Dredstuck! (Another Homestuck mod)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by RionKatt, Aug 28, 2012.

1. grimAuxilliam

grimAuxilliam Member

So it turns out while most images have 256 indexed colors, the horrorterror without the red eye has all of 3 colors. The one with the eye has like 17.

Uh oh. This doesn't seem to want to post .rar files. Will have to send you individual images.
    channeler.png grimdark.png horrorterror_2_32.png horrorterror_2_64.png horrorterror64.png thorns_of_oglogoth.png touchedhorror_32.png touchedhorror_64.png

Currently, getting 7-zip.

Got it.
    Good luck little pixels. Godspeed.

Attached Files:

2. RionKatt

RionKatt Member

Nope. Still crashes. I'm thinking it's the code. Since it used to work before. Can someone check my code? Validator says it's fine, but since the game keeps crashing, I dunno...

3. Not completely sure what the issue is (I skimmed the xmls and didn't see any glaring issue, though the mod validator would be MUCH better at that then me :p)

Two things two do that probably would help isolate the problem: convert all the sprites you use into RGB, if it suddenly works then we can pretty safely say the error was with the indexing. The other would be to remove individual XMLs (and any references to them), which can help pinpoint which file the issue is in. (Similarly you can delete blocks of a known problematic XML to see if it'll start working.) (Also uhhhhh it's probably obvious, but make sure to keep backups when you do this :p)

I'll try to do some of this myself if I have time :p

Kazeto likes this.
  4. grimAuxilliam

grimAuxilliam Member

Index errors should have been solved with mtPaint. However, I only indexed the images referenced in the mod.

5. That shouldn't matter; the game won't load them until they're needed.

6. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

There's one item from the mod in the loadout, and the skill tree itself uses custom sprites. But whatever. And they did mention that it only crashes if you choose to use the skill tree from this mod.

I recommend you guys just try using already-existing graphics (from the core game) for everything this mod gives and check if it still crashes. If yes, then indeed there's nothing wrong with the sprites anymore, but if it works fine then, then just replace icons one by one until the game goes to Majorka and you'll know what is broken.

RionKatt, Vitellozzo and OmniaNigrum like this.
  7. RionKatt

RionKatt Member

I'll look into it. Off to work I go.

8. grimAuxilliam

grimAuxilliam Member

AHA! It works now! What I did was add type="weapon" after <loadout in skillDB.xml. I may have messed with the pngs in this case a bit, you can see the thorns have a black background as opposed to transparent. You should do the quick change on your side to make sure all fixes are consolidated.
    Unrelated to the crash, why does grimdark medium give you 0 extra mana?

Attached Files:

Vitellozzo likes this.
  9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

The spell it gives you costs 0 mana.

Vitellozzo likes this.
  10. Crashed when I cast the second-level spell.

11. RionKatt

RionKatt Member

Hmmmmm. I shall look into it. And THANK YOU grim! You saved me so much trouble and sleepless nights. :'D

@ DBI: That's cause I haven't done the effects and requirements needed for the second spell. xD

Edit: And does anyone know how to make a curse?

12. RionKatt

RionKatt Member

Ba-dump. Could really use some guidance on how to make curses.

13. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

A curse like debuff or something more peculiar?
    Because the game has plenty of debuffs, like in the necronomiconomist or in the killer vegan skill trees.

14. RionKatt

RionKatt Member

Ah, nevermind. I just found out how. Not sure how I did it, but I did. o_o

In either case, I think I should make a poll for the swords. Which is strongest, etc.

Vitellozzo likes this.
  15. RionKatt

RionKatt Member

grim, could you start on the swords while I work on the code for the other three skills? I think I'll release Dredstuck with Grimdarkmancy first and then the next few releases would have bug fixes+new skilltrees (Strider Swag & Druknen Mastruy). Or should I release them all as one big pack?

Vitellozzo likes this.
  16. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

You can start releasing just grimdarkmancy with the items, and then add other skill trees to the pack. So we can playtest each of them deeply, and you can track down eventually bugs. If there is everything together it could be a mess.

17. RionKatt

RionKatt Member

Alright. I'll get to it. Recoding some spells and making the other three of Grimdarkmancy. Then I'll test them out and release it when satisfied.

Does anyone happen to know how to make a debuff activate on the player upon learning a skill?

EDIT: Also, what does AoE mean, again? My brain's not on right.

18. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Area of Effect. Those big spells which explode and stuff.

19. grimAuxilliam

grimAuxilliam Member

I'm moving into my apartment over this weekend. It will be some time before I can work on the swords.

20. RionKatt

RionKatt Member

Ah, so I it was on right. I wasn't sure so I asked.

And that's alright, grim. I figure it'll be a while till I get Grimdarkmancy up and running. And I don't thnk Ogloparry would wory since we already have Squidissension. I'm starting to think that maybe this skill tree is getting too powerful. Gonna release it later today and see what all of you think.