrain", do you mean the way it looks, or the way it is generated?

I reckon it's about the crevices in the ground, but I'm asking to be sure (I don't particularly dislike them, but sometimes I am annoyed if I get them right under what was supposed to be my building place for my "elaborate underground lair of evil (TM)").

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Giygas

Giygas Member

It's the way it's generated, and I hate nearly everything about it except for rivers.

I'll just direct you to this thread since it explains it much better than I can (even though i'm on that thread all the time :p). In short, ever since beta 1.8 when the terrain generator changed, the world was made a lot more predictable (with a bit of ugliness on the side). For an example, mountains will now only generate in Extreme Hills (EH) and Ice Mountains (IM), and it will be flat everywhere except for X-hills (things like Jungle Hills and Forest Hills). Caves are also a lot less varied than they used to be; right now, they're always massive and spammed rather than having varied densities and sizes like they did before. Ravines have a similar problem. Not to mention that 1.0+ beaches (1.8 didn't have ANY beaches) just replace a couple of blocks with sand no matter how steep the incline is (usually it will form what appears to be a vertical wall of sand rather than a flat sandy area that turns to grass and THEN slopes up like it did before 1.8) and that the underwater geology sucks now (lots of circular clay, dirt, and sand splotches combined does not look pretty). The size of biome transitions was also severely worsened in 1.2.5 when the Anvil world format came out (it went from something like 20±10 blocks or so to 10 blocks everywhere (not sure exactly how big they were) to 10 blocks everywhere and 3 in swamps to 3 blocks everywhere).

But yeah, read that thread. While it might seem like we want the beta 1.7.3 generator back, we don't. That generator had it's problems, too (namely the small biome size; I once found a biome that consisted of one lone block). We want a new generator that combines the good things from the old generator (variation, seas, beaches, the temperature/rainfall system) and the good things from the new one (rivers and structures). Oh, yeah, and none of the bad of course. Unfortunately we've been mostly ignored for a year except for a few replies from Dinnerbone that were about terrain sliders (which do not fix the problem and would appear to impede the creation of a new terrain generator rather than help make a new one).

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  13. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Oh, so that particular discussion...
    I stopped reading it quite some time ago, really (mostly due to me using a mod which changed the world generation and thus not caring), and now I don't particularly mind the terrain because I got used to it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Giygas

Giygas Member

Ah, well, lucky for you if it's to your taste then. Unfortunately for me, I hate the terrain because I got used to it (I loved it back in 1.8 for a week or two).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, most of my attempts to play Minecraft end up with me being the evil corporation which razes the land to build there (read: Kazeto's OCDs strike again), so outside of exploration it's always artificially-created land for me (my starting point is always the point where I start constructing a base/town/keep/whatever, no matter if there were mountains, swamps, crevice, or an ocean, to begin with.

I do agree that the change to cave generation is a bad thing, though - it would be great if the caves ever ended.

OmniaNigrum and mining like this.
  16. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Maybe, you need the amount of points to buy Minecraft..

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Wootah

Wootah Member

Wow! I don't know how I missed this thread.
    I have been playing minecraft for around 2.25 years and I must say... it is awesome.

I recommend NOT playing with mods... for years. They spoil the magic of the game for you.
    One thing I have discovered is the game is a LOT better if you find the right kind of people that match your playstyle.

And there seems to be tons of playstyles out there. I myself, am the digger, tunnler, explorer. I rarely spend time on the surface and oftentimes there is no indication that there is any huge underground development right underneath your feet. Once, before there were beds, I died a long way off from my base and wandered around for hours and couldn't find my house. I had to download a mapping tool and look around for subtle hill shapes to figure out the coordinates of my base.

I have friends that they want to build monstrous castles out of rock that they have carved with their own hands. Others just want to much around in creative mode. Others like to explore the surface. Some like to build cities and villages with interconnecting roads and themed buildings (bakery, blacksmith, town hall, watch towers, walls etc...). Ever since they added lan play with single player hosting, it is really really fun. And it is more fun if you have a variety of your best friends in the game. You can totally play everyones way.... work on building castles, work towards finding a dungeon and killing the dragon in the end, or build a blaze harvesting machine.

It is a lot of fun and I totally recommend it. There are lot of servers out there too.. including PvP servers and RPG servers where you can get professions, level up, and do quests.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Alistaire

Alistaire Member

Let me stop you right there.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Amen. Those two statements do not go together without an explanation.

20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Um. I don't think he said "don't use mods" then "you must play on RPG servers". He (well, I assume they're a he) said they recommend playing without mods for a long period of time... but that you can play on RPG servers (which obviously require mods).

No contradiction there.

mining and OmniaNigrum like this.