OS X Snow Leopard Crash upon going down stairs

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Arron Syaoran, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I just went downstairs from floor 5 to floor 6 today, and the game just crashed. I don't know what I'm going to do in dredmor if I keep encountering bugs like this. Maybe I should quit entirely until Dredmor becomes crashproof. Here's the crash log:

Attached Files:

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Can you upload the save? does it crash again when you go down?

3. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I dont have the save file(i died in PD). The second time I went down the stairs it didn't crash. It only seems to crash once in a while while generating a new floor. It never crashes if the floor has already been generated.

Edit: When I get to the later floors, the Dungeon generator seems to lag more when generating a new floor. The crashes never seem to happen on floors 1-4. The first crash i've encountered was going from floor 5 to floor 6.

4. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Arron, I notice that in your sig you mention installing FaxPax, and that you're also working on your own mod. Just curious whether or not you have any of these mods running when these crashes are happening? Last I knew, FaxPax had a couple of known crash bugs in it. Haven't tried the latest version, personally, so they may be fixed, but it's certainly worth poking around the appropriate thread to see if it's still unstable.

The nature of the crash (happening when a floor is generated) sounds like it's being caused by either a room or item with a typo or bad file reference in it. It's really easy to accidentally create such a broken item or room while modding.

5. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

These crashes were happening in pure vanilla mode. I was doing a Pure Rogue Run, and I wanted it to be authentic(no mods). Unless one of the mods permanently corrupted vanilla files, I doubt mods have anything to do with it. By the way, I haven't installed FaxPax yet. I've been busy with Pure Class Runs in vanilla and my own mod progress. I always remember to turn off my mod when I play Pure Rogue.

6. saneman

saneman Member

Confirming CDT when descending stairs or starting a new game. OS X Lion, unmoddified DoD + three official expansions.

Crash appears when building a new floor.

Also, the Steam cloud refuses to sync with DoD.

7. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

So... is there a workaround?

8. Daynab

We still need either a save (preferably) or a crash dump for this :(

9. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

oh hell I hope I didn't finally dry my tears and delete it god dammit.

Well I'm sure it'll happen again, but I can't promise it isn't FaxPax or something, because I have more mods than your body has room for.

10. snoop

snoop Member

I had the game crash upon descending from 1 to 2. I recovered from the autosave, went down the stairs again and later saved and quit, figuring there was no big problem. When I tried to reload just now I came back at my first save halfway through lvl.1! So maybe this reversion to the previous save (there's another thread with this specific bug on OSX) was related to the first going-down-stairs crash. If I should send someone the save tell me how to find it and I will, but I don't think it will help since it is now an old save from before the crash. All in all, a disappointing introduction to the game...

11. snoop

snoop Member

Alright, just CTD again when I went down from 2 to 3 for the first time. Maybe it's something related to level generation? Someone please tell me where to find my save (OSX 10.6, on Steam) and I'll upload it. I've attached the crash log.

Attached Files:

12. Daynab

~/Library/Application Data/Gaslamp Games/Dungeons of Dredmor I believe.

13. snoop

snoop Member

I finally found all of the Steam games in ~/Library/Application Support/Steam etc., but I couldn't find anything that seemed like a saved game in the DoD stuff. Too late now, as I've continued on! I haven't had the disappearing save happen again, it's not really a big deal just to restart from the autosave in that case.

14. TJSlipperman

TJSlipperman Member

I'm also having the CTD problem trying to proceed to Floor 6, too... Should I reinstall/verify integrity of the game, or is this something that we'd have to wait on the next patch for? (My OS is Win 7, by the way)

(EDIT - Managed to get as far as floor 8, after constant reloading from CTDs...)

(EDIT 2 - Also, I'm able to go a couple floors farther in "No Time To Grind" mode, as opposed to regular floors...I take it this might be a memory issue with the game?)

15. Daynab

Next patch.