Only one achievement still broken

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by actreal, Sep 14, 2012.

1. actreal

actreal Member

With the exception of the unattainable Sewer Brew, there is only one achievement I can't get:

You Used All The Glue On Purpose.

After crafting what I thought was significantly more than 500 wands across a number of characters and still no achievement, I ran a little test.

I modded my game so that I started with 501 Burnt Out Wands and 501 Gold Ingots and proceeded to craft 501 Wands of Bling on a brand new game.

Still no achievement, so this one still appears to be broken, even after the others were fixed.

Kazeto likes this.
  2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

In the game proper too, or is it only about the Steam achievement?

3. actreal

actreal Member

Both. I've never had the situation where I got an in-game achievement but not the equivalent Steam one.

4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Then yeah, it's "broken" broken.

5. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

We'll look into it, thanks for the report.

6. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Fixed for the next patch.

actreal and Turbo164 like this.
  7. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Unattainable my ass. It may be the only achievement I ever get, since I don't play on Steam and haven't since they were all fixed, but by God, I will buy David and Nicholas, at the minimum, a beer one day. Hopefully Whitman, too. Just keep coming down to Seattle, guys. :)

Vitellozzo and Kazeto like this.
  8. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Just remember to buy them something drinkable and not a literal sever brew. We do want them to continue making games, after all.

Mashirafen likes this.
  9. actreal

actreal Member

Unattainable for me. I live in Melbourne, Australia and even if one of the guys does visit, the chances of me being able to attend the same drinking venue as them at the same time are slim to none.

10. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

And to be fair, it's one of the few achievements in games of the current time that actually forces you to achieve something in order to get it. Stuff like "do x this many times" or "get level x of that" are pretty basic, and I could even say "rudimentary" because unless you are going out of your way to not get them, you will.

I actually remember the days when not many games had "achievements" (there was no Steam, even) or "challenges" of which even the basic ones often lied above the level casual players could reach, and one had to be really skilled to get them (stuff like "kill Vlad Digula without equipping anything in your hand and crossbow slots and without using any non-warrior skills". And you were a "boss" because you got one out of twelve of them.
    And now? Because of people having some weird issues with having to get everything, you have to be able to get every achievement (which means not many of them are actually worth anything, challenge-wise) because there are idiots who complain if some things are beyond their (arguably rather short) reach. Of course, "Sewer Brew" is a little controversial here because it requires doing things outside of the game, but it is still possible to obtain it, just very unlikely.

PS. No, I was not ranting at you, actreal. It was more of a rant with an unspecified target, put there just so that people who remember games from before just the past few years and are annoyed by the very same thing could feel that someone agrees with them.

11. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Nicholas assures me that Sewer Brew achievement will be working in the next patch. Technically though, I'm not sure if I actually qualify, as Gaslamp was picking up the open bar that night.

EDIT: I hadn't looked at the achievements list in forever (just not a big achievements guy), so I was remembering it as something along the lines of "buy the gaslamp crew a round of drinks". In fact, when I got my chance to meet them at PAX, I brought a wallet full of twenties to accomplish exactly that had they let me. Checking the list now I see it's actually just "Meet a member of Gaslamp Games and consume an Alcoholic Beverage with them." That I did till the room was starting to spin. Glad to know it counts even though they generously picked up the tab.

Kazeto, Daynab and Vitellozzo like this.
  12. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I've never met you personally, but your posts on the forum give me the impression that you are an awesome (you can substitute it with "great" if you think that "awesome" is not a good word) person, and therefore you ought to qualify.

13. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Thank you. I don't know exactly what brought that on, but I do appreciate the kind words.

14. actreal

actreal Member

Understood. I also like achievements that feel like I've actually achieved something. The sole purpose of my original comment was to say "I've been working on getting all the achievements, with the sole exception of Sewer Brew, because I, due to my personal circumstances, can't conceivably get that one."

IRL achievements are a novel idea, but as a confessed completionist who lives in a different continent to the vast majority of developers and conventions, I'd be happy if no other game ever had one again. :)

While I understand the old school desire for challenging achievements, I think a good mix of achievements is best, because different achievements are trying to do different things:
    • Some straight-forward ones so that gamers that just want to play through the story once and move on to other ganes feel like their achievement is recognised
    • Some storyline achievements because it shows how many people who bought the game got how far in the story at least once (probably useful for developers, certainly interesting for data geeks like me)
    • Some achievements that encourage players to try different skills/tactics/builds a few times
    • A few grinding achievements for completionists to work towards over multiple playthroughs (or one big playthrough)
    • A few hidden/puzzle achievements
    • A few "real challenge" achievements for beating harder difficulty levels, or with additional handicaps (like no killing, die less than X times, etc.), or requiring complete mastery of particular skills/tactics
    Some achievements may fit in more than one category above. Not all categories will be applicable to every game.

Even though I like to get as many achievements as I can, as a purely personal goal, I know that there will always be achievements I can't get. For example, even though I love action RPGs like Space Marine, my lack of skill in multiplayer FPS means I'm unlikely to ever get many of the multiplayer achievements.

Turbo164 likes this.
  15. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

16. sSs1897

sSs1897 Member

In my opinion, its too easy to get achievements without permentdeath(esp. get killed by XXX), so :D

17. Frelus

Frelus Member

Nicholas, where can I get a blank of that? Looks like it may spawn many more awesome memes ;)

18. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I think you'll have to ask his wife. Or, in case he doesn't have one (I didn't bother to check, I admit it), ask David to smuggle one for you or something (he is their art guy, after all).