Mad scientist

Discussion in 'Modding' started by codebracker, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

Essence, how on earth can you tell what codebracker actually wants?

The first thing is obviously hindered by the fact that the player can only control one summoned creature at a time.

The rest doesn't even make any sense. How am I supposed to know what you want, codebracker, when you didn't make any effort to describe what you wanted the spell effect to do?

saying "A buff that when it runs out triggers the next and so on till the last one, but is brittle" does not tell me what you're trying to accomplish. Perhaps the way you tried to implement it doesn't work? We'll never know, since you didn't bother to explain what you were trying to do in the first place.

I looked over most of your stuff and it seems to be easy to do, but since you havent been very helpful in communicating what it is that you'd actually want, I'm not sure I can give you advice.

Now, if you said something along the lines of
    "this is a magic cement sawblade armor technique that coats the players in armor sawblades, but since it's cement it will slowly harden and encumber the player unless enemy melee attacks break it apart thus ending the effect entirely" that would be something I could offer advice on how you could best do it.

Vitellozzo and Essence like this.
  2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

He described it from the mechanical point of view, which is still enough to be able to check whether his bits of code are actually doing what they were intended to do, Ruigi.

But I do agree with you in general.

3. codebracker

codebracker Member

Actually I figured out how to shade them, and will make a robot diggle sprites later

Vitellozzo likes this.
  4. codebracker

codebracker Member

It's not actually that complicated, It's a thought-out-every-possible-move buff that increses in strenght every 10 turns (5 stages), but is interupted (brittle 1) if anyone attacks you on 1-4 (also you instantly advance a stage if you kill a monster).

Also I swaped the robot diggle with the overclock spell, because I made them into a craftable summon.

Also does anyone know how to make a buff charm a moster for as long as it's active?
    Because I'm remaking the chain spell.

PS: any good ideas what overclocking should do?

5. Tonlee01

Tonlee01 Member

Can you do a percentile on effects? Such as 50% chance of greater damage, 25% chance of tougher body, 20% chance of making it a caster minion ( is that even doable?) , and lastly a 5% chance of going haywire and just exploding ( decent sized aoe to mobs and you.)

6. codebracker

codebracker Member

Nope they will all be the same chance
    Do you mean replace it with a robot diggle, or charm him?
    Tougher body for me or him?
    I was trying something about exploding, but it didn't work because I complicated too much

7. Tonlee01

Tonlee01 Member

I figured you were going to have overclocking as a buff for your minion, that way it would just be the one minion instead of trying to get multiple summons types in there (smaller drone diggle and then a large Frankstein monster type) I was thinking you could cast the overclocking spell on the minion (and only can be cast on the already summoned minion- which was also something I was wondering, if that could be done.) and it have a percentile chance to have one of those effects I listed above giving the overclocking spell a bit of a chaos feel. The mad scientist needs his minion to play wall and instead it blows up on him or he needs a hard hitting melee minion that can end things and instead gets a caster. Sadly I do not know coding very well at all and my jobs hours are kinda weird, so its currently difficult to try to pick up the basics at this point. I'm more of a ideas guy. Most of them bad but sometimes they are passable. :) Also I have not gotten the mod yet to check out, but is the minion a summons or did you get it to be a crafting/crafted item? Hopefully before I head home I can grab a copy if up.

8. codebracker

codebracker Member

Actually I made them to be a craftable summoning potion.
    But for some reason it crashes the game

9. Tonlee01

Tonlee01 Member

Hey Code, can those potions be made where they are stronger/ more potent per which tier of your skillset you are on? Like how in crafting skills you get more of something when you skill is high enough? ie diggle eggs into brimstone yielding more brimstone at tier 7 alchemy than at the beginning? <---- Just as a example. If so could it be based off of the mad scientist skill instead of alchemy/tinkering/smithing?

Vitellozzo likes this.
  10. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

I like the idea. It's like bolts: the higher the tinker skill is, the more powerful can be the summon.
    So you can create the first summon which can be useful in lot's of levels, without being too powerful in first levels (since you will not have an high level of tinker).

Tonlee01 likes this.
  11. codebracker

codebracker Member

Yes it's entirely possible, but that would make 2 recepies that look the same, maybe one more ingredient? Also mad science is not a crafting skill, but it can be added to tinkering?

12. Tonlee01

Tonlee01 Member

On the crafting is it a clickable summon at your feet or a tossible potion summoning on hit?

13. Tonlee01

Tonlee01 Member

That's what I was going for Vitellozzo. Code would it be easier to set up the recipes for those like ( is it clockwork or rogue scientist ) where you automatically get the recipes at new levels? That way you could assign them and not have to worry about making them level up or get stronger as your character progresses?.

14. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

I think that yes, you could give the recipe as the clockwork knight does, since it's one of the powers of the build. I also like that one could make one also without the skill, it just need to be find from a random library then. And if you create a recipe with different effect from level to level, you can make a very useful pet summon, balancing it since you have to be a great inventor to summon the most powerful one.
    Btw, I've understood you made them potion like, but maybe you could make a throwable item (like a metallic box) which, upon shattering against floor or a mob, spawn the digglebot.

15. Tonlee01

Tonlee01 Member

Haha I was thinking the same thing and have any that are mechish have it's audible as the transformers well umm transforming, would be so sweet! Maybe not easy or practical though.

16. Konork

Konork Member

Actually, it is possible to make a recipe output a different item based off of skill level. In fact, it's used in the base game, for the Throwing Axe recipe. Here's the XML for it
    Code:
    <craft>
        <output skill="1" name="Throwing Axe" amount="3" />
        <output skill="2" name="Throwing Axe" amount="4" />
        <output skill="3" name="Throwing Axe" amount="5" />
        <output skill="4" name="Nzappa Zap" amount="5" />
        <output skill="5" name="Nzappa Zap" amount="6" />
        <tool tag="smithing" />
        <input name="Crude Iron Axe" />
    </craft>

Vitellozzo likes this.
  17. Tonlee01

Tonlee01 Member

Woot very cool, thanks Konork!

18. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

What about something like
    Code:
    <craftDB>
      <craft hidden="1"> <!-- obviously this is for other characters, mad science knows the way -->
        <output skill="1" name="Lesser digglebot" amount="2" />
        <output skill="2" name=" Lesser digglebot" amount="4" />
        <output skill="3" name="Medium digglebot" amount="4" />
        <output skill="4" name="Medium digglebot" amount="5" />
        <output skill="5" name="Fatal digglebot" amount="5" />
        <output skill="6" name="Fatal digglebot" amount="6" />
        <tool tag="tinkering" />
        <input name="Scrap metal" />
        <input name="Robot thingies" />
      </craft>
    </craftDB>
    If it's something like that, it would be really, really cool to play with. This could be a new way to make pets, and to synergise with craft skills.

19. codebracker

codebracker Member

Actually made it like that, but a throwable weapon, cause potion crashed.
    PS: the new version is up. Haven't got to test it yet, but xml checker says it's ok
    PPS: they're names are: Clockwork diggle, Mecha(nicle) diggle and Diggle droid

Vitellozzo likes this.
  20. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

I luv u.