XCom

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Haldurson, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

FYI, I just noticed that there is a free demo for this now, downloadable from Steam (possibly elsewhere as well).

The original game was a classic, and while the remake is not exactly the same, what I've seen has gotten me excited. The original was a mixture of turn-based tactics, consisting of battles between your squadron of soldiers, and real-time strategy, which included research, politics, economics, base-building, and so on.

I'll let you know what I think after I spend some time with the demo, but the word-of-mouth and articles on the game, from those who have played it has been very positive.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  2. DragonOfTime

DragonOfTime Member

From what I have heard, the demo is not at all representative of the full game, in the way that the demo is very much an on-rails experience, unlike the rest of the game.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Godwin

Godwin Member

Already pre-ordered :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. Godwin

Godwin Member

Now tried the demo: nice little hour spent: it looks awesome! Definitely very happy with it so far. It's mostly a tutorial, meaning you only get one mission that you can sort of play like you want in the end, but it's cool. It even gives you a choice, so if you want you can play 2 different maps (assuming they don't link to the same battle map of course).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Aegho

Aegho Member

Doesn't run on win XP... ugh.

Oh well I've got several games I'm looking forward to playing on my next computer when I upgrade sometime next year.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Just realized that this should have been in the other games section (sorry).

Anyway, I just played the demo and it ends much too soon. The first part of the demo is 'on rails', as was said, and the second part, where you actually can take control of your squad, is really easy, so I can't comment on most of the game. But what I've seen looks great. The demo battlefields are pretty small, but I understand that they get much larger (obviously, they don't want to 'give away' more than a taste, and the demo certainly gives you a bit of the flavor of the game).

Anyway, I can't wait (yes, I prepurchased as well, actually, as soon as it became available on Steam, based on videos I'd seen about it, but I still wanted to see the demo).

Anyway, T2 will have to hold me over until it comes out (just completed a normal-level run-through with my Berserker, may try an Embermage/Veteran next).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Damn. I need another $250 to buy this, Borderlands 2, and a 2TB hard drive so I stop running out of space... Good video. Looks awesome.

9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I'm sort-of on the fence about it. I mean it looks good, and the approach to women in it is great.

Buuuuuut have you seen what they've done with pre-order DLC? Not sure I entirely agree with it.

10. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

What preorder DLC? No one has said anything about DLC for XCom. In one of the interviews I know that someone asked about map packs and it was never confirmed that they would happen (wasn't quite denied either).

11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

One pack I've seen (something like the "Elite Soldier Pack") contains some classic X-Com themed things, like a blonde, flat-topped soldier.

Second pack I've seen claims to contain bonus customisation options (such as colours) for your soldiers.

12. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

That's a reward for preorder -- just about everyone and their mother does things like that nowadays.

There's actually a logical reason for that -- there is always a cost associated with preordering a non-proven item (an item that has not been reviewed either critically nor by the public). Preorder items like that (which in this case, are simply esthetic items) are meant to partly compensate for or overcome any misgivings that a person may have because of that fact.

The only twist on this tactic is that they have 3 levels of reward (and it looks like they are inevitably going to reach the third tier within a couple of days). The different tiers turn it into some kind of metagame/gamble (Which is silly, since buying an unproven game is already a gamble). But I'm kind of ok with that

13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

That third level is Steam-only. The Elite Forces pack is across most other retailers.

If they release the customisation stuff later as free or as part of a paid-for pack, then fine. But I'm not paying £30 for a game I won't play for, well, ages just to make sure I get some pretty colours.

Pull the other one, 2K.

14. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Wait... so you are ok with giving away an appearance item for free for preorder if and only if they make it available to non-preorder people? And your protest is to... not preorder?

I honestly can't relate.

15. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Customisation options, such as colours, are - in my opinion - part of the core game. If they're pre-order only then they can shove them where the Sun don't shine as far as I care.

Skins? Fine with pre-order only
    Themed items, e.g. TF2 ones? Fine with pre-order only
    Themed squadmember, e.g. the 'Classic X-Com' one? Fine with pre-order only
    Colour options for customisation? No. Just no. They tend to be limited enough as it is.

I'm not protesting, I'm just not buying the game until it's cheaper. Got my eye on the GAME Exclusive edition with the soundtrack.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Godwin

Godwin Member

I kinda agree with Althea, customization colors as unique pre-order are bad, just as in SF X Tekken. It just feels really cheap and you feel cheated.
    In fact I actually dislike all exclusive pre-order stuff. I think they should be buyable always (I don't care if they cost a nice sum).
    It's just the principle that I do not like: basically you are forced to buy it before you can try it out if you want that thingy (and they make it as appealing as possible of course), and for no good reason: it's not as if the 'thing' has costs to it, or it will cost the company more to produce more. No, it's a simple case of copy-paste (granted, somewhere you eventually get the case that bandwith prices will be higher because downloads take longer and stream more data, but that's really far far into the limits that will not be easily reached, imo).

And I was pretty... well... the lighter version of 'shocked' at the tier pre-order reward unlocks. I feel that that sets very bad precedents, as we're moving closer and closer to gambling with that sort of thing. Free to play games often skirt that line as well and I feel it's a bad move (like with selling keys to open chests ingame).
    Games are for playing and fun, and there should be a risk/reward system in them. But if you do the same with real money you get gambling and that gets unethical fast. Especially if you know how easy it is to hook people with the right stimuli.

I really hope those tier rewards will be abolished soon.

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  17. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

It was mentioned in the video you linked in. Did you not watch it all the way through?

18. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

I've beaten both UFO Defense and Terror from the Deep.

I probably would have bought the game eventually, but I preordered it because I wanted this.
    [​IMG]

19. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Is that Guile or just his haircut?

Godwin likes this.
  20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Just his haircut. It's a reference to the earlier X-COM titles.