Fairy Princess!

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by tentacled-godqueen, Aug 24, 2012.

1. lilystorm

lilystorm Member

Aww man, this is slightly similar to my sparklemancy that I'm working on. Yours looks a lot better too. Great Job D:

OmniNegro and tentacled-godqueen like this.
  2. Sorry? :( (FWIW it's just the one skill that uses sparkles. Well. Two, but the Makeup skill's sparkles call back to the original one)

Although also yay!

OmniNegro likes this.
  3. lilystorm

lilystorm Member

Nah it's okay, mine doesn't really have any sparkles anyway. The skill tree started as a wizardy thing with lots of sparkles, and has turned into every skill being some sort of teenage girl joke. I dunno, my brain probably wanders too much :D

OmniNegro likes this.
  4. :p

Honestly I think my tree is probably more themed as pre-teen girl jokes + occasion juxtaposition of the morbid or poetic for dissonance.

Anyway we can always have more girly trees. (And more morbid ones but that's a whole different thing. ...yes my tastes are like two complete opposite categories I know :p)

OmniNegro likes this.
  5. lilystorm

lilystorm Member

Ohh, morbid serious trees, good idea.

OmniNegro likes this.
  6. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

My pretty princess found her death in a trap, it feels bad.
    I don't know if I want to try this in a rogue character, since it's spells are fantastic also as a backup, and not only for pure mages, or if I have to stick to the emo/vampire/necro/princess build, trying to perfect it. Anyway, both of the builds must have the fungal arts skill, since it usefulness blends perfectly with this skill.
    If you can make me enjoying being the pretty little girl, I cannot wait for a Putrid Necromancer mod of yours. Would download it again, 10/10.

OmniNegro likes this.
  7. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

This is a fantastic mod and I love it to death. Glitterbomb is an over-costed spell that also costs extra turns when you want to throw love glitter, but in return it scales nicely and stays deadly as you go deep. I also LOVE your sense of humor.

Unfortunately, my Pony Princess Sailor Scout met an untimely end.

I do have one bit of feedback: I don't understand the seasons. What makes them cycle?

OmniaNigrum and Vitellozzo like this.
  8. Monsters stepping on the mines. It doesn't always cycle each time, though. (Unless you're using certain flowers anyway)

Unfortunately I still haven't gotten it to work to an extent that I find satisfactory, either; it's really kind of clunky to use at this point. Conceptually I like it but I can't get it to work well enough that glitterbomb isn't more useful. Soooo if you're having a hard time grasping it that's probably because it needs work :p

But yay! about the rest of it :p Glad you like it ^_^

I'll see if I can find the time/energy to try to tweak the seasons more; I haven't been able to work on things much recently.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

If I may, I cannot recommend enough that you send this to the Workshop once it is a "tight package" to your satisfaction.

One thing I'm not sure about is that it seems to be fighting itself over whether it's a gish skill or a hardcore wizard skill. Almost everything about it is hardcore wizard, but its pentultimate level is a huge proc if you get hit in melee.

Also, the fact that I tend to consume my flowers by spamming Puissant Touch and Leywalking--is that an intentional nerf?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Well sort of. I did deliberately intend for any spell to consume them (note that they all increase either magic power or haywire chance), though the Leywalking one is sort of an unfortunate side effect--I'd rather it didn't trigger on that sort of spell, but I can't really make it be selective about spells without a LOT of work or the ability to edit the spells it needs to be selective about. (So I probably could redo it to be spent only on fairy princess skills without too much trouble, although that would cause some other issues. I'll put it into consideration though :p)

But yes they'll power up any spell, just other skills spells will only get a small boost in power.

Its worth noting its a huge proc if you get hit in melee that can turn you invisible or knockback and stun. So its supposed to be able to work as a support skill for pure wizards in case you get surrounded, or as a gishy thing. Though I may want to tweak the effects somewhat to emphasize that more. (eg less damage, more escape effects. And possibly changing the trigger, which would make it more obvious at what it's doing, 'cause as a melee proc it makes it look like you want to get in melee, which it CAN be used for, but it can be--or is supposed to be able to be--used as a failsafe thing--like a higher level Blinding Flash. ...which suggests possibly a manual trigger would be a good idea actually. Hmmmm)

The main issue I think I have right now is that glitterbomb ended up being much more overshadowing then I thought it would be when I was laying things out, which makes it much more of a pure wizard than gish; my initial idea was that it'd be somewhere in between. (The glitterbomb overshadow thing is also the source of a lot of the problems with changing seasons. It's much simpler to use and basically does the same thing so there's hardly any reason to use changing seasons, which is... undesireable.)

