A (somewhat) Radical Propsal for Wandcrafting

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Essence, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Add Savvy scaling. :)

OmniaNigrum and Vitellozzo like this.
  2. mining

mining Member

I'd say its wrong going about it by directly trying to transcribe a scale: I'd lean towards get some 'reasonable' numbers for savvy throughout the dungeon, then figure out roughly what numbers you want and kludge it together.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Nacho

Nacho Member

That sounds much, much harder than just swapping Sagacity for Savvy Mining. Like I said, there's already a transcribable scale. 1 Magic Power = 2 Sagacity. And since Sagacity and Savvy are both primary stats, there's no reason we couldn't replace one with the other. All we have to do is figure out roughly how much magic comes from equipment and skills vs Sagacity, then add that to the equation.

Vitellozzo likes this.
  4. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

The last time i played a bankster many effects scaled based on what floor I was on.

5. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

I think there are lot's of magical items boosting :magic_power: or :sagacity:, while I've saw just some artifact boosting :savvy:.
    So, 2,5 savvy against 1 magic power?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Nacho

Nacho Member

If 1:magic_power: = 2 :sagacity: 2:savvy: , then we need to divide all the scaling by 2 when we switch from :magic_power: to :savvy:. So a wand that currently deals .(10+.2:magic_power:) damage would need to deal (10+.1:savvy:) We're looking for a number slightly smaller than 2 to divide it by to take into account :magic_power: gained from magical items and skills like Magic Training. I was thinking 1.6, which assumes 80% of all your :magic_power: comes from :sagacity: , and 20% from other sources.

The other thing we could do is base it on :haywire: chance. 1 :haywire: = 2:savvy: 2 :sagacity:=1:magic_power:, so 1:haywire:1:magic_power:. That would avoid all the hassle with scaling and let us just do a clean 1 to 1 switch, assuming :haywire: isn't significantly more or less common than :magic_power: on items. Plus I think it's a tad more flavorful.

Side note: Wand Crafting will need to switch from giving :sagacity: to giving :savvy:.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  7. Wootah

Wootah Member

Wouldn't it be better if it scaled to both :savvy: and :caddishness:? Then it works for rogues and warriors? I really think that some wands should work better with one stat than with other (to the flavor of the wand and the class).
    For example I would want a Wand of Meat scaling better with:caddishness: while an Arcane Wand would scale better with :savvy:.

To me this seems like the obvious solution since casters already have tons of option 1 for ranged combat. If they are going to pick up wands it is going to be mostly for out of combats (option 2). and the insane encrusts

Finally, wandcrafting's biggest weakness is the number of crusts available.

There have been threads and even Dev commenting that it isn't easy to make and design wands. Well, that may be true, but I don't think it should be true of the crusts. Looking at spellDB, I count only 7. Most of them are about :magic_power:,:haywire:,:mana:. The design space is wide open! I mean why couldn't you encrust a wand of Laser to your sword to add sick damage on hit? Or a wand of Zodiac to have a chance on being hit to dispel a single random negative buff? Then you could make the encrust procs still scale to :wand_burn: while the new system makes the wands more powerful with the :savvy: and :caddishness: scaling. Plus there is less risk for abuse by players because you can't double stack procs (as far as I am aware).

Kazeto, OmniaNigrum and Vitellozzo like this.
  8. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

BRILLIANT IDEA:
    Let us encrust wands. With pieces of equipment! Think about it - wand of Swordify! I'd totally go for that.

Or not.

I think I hear a thread in the CE section calling me...

OmniaNigrum, Vitellozzo and Essence like this.
  9. Nacho

Nacho Member

Just :caddishness: would be enough for that, since both Rogues and Warriors get 2 points of that per level. Or else critical chance, which scales with :caddishness:.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

It can work, giving both warriors (less) and rogues (more) help from the wands.
    Just give only some wands that :caddishness: and for the others stick with :savvy: so rogues are better at using those than warriors, without giving the cool gun just to a class.
    And leave it a Wizard skill.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Nacho

Nacho Member

If we're scaling them all to :savvy: , I'm fine with leaving it a Wizard skill, but if any are going to scale to :caddishness:, it needs to become rogue. I don't like things scaling to stats they don't give. Also Ia'm against splitting the wands into :savvy: and :caddishness:. Just pick one stat and stick with it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Essence

I think it should stay a wizard skill and scale all to Savvy.

That said, i think your idea about things not scaling to stats they don't give is silly -- scaling to stats you don't give is how you encourage synergy and create interesting builds. Swords damage scales to Nimbleness, for example, and that's awesome because it creates a definite weapon of choice for Rogue/Warriors. That's not bad design, it's good design.

13. Nacho

Nacho Member

Fine, as long as we both agree with this.

So how much magic power do people think comes from non-saggacity sources? 20%? 40%?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Essence

Just glancing at the equipment lists vs. Fax' massive list of build stats in the References thread, I'd say it's probably less than people think. 20% at most.

OmniaNigrum and mining like this.
  15. Nacho

Nacho Member

Then yeah, we should take whatever scaling each wand uses right now for :magic_power: , multiply it by 0.625, and replace :magic_power: with :savvy:. Then we only need decide what to do with wands that scale to :wand_burn:. That's not as easy to scale to other stats.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Essence

All wands should scale to both :savvy: and :wand_burn: (if they scale at all). So I'd do the Savvy scaling as per your model above and then also add :wand_burn: scaling such that a Wizard that maxxes :wand_burn: finds wands about 150% more powerful than one who relies entirely on :savvy: scaling.

And by 'Maxxes', I mean 'has 10 points of', like 6 from Wandcraft, 2 from Rogue Scientist, 1 from Hat of Bergstrom, and 1 from the Sleeping Pearl thingy. So if you assume that a typical wizard reaches level 30 and thus has 60 base Savvy and another, say, 20 from skills/gear, you want each point of Wandcraft to be worth about 8 points of Savvy.

OmniaNigrum and mining like this.
  17. Nacho

Nacho Member

I think you mean each point of Wandcraft should be worth about 12 points of Savvy. If 1:wand_burn:=8:savvy: then 80:savvy:+10:wand_burn:=160:savvy: , which is 100% more powerful than using only :savvy:. You want 200:savvy: to be 150% more powerful. Unless you meant that using both :wand_burn: and :savvy: should make wands 150% as powerful (which sounds a lot better to me), in which case each point of Wandcraft should be worth about 4 points of Savvy, for 120:savvy: at level 30 with a maxed out wand skill and 20 :savvy: from skills/gear.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  18. Essence

Er...yeah. As. Not more. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Nacho

Nacho Member

Thought so.

So Arcane wand, which currently deals [​IMG] ( 10 + [​IMG][​IMG] 2 ) [​IMG] ( 2 + [​IMG] ). would deal [​IMG] ( 10 + [​IMG][​IMG] 2 +:savvy: [​IMG] 0.5 ) [​IMG] ( 2 + [​IMG]+ :savvy: [​IMG] 0.25 )

And Handy Wand, which currently casts Psychokinetic Shove for the normal [​IMG] ( 2 + [​IMG][​IMG] 0.15 ) to a 3x3 square will instead deal [​IMG] ( 2 + :savvy: [​IMG] 0.09375+ [​IMG][​IMG] 0.375)

That look right to you?

Also, do you want to do anything to Wand of Laser, which doesn't scale at all, and so won't be boosted at all? Fiery Wand is going to completely outclass it after this.

Essence and OmniaNigrum like this.
  20. Essence

Yeah, the idea of a nonscaling wand is garbage.