Add crashlog file

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Rakankrad, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Rakankrad

Rakankrad Member

Hey, I'd like to suggest a crash log or something like that to be generated when the game crashes, that would allow those of us who get crashes to generate a better bug report (or fix it ourselves, if it's something caused by mod incompatibility).

I have used the -debug-flag option in steam to see what was causing my crashes (when I go down stairs or click levers) but the window closes way too quickly to be able to see what exactly caused the crash (often times, I'll reload the game, go down the same stairs and no crash, other times, I crash a few times in a row until I chose another staircase).

Bohandas and Vitellozzo like this.
  2. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

There is already a dump file in your dredmor directory. If your using steam, it is here: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dungeons of dredmor. They have the .dmp extension.

EDIT: One is not always generated but they usually are.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Rakankrad

Rakankrad Member

I see.. Thanks.. I got Windbg to check it out, but the file doesn't tell too much :( As an example, here's my latest one (hopefully spoiler tag works on this forum):
    Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.2.9200.16384 AMD64
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\dungeons of dredmor\2012-09-18_10-38-10.dmp]
    User Mini Dump File: Only registers, stack and portions of memory are available

Symbol search path is: *** Invalid ***
    ****************************************************************************
    * Symbol loading may be unreliable without a symbol search path. *
    * Use .symfix to have the debugger choose a symbol path. *
    * After setting your symbol path, use .reload to refresh symbol locations. *
    ****************************************************************************
    Executable search path is:
    Windows 7 Version 7601 (Service Pack 1) MP (2 procs) Free x86 compatible
    Product: WinNt, suite: SingleUserTS Personal
    Machine Name:
    Debug session time: Tue Sep 18 12:33:17.000 2012 (UTC - 4:00)
    System Uptime: not available
    Process Uptime: 0 days 1:55:07.000
    This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it.
    The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr.
    (19dc.eac): Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)
    *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for ntdll.dll -
    eax=00000000 ebx=06af21b0 ecx=0056be9e edx=0a0a40fd esi=06af2170 edi=0018e40c
    eip=77070c22 esp=0018e0cc ebp=0018e0dc iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na pe nc
    cs=0023 ss=002b ds=002b es=002b fs=0053 gs=002b efl=00200246
    ntdll!ZwGetContextThread+0x12:
    77070c22 83c404 add esp,4

I guess I got spoiled by minecraft error logs (I know, java is not anything like what DoD uses):
    Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Slot 152 is already occupied by buildcraft.factory.BlockAutoWorkbench@74301bc4 when adding extrabiomes.plugin.crackedsand.BlockCrackedSand@26f1c74
    at aig.<init>(Block.java:282)
    at aig.<init>(Block.java:315)
    at extrabiomes.plugin.crackedsand.BlockCrackedSand.<init>(BlockCrackedSand.java:27)
    at extrabiomes.plugin.crackedsand.CrackedSand.init(CrackedSand.java:65)
    ... 29 more

Edit: Sorry Daynab! I didn't notice I posted in the wrong Suggestion forum

4. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

When you get a crash and you have a .dmp file, just report the crash upload the file with your report. To upload the file, click the Upload a File button that is the middle button down below on the message creation area.

5. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

How did you even get that? I just got a bunch of weird symbols; What are you supposed to open the files with?

6. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Microsoft visual studio (or maybe another coding IDE, I dunno) but I doubt it could be helpful for you.

Kazeto likes this.
  7. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

In that case I'd like to suggest the generation of a .txt based log in My Documents/Gaslamp Games/Dungeons of Dredmor whenever the game crashes