The Introduction Thread

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by RKade8583, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Felipebf

Felipebf Member

Hello, I´m the newest addicted to this whack...
    From Brazil, but I´m not a typical (HueHuehUEHue BRBRBR Gime mony plz)
    I hope I can gat more info about the game here, and good biuld discussions.
    Thanks.

OmniNegro and Kyrie like this.
  2. Robsbot

Robsbot Member

I missed this sticky for some reason. I should probably introduce myself!

I'm Robsbot, and like all of you, I enjoy a good round of Dungeons of Dredmor. In fact, I've moved to indie gaming as opposed to AAA titles the market pushes out now. I find so much more love, attention to detail, and integrity go into indie games and the prices are beyond reasonable. I've recently found my love of gaming bleeding into the indie community. I've joined the forums of both this game and several others in order to help build the community of the games I play and promote hard working devs who make the games we love. I encourage everyone else to do the same!

You can often find me playing Terraria, Dungeons of Dredmor, Gratuitous Space Battles, and other indie titles, as well as the occasional bout with Dota 2.

OmniNegro and Midnight Tea like this.
  3. Cyris Winheim

Cyris Winheim Member

Hello.
    I've been a fan of roleplaying computer and video games for as long as I can remember, and to me, they have always been about the dungeon crawling. Fields are just there for you to travel to the next dungeon. Towns are just there for you to prepare for the next dungeon. So why not cut out these two middlemen?
    Dungeon-crawling RPGs were my answer. I hesitated to get into roguelikes because their interfaces seemed so obtuse and unintuitive, and the games themselves seemed full of unfair mechanics. Then, a couple months ago, I found out about a dungeon worth raiding: Dredmor's.
    A good friend of mine gave the game to me on Steam as a gift, and I instantly fell in love with it. I spent two weeks getting the hang of the game by casually playing through on Dwarven Moderation with no permadeath. I chose a rather uninteresting warrior-type build when I knew nothing of what the skills did yet: Swords, Shield Bearer, Master of Arms, Smithing, Berserker Rage, Artful Dodger, Assassination.
    I rather liked the game's quirky sense of humor. It reminded me of Kingdom of Loathing, another RPG I still play.
    I came here to discuss potential builds for my next character. I'm also wondering if there are any other roguelikes as accessible as Dungeons of Dredmor.

OmniNegro likes this.
  4. Hybelkanin

Hybelkanin Member

Fond welcomes all around to the latest batch of Dredmor converts!

OmniNegro likes this.
  5. ineffablebob

ineffablebob Member

I have arrived! I got Dredmor during the Great Steam Holiday Sale of 2011 (not to be confused with any of the other Great Steam Sales which occur approximately every five minutes) and have since obtained all the expansion packs. Just recently saw a link to these forums (thanks Cake-Pie and the QT3 forums) and decided to drop in. At 37 I'm just old enough to have grown up with ASCII gaming and text adventures, and I love it when something comes along that brings back those memories without forcing me to stare at green Xs and Os. It's especially fun to play hardcore-style games (even ones not meant to be hardcore) so I love me some Permadeath mode. Good to meet you all!

Hybelkanin and OmniNegro like this.
  6. Jacq

Jacq Member

I forgot to introduce myself when I joined ages ago, so... there we go.

I'm Jacq(ueline). I like Dredmor. The end. :)

Hybelkanin and OmniNegro like this.
  7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Hello and welcome to everyone new and not new and so on.

OmniNegro likes this.
  8. Have just realized I never got around to introducing myself either.

Hi everyone. I'm Banhammer. I'd like to say I have exciting and interesting commentary for this thread, but not so much.

For myself, I'm a 35 year old dude who's been a gamer (computer and otherwise) for, give or take, 30 years. I'm still working on beating DM on Dredmor, but it's mostly a side effect of getting way too aggressive mid-game and mauling myself in zoos.

I am also, and I say this mildly, a complete and hopeless achievement addict. If they put in an achieve for doing a dance atop a moving diggle bus while wearing a tutu, I will -find a way-.

9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Welcomes all around! Be happy! Diggles are on the menu! (Standing on them actually.)

10. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Hallo!
    Don't forget to pet the Diggle Doordiggle on your way in! (then count your fingers afterwards).
    Welcome!

OmniNegro likes this.
  11. DragonOfTime

DragonOfTime Member

Hello everybody
    I'm DragonOfTime, as you have probably already discovered by looking at the name.
    I originally got Dredmor back in the Humble Introversion Bundle in '11, but at the time, I didn't look closer at it. I took a brief look at the Steam page for the game (very brief, mind you) and it didn't really seem like my kind of thing. However, in december of that very same year, I was away for a couple of days, with only my laptop, and suddenly, I see that steam is offering a reward if I get an achievement in Dungeons of Dredmor. "What the heck." I think, and launch it. I was instantly hooked, and promptly went on to buy Realm of the Diggle Gods. It now has a spot in my Steam favourites list, and I have gotten both the later expansions as fast as I could send my digglebucks to Canada. Now I have finally pulled myself together and made a forum account.

That was the story of my introduction to Dredmor. Now here's a bit about me:
    I believe that I'm fairly young by the standards around here, nevertheless I have been on the internet for many a year, and have several years of experience with internet forums. (If you have ever played Battleforge, you probably know me)
    I play a wide variety of games, ranging from action games to turn based strategy or Paradox' grand strategy games. I normally prefer RPGs though, valuing the story in a game rather highly (Dredmor makes up for this with charm and general hilarity). I have a weakness for Steam sales and Humble Bundles.

I have managed to defeat Lord Dredmor only once, and that was on easy, with no permadeath (oh the shame). I hope to have more success in the future though.

Daynab, OmniNegro and Kazeto like this.
  12. Cupnoodle0

Cupnoodle0 Member

Can't say I've introduced myself yet... so here goes!

Hi, I'm Cupnoodle[0]. Dunno why I called myself that, it was a spur of the moment thing.
    I like long walks on the beach, and other junk no one really cares about. However I think one thing I like that we all [probably] have in common is Dungeons of Dredmor. It's the first rougelike I've played... still the ONLY rougelike I've played, so if anyone has any good recommendations gimme a PM.

I'm an aspiring modder, I kinda know my way around XML coding [after teaching myself the basics... never again], so I hope once I get creativity and balancing issues out of the way I can start contributing!

Also, I still have yet to get passed floor 4, and I refuse to play on easy due to honor reasons. It's a curse really.

OmniNegro and Daynab like this.
  13. j3st3r

j3st3r Member

I assume you're native english speaker, because they tend to be the only ones who misspell rogue.

Nonetheless, welcome :p

OmniNegro likes this.
  14. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I must not be a native English speaker, because I used to misspell rogue all the time...

OmniNegro likes this.
  15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I only attended public school until the sixth grade. I sometimes think I would seem entirely uneducated without a spellchecker.
    (Odd as it sounds, I learned more outside of school than I did inside one. Reading and wanting to know goes a long way.)

16. Silver

Silver Member

Well, hello everyone. I'm Silver. proud gamer, otaku and a few other things :) Been addicted to dredmor for around a year, but didn't get to post until now. Strict GRPD player, by the way, as roguelikes should be

OmniNegro likes this.
  17. benhilfenhus

benhilfenhus Member

Hi, Everyone I am Benhilfenhus. I want to join this forum. I'm like to play Video game. God of War is my favorite video game.

OmniNegro likes this.
  18. DungeonDragon

DungeonDragon Member

Hello I'm DungeonDragon, since introduction is not a nessecity here I found this thread only now :)

After I beat all the good RPG, then replayed all the golden oldies like Fallout 2 and BG 2. I understood that present market of big game companies can't offer me anything I searched among Indie RPG and here I am :)

Dungeon of Dreadmor is easy and fun to mod (I mean it's only XML) and a lot of fun to play its humor is really something :)

Kazeto and OmniNegro like this.
  19. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

If you want another "roguelike" that is easy to mod, then there is always the space-themed "Transcendence" (with XML used in its data files as well).

That being said, welcome amongst us.

OmniNegro likes this.
  20. DungeonDragon

DungeonDragon Member

Thanks for the advice :)

OmniNegro likes this.