So the game crashes when I died

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by FurryDragon, Sep 28, 2012.

1. FurryDragon

FurryDragon Member

I...can't find Context menu...

2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Right mouse button - it's called "right button menu", "context menu", and some other names.

3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

They said they could save properly though the saves are somewhere. FurryDragon, are you the only user on this computer?

4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

You know, I haven't thought of that...

It might be the reason why permissions would be messed up in the first place.

5. FurryDragon

FurryDragon Member

It won't run
    yes I'm the only one.
    Maybe I should jsut stop and wait for a patch or something...

6. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Wait... What won't run?

Won't do. You are, like, the second person ever to have this problem and not be able to do anything about it. Even if we do assume that it's the game's fault and not a hiccup of your operating system's, they don't have nearly enough test data to even try to fix it.

7. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Might as well ask it outright: through what platform did you buy it? Steam, HiB, Desura?

8. FurryDragon

FurryDragon Member

Steam
    yeah when I click on it, it just crashes.

9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

When you click on what then what crashes?

And is it after setting the permissions, or before that, or during that?

Or, basically, any information about what you were doing when "something crashed". Because what I have now is "something crashed" and what I can give you as a reply with that is "and how is that supposed to help me help you?".

10. FurryDragon

FurryDragon Member

just when I click on control program

11. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Wait, what control program? And what were you trying to do there?

If you were trying to follow the instructions I gave you you shouldn't have anything to do with any "control programs", but only with (pretty basic) settings for one folder.

12. FurryDragon

FurryDragon Member

Catalyst control center

13. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Erm, no. You start from the usual "Explorer.exe" program, with the folder you are trying to edit open. Then, you right-click on that folder, and here is where you start the whole thing. Not in some sort of whateverish "control center", and not in any other program. The only "program" you really need is the one that allows you to see folders and your desktop.

Also, I know I'm going to sound irate but your answers are darn too short. I ask two questions, I get one answer. I ask one question, I get one non-answer. It's really difficult that way because I have to fish for information - it took like 8 posts to get to the fact that you couldn't see the right menu because you started from the wrong place, and at the rate it is going fixing the whole problem is going to take another 180.

14. FurryDragon

FurryDragon Member

okay, I right clicked. What do I choose?

Attached Files:

15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

You choose "Properties".

And you can go to the first instruction I posted, then (this one). Now that you know where to start, I think you can get through it. I certainly hope so, for I have to get some sleep now and thus won't be able to reply for a few hours.

Either way, I wish you good luck with the attempt.

16. FurryDragon

FurryDragon Member

Well..... I found out they're all allowed, though...

17. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Then try this:

Instead of running "Dungeons of Dredmor" via Steam's menu, find the executable (from Steam's folder it is "/steamapps/common/dungeons of dredmor/Dungeons of Dredmor.exe") and run it with administrative rights by right-clicking on it and choosing "Run as administrator".

If that helps, then the folder DoD tries to save data to is elsewhere and thus the next step will be finding that folder, wherever it's appeared, and changing the permissions for this one. If it doesn't help, on the other hand, then we'll have to look at it from a different direction.

18. FurryDragon

FurryDragon Member

Well I can't find the file...
    Maybe I should just give up.