Dredmor 1.1.3 Beta Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Nicholas, Sep 21, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I set my paging file to the exact size of my physical RAM. I can play all the latest games without crashes just like that. (Starting size and largest size are identical too. 4096 MB.)

*Edit* Except I should clarify that I have not tried 1.1.3 yet, so not *ALL* games...

Exile likes this.
  2. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Hmm...interesting. I don't have a gig of free space on my hard drive, but maybe I can delete some of the old crap I never use and try that. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

And I always had it set to some sort of absurdly high value; it is equal to my RAM now but only because I went from less physical ram to 8 GB, and the size of the paging file was always set at 8 GB for this computer. This is mostly because, while I never played RAM-intensive games (I think the most intensive one I have is Bastion, thought I might be wrong there, and it is a rather recent addition to my collection), I used this computer for various stuff at my university (including working in CAD environment, and doing... things in MatLab, and generally things that are just as RAM-intensive as games).

Either way, I think it would be good if you set your paging file size at 4 GB somehow, Essence. It is not the "required minimum" or anything like it, but unless you really don't have any space on your HDD (though a free USB port and 15$ can fix that, seeing as you can just buy a data stick and force your system to use it for paging data) it is good to have at least that much because nowadays programs use such amounts when they get a "calculation request spike".

PS. Either way, I think that you can only go above 4 GB if your OS is a 64-bit version. I think, because I haven't had a 32-bit OS for a few years and so my memories are a little vague there.

4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Off topic, but you can enable PAE mode in XP, Vista, and Seven, as well as Mac OS X and pretty much every version of Linux made in the last six or seven years. So the less than 4GB stuff really does not apply. (PAE = Physical Address Extension) Note that it can be a pain to get things working right in certain situations, but I honestly do not remember any specific details.

Exile likes this.
  5. borsook

borsook Member

To clarify - you can set your paging file to 120 gb if you want, 4gb limit is about physical RAM. Also paging file on a usb might not be a good idea, as it is not fast enough.

Kazeto likes this.
  6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Well, if he does not have the space on his hard drive, a USB drive is not the fastest, but it is certainly the cheapest. And it is probably still better than not using enough. Also if you shop around you can get a really cheap SSD to use for no more than $30-50 USD.
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=636&name=Internal-SSD&Order=PRICE

And here is one that is 60GB size, for $50 with a $20 Mail-in-Rebate. So it is $30 eventually.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227811

You can put your paging file on it, and reinstall all your games on it too if you do not use too much at a time. Certainly put your browser and profile on it. It will greatly hasten your PC.

Exile and Kazeto like this.
  7. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

You are likely right. It's been a long time since I actually used a 32-bit system so I have to admit I didn't really pay attention to which one is limited.

And yeah, a data stick is not the best choice when you want it to be fast, but I only mentioned it because Essence mumbled something that could be meant as him not having any excess space on his HDD to increase the size of his computer's paging file (and "slow paging file" is much better than "small paging file" because it's not that fast to begin with and it really only serves as a buffer for the rare moments when your computer has a memory use spike, and for keeping data that has to be loaded into memory but is seldom accessed), and if he were to buy a new HDD to serve for that it would've been cheaper for him to get a new RAM chip.

Essence and OmniaNigrum like this.
  8. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Hey let's get back to the beta feedback.

borsook, Kazeto and Essence like this.
  9. borsook

borsook Member

EDIT> corrected findings

If I got this right - if you have tourism and use celestial circle, upon being hit you get effects of drinking booze (include mana regain). This is really strange.

10. Indiggles

Indiggles Member

Do you have the Baron's Hat equipped? It does something like that if I'm not mistaken.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. borsook

borsook Member

Yes! And indeed removing it solves it. but is this WAD or a bug?

12. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

WAD The Baron's Hat procs drunkenness on you.,

SkyMuffin and OmniaNigrum like this.
  13. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

Just wanted to note that this also affects the "Emergency Dungeon Warning System" room, with the diggle nest that is blocked by a fountain on one side and a breakable door on another.

14. borsook

borsook Member

I have nothing against that, but it also seems to regenerate mana, is this part WAD too?

15. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

This has always been an issue, but it's even more of one now with HP shown-- when there is an item on the same tile as an enemy, the item tooltip always takes priority over the enemy tooltip.

16. borsook

borsook Member

17. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

Broke the tooltips for some traps.

[​IMG]

Here's how it happened:

1. Went to Brax's shop, then went to pocket dimension
    2. Dropped my whole inventory to pick up crafting ingredients, made some thermite and concussion bombs
    3. Dropped crafting materials, picked up inventory again
    4. Left pocket dimension-- then my trap tooltips were broken.

It seems to have only affected some of my traps-- Acid Sprayer, Tesla Mine, Dwarven Landmine. Thaumite, Shoddy Dwarven IED, and Firespout Mine show up fine.

When I walk out of Brax's store, hovering over those traps with missing names shows up as blank without any tooltip.

I seem to have fixed the tooltip issue by dropping the traps and picking them back up. Works whether I drop the whole stack or just one. HOWEVER, if I only drop one and then pick it up, I get XP for "disarming" it.

Edit: Another bug! My crossbow got "It infects your enemies with ravenous thaumites" from a Kronging, but now my melee attacks also cast thaumites sometimes. :confused:

18. valzi

valzi Member

Another broken Diggle thing: "Round up, one and all! Shoot the Diggles and Win Prizes!" The place where you step on dart traps to kill diggles is broken because the diggles just keep digging endlessly with no chance to shoot them. It really slows the game down too, since you have to wait for them to dig after every single step in that area.

19. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I'm pretty sure that's a mod room from Interior Dredmorating. :p

20. valzi

valzi Member

Is it? I thought I was running into that room when I had no mods turned on. Whoops!