Windows XP Consistent crash upon entering Wizardlands

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Hawkslight, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Hawkslight

Hawkslight Member

I am experiencing a consistent crash upon attempting to enter the Wizardlands through the pocket dimension door. I can enter the address for a Wizardland and see the door light up, but as soon as I click on the door to attempt to go through it, the game crashes with a File Not Found error. This file has been dungeon/kitchen_counter.png three times and dungeon/tesla_coil.png twice in my five attempts to enter Wizardlands.

I have reinstalled the game through Steam's "Delete Local Content" option and used the -nukesteamcloud parameter to delete all my saved games and high scores, but the problem persists.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Can you upload your save where this happens?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Hawkslight

Hawkslight Member

I think the problem is with my installation, not the game itself, but regardless -- here you go. Also, I can't verify the crash and then use the same code again, so I've set up the wizard portal with a fresh code since it's consistently crashed no matter which Wizardland I try to enter. Standing in front of the portal with the code entered; entering is what crashes me every time with a file not found error.

Attached Files:

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Daynab

Are you by any chance missing the second expansion, You Have To Name The Expansion Pack?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Hawkslight

Hawkslight Member

Looks like that was the problem. Thank you.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Todd Camnitz

Todd Camnitz Member

I have the exact same problem described above. Playing on OS X. I realized I didn't have YHTNTEP, so I downloaded that. Still crashed every time I try to go through the door in the pocket dimension after entering a valid code. Deleted everything, re-downloaded everything via steam. Started brand new game. Still crashing whenever I try to walk through the pocket dimension door. I see you ask for save files, but I don't know how to find the file on my mac, wherever it's hidden.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Daynab

Saves are in ~/Library/Application Support/Dungeons of Dredmor, please upload if you have one.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Has anyone screamed 'BERGSTROM!!!!' yet? The crashes described in the initial post are all totally my fault. I sent Nicholas room designs right at deadline, using stuff from YHTNTEP without even considering that not everyone would have YHTNTEP. Not Gaslamp's fault, totally my bad. Sorry.

OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

We contemplated this some time ago with something else, but it wouldn't be as funny as screaming "FAAAAX!" so we didn't.

But then again, correct me if I'm wrong with my train of thoughts but I see no reason for anyone to have CotW but no YHTNTEP, so why?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Ghira

Ghira Member

After CoW hit desura but before yhtntep hit Desura _I_ was in the situation you describe for a while. I agree that I can't
    see any reason for anyone still to be in this situation.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  11. Todd Camnitz

Todd Camnitz Member

Thanks for the path - found the saves. But when I click "Upload File" below, the "select file to upload" window won't let me choose my actual savegame folder (drizzt.dredmorsave) for upload. I can look at the folder contents in the upload window, but all its contents are greyed out as well. Is there any other way I can send you the save folder?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Daynab

Actually we may have found the answer - which expansions do you have?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Jochem Liem

Jochem Liem Member

I can consistently reproduce the problem. Entering the dimensional portal and trying any of these codes (Mutlioolechgorcra,
    Eytwelechgorcha, Argewngorgorzar) results in a crash: "An error! File named dungeon/tesla_coil.png not found. The game will probably crash!"

I'm using MacOSX 10.6.8 on a Macbook Pro (2009 version) 2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo (4 GB ram). I bought
    Dungeons of Dredmor Complete from Steam (Dungeons of Dredmor, Dungeons of Dredmor: Realm of the Diggle Gods, Dungeons of Dredmor: Conquest of the Wizardlands).

My autosave is attached.

Attached Files:

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Daynab

Go to the You Have To Name The Expansion store page and click install. Because it's free, Steam doesn't install it automatically, and it seems like some of the portals depend on having it (which we should fix).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Jochem Liem

Jochem Liem Member

That seems to have solved the problem. Many thanks! :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Headhunter99

Headhunter99 Member

i am having the same problem and im using windows 7

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Have you tried the solution proposed by Daynab?

Just asking to make sure.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. buckgodot

buckgodot Member

I'm yet another poor wanderer with a consistant crash upon entering wizardlands. I'm running off Steam with Vista, and according to Steam both the name the expansion pack and the wizard lands pack are installed. I also tried deleting all local content and reinstalling from scratch. Still no luck.

I haven't purchased the Diggle gods expansion yet. Do I need that to run Wizardlands?

Thanks ahead of time for any advice, I'm really looking forwards to seeing what the wizardlands have to offer.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

You don't necessarily “need it”, but since some of the content of the wizardlands is dependent on them you'll find the game crashing from time to time (some wizardlands will work, many won't) if you don't.

So yeah, I do recommend getting the first expansion pack.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

So I actually found this in my lump of Dredmor tickets today (Daniel is making me organized.) I could have sworn I fixed it.

Bergstrom: what content did you use from YHTNTEP in the Wizardlands? I can quickly fix it.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.