Wildfire Vial

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mashirafen, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Mashirafen

Mashirafen Member

One of the many mods I'm using adds a craftable thrown weapon called a Wildfire Vial. When thrown it releases a seemingly infinitely expanding sea of fire that starts killing absolutely everything including myself, and then causes a CTD.
    I assume this is not how it's intended to work.

Trouble is, I can't tell the creator of the mod because I don't know which one it is. Can anyone help me out? I'll post a list of what I'm using if it helps.

2. Warlock

Warlock Member

That's from FaxPax, and was made by FaxCelestis.

3. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

That is how it's supposed to work, unfortunately.

4. Mashirafen

Mashirafen Member

Oh. That's silly.

I could have sworn that once I threw one at an empty room to see what it did and it just created a moderately sized area of fire that didn't consume the entire dungeon, though.

5. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Just don't use that item - your computer likely is too weak to handle it.

Fax isn't likely to change that throwable because it's already been nerfed twice (I think, it might've only been once), and that the "Wildfire Vial" is supposed to do is to create a field of flame that randomly expands and pretty much is this world's napalm spam. The problem lies within the fact that it causes too many things to trigger for some computers to handle when you throw it at monsters instead of empty space and it decides to expand more.

OmniNegro likes this.
  6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I have bitched at Fax about this too. But then he calmly explained that it scales to :alchemy:. Meaning that my heightened alchemy skill from eating a mod item that improves crafting skills for a while was half the reason it was the equivalent of a MIRV-Cluster-Nuke. (It did probably a thousand damage to me after bypassing my very high :resist_conflagratory:...)

7. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

It wouldn't be something that fax made if there wasn't a chance it would crash the game due to infinately recursive triggers.

Kazeto and OmniNegro like this.
  8. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Yeah, he's the resident master of recursion.

Though I do have to admit that I really liked these infinitely recursive traps we got from him.

OmniNegro likes this.
  9. Mashirafen

Mashirafen Member

But when I first used it my character had just 1:alchemy:. And it still caused a thermonuclear explosion.

If it's just meant to be a joke, then fair enough, it's pretty amusing. I'm confused as to why I couldn't find it on Dredmorpedia if it's part of FaxPax though.

10. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

No, it is just calling back to the same trigger recursively, based on a random chance. Usually, it is supposed to create a minor field of flame, but sometimes RNG takes drugs and the result is a trigger hell.

OmniNegro likes this.
  11. Mashirafen

Mashirafen Member

I've fruitlessly tried to use it many times and that's happened all but once. But if it's meant to be a serious item and it's meant to work like it does now (maybe its 'normal' is still enough to crash my PC) then it's still massively overpowered for such a cheap and easily crafted item.

12. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Then ask him to make the recipe require more expensive stuff. And either way, if your computer can't handle using this item, then don't spend time testing it; in fact, had it happened to me, I would've commented the item out.

I won't repeat how it is not supposed to be all that powerful because I don't know what kind of effect you are talking about exactly now (nor do I know what your character's build is, something that might be of importance too when discussing the effects of such an item).

OmniNegro likes this.
  13. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Even if your computer is strong enough to not crash to desktop, this item will more or less always cause extreme lag unless used against a single enemy (or at most against a very small group).

Just sell it

14. Tonlee01

Tonlee01 Member

Just sell it[/QUOTE]

Would editing the spellDB "Wildfire Burn" and lowering the percent of "Wildfire Spread" AND "Wildfire Hit" and change "Wildfire Spread" amount="2" to a amount="1" lessen the recursive loop that Wildfire seems to have? I edited the "Dr. Sanin's New Style Diphtheria" but haven't had the chance to try it out yet (it does nothing if a save happens during the recursive damage/spread loop, just lags out until CTD or if you try and zone it CTDs as well.)

15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, yes, tentatively.

Anything that has a chance to spawn an instance of itself has, theoretically, a chance to keep doing so forever if you get sufficiently unlucky. That said, if the average amount of calls per instance is sufficiently low, it becomes extremely unlikely for that to happen and as such one could say that it does solve the issue.