Put a little Brax store in the Pocket Dimension

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by SkyMuffin, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

But you're already in the pocket dimension. Stuff you that you plan on selling won't take up inventory space until you get to the store anyway. It'll be on the floor in the pocket dimension. Not in your inventory.

2. PizzaSHARK!

PizzaSHARK! Member

Yeah. Unsurprisingly, I don't like the addition of the pocket dimension. I like to play as if it doesn't exist, except for using the portal. Of course, Dredmor is designed as "babby's first Roguelike," (that's not a bad thing!) so it makes sense to loosen up some of the traditional Roguelike elements.

3. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I went back and forth and sold everything to Brax anyway even before the Pocket Dimension was added. The pocket dimension simply eliminated a lot of pointless walking back and forth through cleared levels. Walking back and forth through cleared levels isn't fun; It's tedious. This simply eliminates even more pointless and tedious back-and-forth.

Turbo164 and Essence like this.
  4. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

The problem with this is that Dredmor has never utilized limited inventory space as something that was actually an issue. Before the Pocket Dimension, people would just dump crafting materials in a big pile, and transport them to the next floor as they advanced. Now you can explore the dungeons with 10 different types of potions, 5 different bolts, 5 different throwing items, 2-4 foods, a couple of wands, and still have extra space. Inventory space is not and has never been a strategic issue in this game, and it's silly to force it.

If inventory space was really an explicit, strategic aspect of this game, then items on the ground would disappear after a set number of turns, and the Pocket Dimension would not even exist as an option for players (or it would have a huge cooldown like 1000 turns). The way this game is set up, you are actually encouraged to hoard as much stuff as possible, since throwing, wands, bolts, etc., are all very effective no matter what skill trees you've chosen. You are also encouraged to collect and sell as much as you can, since there is no penalty or timer on how often you can go to shops.

You might like a game where the inventory is set up like that, but this is not that kind of game. To call it "overpowered" when it's actually just a matter of convenience for 99% of the players out there is silly.

Essence and Bohandas like this.
  5. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

I cannot sell things in the PD, but the extra tiles show up.
    It's just that there is no shop there.

6. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Does Brax appear? Or the pedestals?

7. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Just the floor space, and the walls. Aside from that, it's no different from another piece of pocket dimension.

8. Essence

Obviously the devs anticipated this development and hardcoded against it. :(

Vitellozzo likes this.
  9. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

I was thinking...
    Code:
      <row text="    #####        "/>
      <row text="    #######      "/>
      <row text="######.1.#########"/>
      <row text="#..##.....##..#ii#"/>
      <row text="#..#.......#..#ii#"/>
      <row text="#.............#ii#"/>
      <row text="#.............#XX#"/>
      <row text="#......2......s.S#"/>
      <row text="#.............#XX#"/>
      <row text="#..#.......#..#ii#"/>
      <row text="#####.....########"/>
      <row text="    #######      "/>
    This is your modded PD. Well, I wonder why did you put those X over there, since the simbol stands for "impassable but clear-looking tile".
    Maybe it's because of this that this mod doesn't work?
    Also, what "i" means? And shouldn't "s" be a "shopkeeper block area"? I can just walk through s . S, XX north and south block any futher step. Maybe one could sell items just on the "i" tiles?

10. Essence

The X's were there as a prank. The 'shopkeeper block area ' just means that Brad stands there when you're holding an unpurchased item.

11. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

And the "i"? Does that means i are shop tiles?
    Anyway, those X were blocking the passage, making it impossible to walk in the whole new space, but there wasn't anything on those tiles; just blank, unwalkable path.

12. Essence

The 'i's are supposed to be pedestals. But as above, it's kind of obvious that there's just no code for shopkeepers or pedestals in the Pocket Dimension. :(