Come Bitch About Skills! [Skills Rebalance Brainstorming]

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Essence, Jun 14, 2012.

1. mining

mining Member

Yeah, but that's ugly.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Inelegant, perhaps. Ugly? Only if you don't know how to not make it so.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Yeah, but these are core skills. I don't want to get too haxxor with them, because at some point some newnmodder is going to look at the core code and be all like 'holy carp! This is wack yo!'

Kazeto, I don't think I understaffed your idea. Please to detail?

OmniaNigrum and Vitellozzo like this.
  4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

That is understandable. In this case just go with the "two abilities on the same tier" thing and it will work without being too complicated.

You mean the one with consolidating triggers? Think about what you wanted to do with Deadshot to make ranged procs trigger - it would be the same here, only without "requirebuffontrigger" and with a lower than 100% chance to get triggered.

Also, get some sleep Essence. You're mixing your words.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Essence

Gaddamn autocorrect. :rolleyes:

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Yeah, I hate that thing too sometimes.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. mining

mining Member

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha YHTNTEP is kind of core and has Warlock. Lol.

And all the Ruigi stuff.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Essence

...are you saying that Arcane Capacitor is hacky?

OmniaNigrum and Daynab like this.
  9. mining

mining Member

Code:
    I was going to put the arcane capacitator spells here, but the forums said NOPE NOPE NOPE
    Yeah, just a little.

I think it's easier to understand how two level 4s for a skill works, provided it's commented, than that mass of code, lol.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

No, merely uses a bit of code.

The hacky skill tree is "Chronomancy".

OmniaNigrum and Essence like this.
  11. Essence

Nah, Arcane Capacitor isn't hacky -- it's all totally followable XML. Hacky, like Kazeto implied above, is when people are doing things with the XML that are entirely not comprehensible to the people reading it.

For example, how is a modding newb supposed to know that having 2 level 4 skills would do anything other than "use the last one in the document", like it does with spellDB entries? Archmage is hacky. Arcane Capacitor is merely an obscenely large amount of code to accomplish a goal that, in the end, is simply 'hitting stuff harder'. :D

OmniaNigrum, Vitellozzo and Kazeto like this.
  12. mining

mining Member

Because you chuck a comment in

<!-- If you put two level 4 skills, you can put two on-hit effects on said skill. See Dredmod wiki for more info -->

13. lujo86

lujo86 Member

On the subject of complaining about skills, here some:

1) BGH - I can't make heads or tails out of what it's supposed to be. I'm using it all the time as it speeds me through levels, but:

lvl 4 - I can't find an accurate description of what lvl 4 does. Some places sayes it boosts the XP gain (this I like) and smoe mention some sort fo hunters strike which triggers on a killing blow. I see this happen and have no clue what it does. If this skill could get modded to be clear about what it does, I'd be able to tell whether it's worth putting in a build or not, or lvling past lvl1

lvl 3 - i like the lure as an idea, an aoe debuff that lasts a good while. But it's so vague in what it actually does, and if it did ANYTHING but debuff and make enemies hostile, it'd be well worth shooting for on its own. If it made enemies go straight at you it would be great for AoE guys and making monsters charge through traps, which would in my eyes make it a decent capstone. If it made spellcasters shut up, it would again make a decent capstone. If it allowed you to alert only the enemies you debuff and not any more while staying way back, it would be good. If you got it at lvl 1 and subsequent lvls just made it better (added +XP to lured enemies, added silence, added butchery, added...) then you could make a damed fine tree.

Adding ammo recovery rate to skills would also combine well with the whole "set up traps, stay back, lure guys to you and pelt them with projectiles" thing.

2) Perception - Nobody ever mentioned this, but how about putting the laser sight down as your first skill point and letting it get better as you pick other ones up and thus inceese your sight range?

3) Emomancy - has one or two skills too many in there. The capstone is meh, and the sigil of whatever is also meh, and this makes the mark of the black eyeliner at the same time a heavy investment and not all that good. The recent changes to debuffs also make the cure rather lacklustre (allthough I haven't been using the CotWL skills too much so I might be wrong about this), so a buff to it's healing might be in order. The teleport, the acid, the anti-magic and the eyeliner are all good, but the rest feel like theyre just there to give you something gain wizard lvls from

4) Paranormal investigator - the alien autopsy thingy is way too deep in the tree. The only reason I see to pick it up is for the cheap low level artifact manufacture with archeology for leveling purposes, and by the time you get it you'll be needing to make bigger artifactis and more points in actual crafting skills to make them.

5) Blood magic - whatever the higher lvl's do, it's probably not worth it compared to just taking the first skill, and the first skill can keep so many "hungry" buffs going that it's gamewarping.

6) Demonology - maybe reworking it a bit into having any sense beyond celestial circle?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Ryvian

Ryvian Member

For crossbow skills, I think the capstone skill allows you to fire imaginary bolts (it doesn't take actual bolts to fire). In a sense, I've found myself always taking tinkering with crossbow skills because i needed to hold 5 different bolts at all time because I never knew when I might run out of bolts from vending machines or random picked up bolts. Maybe something like pull of 8 shots of imaginary bolts with a 80 turn cooldown in the case of an emergency.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  15. Essence

Somehow I had left the nerf to Dual Wield out of my changelog back on Page 8, that's added in now.

16. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Why is Et Tu still scaleable with :magic_power:? I think :crit: is more appropriate, since the nonmagic effect and all that blood.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Essence

Ayup.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

One the one hand, it gives you a reason to try and up your :crit:. On the other hand, :crit: is already something you want high especially on deeper floors where monsters have high counter, and :magic_power: scaling makes Assassination a worthwhile support skill where it would not be with :crit: scaling. :magic_power: scaling also adds a very appropriate gear restriction; what assassin lugs around heavy armor?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Nacho

Nacho Member

I'm not a big fan of inter-skill scaling like that. I'd rather the skills you take as a warrior scale to how good a warrior you are, the skills you take to be a mage scale to how good a mage you are, and the skills you take as a rouge scale to how good a rouge you are. You shouldn't have to train yourself in Mathmagic or carry around orbs to make your assassination skills stronger. Mages specialize in long range damage, while Assassination requires you to attack from close range to get any of its effects. A mage shouldn't be picking assassination, and an assassin shouldn't be buffing his magic power too much- he has other things to worry about.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

I think Hunter's Strike should proc also on crossbow shots, since we all know and love shooting hunters.

OmniaNigrum likes this.