Whining: Does Krong ever do anything useful?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Psiweapon, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

Seriously, there's a character with which I've been consistently putting items in Krong anvils, and he is consistently displeased with me. I throw into anvils all duplicate equipment, I could have multiples of the "...don't make a right" achievement by now.

2. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Every once in a veeeeeery long while he gives you a thaumite weapon. That's pretty funny...

3. Warlock

Warlock Member

......Was your luck really THIS bad?

I get a curse only once every 15 or so anvils. Maybe the odds are just against you.

4. Anvils are best for any new equipment you obtain with high artifact levels that is also un-enchanted. The first enchants on artifacts get multiple positive stats. Aside from that, you can always pray to RNG for a good weapon modifier.

5. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It depends on your luck, Psiweapon. If your luck is average, most of the time you'll get nothing worth your time but occasionally you'll get things like a +3 bonus to sight/armour absorption/trap sight, which makes this item worth something for 2~3 floors (or more, if the bonus was one to trap sight and your character has that stat really low); if your luck is low, don't hope for much but you can try to krong your items if you have spares; if your luck is good, on the other hand, you get a Maslech (a "holy crap is that thing" kind of equip).

6. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Combined with encrusting, Krong can turn a mediocre piece of equipment (IE a great warhammer) into a suitable replacement for a high tier piece of quipment (IE a flail of peliades).

Exile likes this.
  7. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, if you get lucky. If your luck is particularly bad, you might end up with an amulet of ultimate woe like I once got (a plastic ring I kronged repeatedly for the heck of it; ifs stat balance was close to 0, but it had -4 sight, -5 AA, and -3 trap sight).

8. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Krong odds are supposedly slightly stacked in favor of the player.

Exile likes this.
  9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Yes, they are. Slightly. But that doesn't mean you can't get lucky or unlucky once in a while and get either something akin to Maslech or something that makes you want to ask "why would you do that to me, Krong?".

10. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

It's 5/7 for a positive krong, IIRC. It's high enough to give the player a positive numerical average, but the chance for a negative enchant is also high enough (2/7) to create "runs" of 2-4 negative enchants in a row to feel as if it's stacked against the player. And since some stats hold greater qualitative value than others, it feels worse when you get a bad enchant. :p

Kazeto likes this.
  11. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Yeah, we really really really need a player skill that removes negative Krong effects. (pssst...)

Bohandas likes this.
  12. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

I call SHENANIGANS on that. I'd say it's been five or seven krongings since I got, not something usable, just anything other than "krong is displeased with you". Counting across several characters.

In fact, I think I'm going to always krong something (whatever) from now on and keep noting down the results, because nothing else is going to convince me that krong is not a total dick

(Take that, Krong, go and tell Armok if you want, I don't care)

TheJadedMieu and Essence like this.
  13. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

There is a 5/7 chance to get a positive result, average bonus is 2 points.
    There is a 2/7 chance to get a negative result, average penalty is 4 points.

So after 7 krongings, your item ought to have 2 bonus points, on average.

So no shenanigans, you just were unlucky. As I said before, it all boils down to mere luck, because statistically the odds do favour the player.0

14. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

Yeah well, then keeping track of all kronging over a long time should only vindicate your statements - riiight?

15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

In theory, yes. But do you really want to get a data pool of thousands of krongings just to make it fair instead of just accepting the fact that your luck with krongings is poor? The data was pulled from the game's innards and is pretty much confirmed.

But, in case you decide to have a go at it - good luck.

16. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

ah hah. that's why it always feels like a lot. i didn't know negative krongs were purposefully stronger.

17. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

Why do you assume I have any interest in investing days of my life in order to make it fair?

18. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I am assuming that you don't (who would, honestly?), which is why I asked.

19. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

You forgot to divide. The average bonus is two sevenths.

20. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

You forgot to read the entire sentence. And no, I am not trying to be mean, merely informative.