FML

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Warlock, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

This is exactly what I meant when I said that this book addresses facts of neurochemistry. You're acting like I'm telling you to read Chicken Soup for the Soul, but I'm not. I'm telling you to read a book that can explain how and where to get neurochemical supplements that can help your brain and body work correctly together.

It actually addresses, to the best of my ability to determine from hundreds of miles away based entirely on text I'm reading on a screen, pretty much exactly what you've described. It's not a "feel good" book -- it's a "read through this list of symptoms, check which ones you have, crossreference them with this chart, and then go get these specific supplements and take them regularly for a week. If you don't feel better within a week, then you don't have this problem and you should look elsewhere."

That's all I'm asking for -- enough effort to read a book, drop a Franklin on some pills, take them for a week, and if you don't feel better, hell, I'll send you the money you're out. It's as close to a miracle cure as you're going to find, and I'm actually willing to put money on the table if it doesn't work. That's how sure I am that it's worth your time and effort, Althea.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Um, I think it's highly irresponsible for you to suggest self-medication of anti-depressants/mood-alterting/enabling drugs after self-diagonising symptoms.

And no, for the last time, a book will not fix what is wrong with me. It isn't a qualified surgeon. It isn't a period of time on hormones. It isn't changing my social position. It is not even an option.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Essence

You're not paying any attention here at all. I went out of my way previously on this thread to mention that the supplements the book suggests are NOT drugs in the traditional sense. They're chemicals your brain is supposed to have in it anyway. The amount you would have to take to have negative side effects is enormous, because your body already knows exactly what the stuff is and what to do with it. It's ridiculously hard to OD because your body already has mechanisms in place that tell it what to do if there's an overabundance of the stuff.

The sad thing here isn't that you have no idea what you're talking about, it's that you're deciding what will and won't help you without knowing what you're talking about. It's literally me saying "Try squeedlejinks! I have experience with it and it helped me!" and you saying "but it starts with the letter 's'! The letter 's' can't help me, so why bother?"

It may not be a surgeon -- but it IS a very respected and highly qualified scientist who did actual science and discovered something that the pharma industry really wants you to ignore.

http://www.moodcure.com/take_the_mood_type_questionnaire.html

4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I know exactly what I'm talking about. I don't feel like openly discussing my situation right now, but I know for a fact that a book and its recommended supplements will not fix anything. It doesn't matter if they're 'traditional' drugs or more akin to herbal supplements, or even just placebos.

And I don't think it matters whether our bodies have/need these chemicals anyway. What you're saying is you think people should self-diagnose via a book and then ingest supplements to cure or counter the symptoms of the diagnosis. We are not, ever, in a position to self-diagnose our mental health. It's so easy to start believing you have symptoms, and that could lead to more issues down the line. What I would recommend is to see a medical professional if you feel that you might have depression. Maybe it's just a point in your life and a few counselling sessions could clear it up, but it could also be part of something much deeper.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Essence

I'm sorry. This statement and the statement "I know exactly what I'm talking about" are mutually exclusive. You really don't know what you're talking about, and any expert you ask, be they a doctor or a surgeon or a nutritionist, will be happy to tell you the same thing. The chemicals in your body and brain are responsible for almost every aspect of your behavior, and science has already proven not only that this is true, but they can tell you to a significant degree of accuracy which chemicals are responsible for which behaviors.

You may very well have an understanding of your situation that completely makes what I'm saying moot -- that's entirely possible. But you haven't said anything that makes me think so -- you've said a lot of things that indicate that you're digging in your heels and making decisions that you don't have the information to make on your own.

Yes. That is what I'm saying.

6. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

7. Essence

Off to church. Proper reply later.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Just leave it be, Essence. As I wrote earlier, the one important thing is for someone to believe that doing something will help them. Althea doesn't think reading the book you suggested will help, so it won't help, no matter what is written in that book.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I'm in therapy, and I see a psychiatrist every other month, and so on, and nutrition (and exercise) is definitely something that is discussed. I have no doubt that eating well and getting exercise, even if its simply taking walking around your block, is a good thing, regardless of whether you suffer from depression or not. If you do not talk to a doctor or dietician (but beware of anyone claiming to be a nutritionist -- that means they have no official qualifications) then reading a book by someone with such qualifications is certainly a good idea. Just be aware that not all 'experts' are equal. People, even those with degrees, sometimes have odd ideas that may have no proven scientific basis. So don't be surprised if not everyone agrees with one another.

If you have clinical depression, you probably are never going to be cured. What your goal is, though, is to learn to live with it, know your warning signs, and do what you can to alleviate the symptoms. Diet and exercise can certainly be part of that. And if it's not severe, I suppose it's possible that that alone could be enough. But for many of us, it's not. That's why we take medication.

10. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

It's distasteful to keep piling on with a fix-yourself book when she's hinted many times at what her condition is. If you don't know what it entails, look it up, educate yourself, and you'll see that as she says it usually requires professional help. I know you're trying to help, but it's not the case here.

OmniaNigrum, TheJadedMieu and Kazeto like this.
  11. Essence

My apologies.

OmniaNigrum, TheJadedMieu and Kazeto like this.
  12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I do not think Essence intended any offense. And luckily I think Althea has pretty thick skin too. So let us just leave the past in the past and move on.

The book can possibly help many people. But as I said before, if you have no Faith in the book, it is just paper and meaningless words with zero power to help. Right or wrong, Althea does not have Faith in the book.

Kazeto likes this.
  13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I'm not angry, offended, insulted or any of those things, but I will confess I was getting a little frustrated about my knowledge of my situation being questioned.

Let's just move on, okay? Nothing is gained by carrying this on.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Petty, pointless FML right now.

Finally bought The Secret World a few days back on 50% off on GamersGate. Was really looking forward to it, spent two days (well, two shifts at work) downloading it, to load it up and find:
    a) Characters are ugly
    b) It's got shit voice acting
    c) It's got shit lip sync
    d) The 'tutorial' levels (or the first one in the subway) are fucking stupid and anti-player
    e) It lags like a bitch and performs barely any better
    f) It went to about £6.25 for the following 24hrs or so on the same site.
    g) Absolutely offensively expensive cosmetic item store (talking about £10 worth of points to buy a top for your character)

I'll keep trying, but what a waste of fucking money it seems. I would probably have more fun with World of Warcraft: Panda Shagger.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Ouch. Sorry to hear that Althea. The only thing I am left wondering is why lip syncing matters?

E, F, and G seem to be the biggest reasons not to bother with it.

16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Because it completely kills any and all immersion.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I didn't have much of a problem with the lip syncing, but I have to admit that the New England accent on that police woman sounds really bad.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I guess I am unable to understand how lip syncing is required for immersion. I know you have a good imagination. Can you not ignore the petty defects and see it how you want it to be?

19. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

New England? I took Templar so I got a London police woman with a 'proper' English accent. And it's absolutely fucking dire.

And no, ON. The world don't work like that, really.

OmniaNigrum and mining like this.
  20. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I was talking about the police woman in that New England town that they send you to first (all factions are sent there). You meet her at the police station (it's the first big quest hub in the game).

And 'on' is common idiomatic speech -- I'm not sure where it comes from but it' is common usage, at least around these parts.

FYI, people used to make fun of me because when I went away to college, I would say things like 'shut the lights' or 'close the lights'. I knew that wasn't proper, but you don't think about that when speek informally. It's how my family talks, and just about everyone around me. A lot of it probably comes from Yiddish (by way of German). English majors better get used to the fact that so long as communication is happening, people aren't going to change how they speak informally. If I was being formal, I'd probably put more thought into it. But I'm not.

OmniaNigrum likes this.