I'll look at the options some more.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Rakankrad

Rakankrad Member

My 1 question about the skills: were the misspellings intentional?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Probably not; I'm just bad at spelling >.< (the punctuating/overdoing exclamation points and smilies was though, though that should be obvious.)

Which misspellings did you see?

Vitellozzo and OmniaNigrum like this.
  13. Rakankrad

Rakankrad Member

"You are full of hope! You just now everything will turn out alright! As long as you aren't one of your enemies. Then things will turn out very unfortunately. Possibly face-meltingly unfortunate"
    Should be "You just know"
    "You have endless wisdom! You have superlative judgement and pretty much know everything! Even what color Dredmor's socks are! (They're black, he's trying to be gothy). You're wisdom lets you call on the endless power of the stars if you need it!"
    Should be "Your wisdom"

There's a few more I've noticed, but it's not really too big of a deal. I'm not a native english speaker so I tend to do misspellings as well.

Vitellozzo and OmniaNigrum like this.
  14. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

Another thing.

Love sparkles are insanely deadly. I was blasting shit with them on level 4 without the final level of the tree., so imagine what they're like on level 2. I came to this realization two ways: One, they are much deadlier than hope or glitter sparkles. Two, the first time I accidentally walked into the lingering AoE of a love sparkle bomb that I threw on level 2 of the dungeon, I melted about 25 points of HP off of my own face in only a couple of rounds, resulting in Glitter Hooves' untimely death.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Yeah I'm not quite satisfied with the damage amounts.

I think I see the problem there, it's setting them on fire which adds a second DOT effect so it's doing 2+.1m instead of 1+.1m. Which isn't a huge deal on later floors but makes it markedly better on early floors. The simple solution would be to just drop the base damage to 0 instead of 1.

(also the other thing is on level 4 there's two monsters weak to conflagratory, and DOT effects disproportionately take advantage of weaknesses. 1 point of conflagratory damage for six turns will kill a steam golem, for example.)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

I don't think it's overpowered. Ok, it deals a little more damage on early floors, but you have to consume an item which, at the best, consumes itself after 3 sparkle shots. If you are not going to use any other spell. And early on you don't have so much flowers to deal with (not the number of types, the number of each kind you have), so you cannot walk and frag every mob you see.
    Also, if you think that it's not the sparkle itself, but a powered version given by only one kind of flower, you have to count every shot.
    In the late game (which I didn't see with this mod, since the fun, the death and things) you don't have the problem of basing your diet only on flowers... but there isn't also a problem with a little more damage).
    For the conflagratory weakness... I don't think it's a problem. Every damage type has some monsters with some kind of weakness (but Lord Dredmor), so even a full damage tree can kill things even faster than it's normality.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. The conflagratory weakness isn't the problem; that's perfectly reasonable. The main issue is because Love sparkles ALSO set the monster on fire in addition to doing the normal damage, makes it notably better on earlier floors when an extra 1 damage over ten turns is a LOT. (Also the other issue is while damage does vary in effectiveness, fire is a bit better on early floors and doesn't get people resisting it until later. Contrast with poison; joy glitter is kind of worthless on the first few floors.)

It's weaker than death glitter (which, appropriately enough, does the most damage), for example, even then. But compared to the other first tier flowers it's markedly better.

18. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

It's good that something it's better early, and something else late game. Not everything must be the very best against 15DL mobs.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

Sometimes at the beginning of a new game I spawn with one of every first 4 kind of flowers, sometimes I don't. Is this randomness wanted?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. It should be happening all the time (and it's never not happened on me? So idek.)

Ughhhhh I need to figure out how to get the energy to make another patch for this >.<