Ideas for themed builds?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Cyris Winheim, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Cyris Winheim

Cyris Winheim Member

Ever had any ideas for character builds that go with a certain theme or concept, regardless of how practical they might be? For example, the player characters remind me a bit of Guybrush Threepwood and Elaine Marley, so I was trying to figure out a skill set that Guybrush would probably have. Here's what I came up with:

Piracy -- Guybrush Threepwood, Mighty Pirate(TM)! The most obvious one.
    Swords -- Too bad there's no Insult Swordfighting skill tree. You fight like a dairy farmer!
    Perception -- Guybrush has to have a sharp eye to find everything he needs to solve all those bizarre puzzles...
    Burglary -- ...Even if they already belong to someone else.
    Tourist -- "I found the secret treasure of Melee Island and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"
    Alchemy -- There's no Voodoo Magic skill tree in this game either, so mixing potions is the next best thing.
    Bankster -- Let's say he picked up a thing or two from Stan.

I'm not so sure about the last two, but it's the best I can think of right now. Any suggestions for improvements?

If you have any of your own ideas for unusual or theme-based builds, good or bad, tell us all about them here.

Vitellozzo, SkyMuffin and impishacid like this.
  2. impishacid

impishacid Member

Ahhh, I'm terrible at actually playing most of them if they involve magic, but themed builds are super fun!

I really liked the idea of playing this one, though in practice i died constantly unless it was on EE:

Imhotep the Vampire Tourist: Egyptian Magic / Vampire / Tourist / Blood Magic / Necronomiconomics / 2 others [Fleshsmithing and Magic Training probably fit the theme best???]

I also made a character loosely centered around being a self-righteous prick (focusing on righteous damage as much as possible). The only thematic skills were Vegan (of course!), Astrology, and Demonology (only allowing through Celestial Circle, of course!!!), the others were just support skills - leywalking, magic training, alchemy and staves (for the spear of holy sacrifice, back then). My long-term goal was to wield the Malleus Maleficarum and the Spear of Holy Sacrifice (which delivers the most righteous pricks in the game, of course).

3. j3st3r

j3st3r Member

I consider all my builds are themed and even try to equip them accordingly:
    1. The Viking
    2. The Corsair
    3. The Thief
    4. The Clockworker
    5. The Paladin
    I find it fun to come up with builds that revolve around certain concept and gear and then try to make them come true.

In fact, during this post I just had an idea of a bronze aged soldier, a hoplite...

4. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

Super Melee Power Adventurer!
    • Smithing
    • Killer Vegan
    • Throwing
    • Unarmed
    • Master of Arms
    I am trying this right now. I'll probably have 200 hp by the time I max everything. :D

5. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I tried this on Going Rogue yesterday and today with Smithing/Vegan/Unarmed/Master of Arms/Necro/Archaeology/Berserker. I had 250:life: at the end of the game, over 100 :block:, and gobs of :melee_power:. With Diggle God of Fertility I was basically invincible and regenerated all damage in a few turns. Even when I was attacking animals and had all of the vegan penalties, my :life: was still over 150. The only monster that posed even a little threat late game was the three boss monster tesseracts I fought. The first one knocked me down to 50 hp with a counter crit, so I ate an Inky Hoglatern and retreated. The others died very quickly at range.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

This was exactly what I though in the very first moment I saw the trailer.
    I was like "what, they made a roguelike involving Threepwood?" Then I noticed the eyebrowns.
    :edit: noticed, not figured

Kazeto likes this.