Steam Greenlight

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Mashirafen, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Mashirafen

Mashirafen Member

So I came back from holiday on Friday and found this baffling Steam Greenlight contraption on my Steam homepage.

I got the gist of it quick but when I went to look at the games up for voting I was terrified. There was ~600 games on there already, all apparently waiting for my rating. I ran way in terror. I haven't been back since, and there are probably far more now. What do I do? How do I handle this responsibility? Are there any games in particular I should have a look at? I'm at a loss.

2. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Dary's World is on there. There is a thread on the forums here mentioning it. I just look at the genres that I like, Action, RPG, and Strategy. My biggest complaint is that it keeps reordering the dang things while I am trying to go through them so I never know if I have seen all of them. Oh, I also filter by PC since that is what I have.

3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Yeah. The reordering mess is what ruined it for me too. I will not bother to go back until they fix that abomination.

I filter too, but some games defy the simple rules. For example, not only did I see some Russian guy that was trying to get The Elder Scrolls Arena on there, (As his own project nonetheless.) but I saw the same game by yet another person claiming it was for PC and other platforms. Steam does not use Dosbox, so how could this even be possible? (Actually, it would not run on a modern OS without Dosbox regardless of the platform.)

Who knows. There is a boatload of games there, and less than half of them are legally entitled to even be a part of Greenlight. TES Arena is most certainly not entitled. Even though it is freeware, Bethesda would have to submit it. And they would not even need Greenlight. They could probably make a modern launcher for it too. At least then they would have a real product not currently freeware to offer. (The launcher itself.)

4. TheJadedMieu

TheJadedMieu Member

Steam actually does use DosBox for some of the really old games. In particular, I own both Star Wars: Dark Forces and Star Wars: Starfighter on Steam, and they came with DosBox set up and ready to go. Dark Forces even had a modernized keymapping!

OmniNegro likes this.
  5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I lay corrected. (I am lying down on my bed next to my PC.)

I am glad in a way to hear that Steam uses Dosbox. But saddened that they do not freely admit this. (I could be wrong about this too.)

A few quick searches revealed no Dosbox keywords on Steam. I do not use Google, so I could easily have missed a few obvious ones.

Either way, I trust you TheJadedMieu. :)

I wonder why Steam does not capitalize on this more often? Dungeon Master and DM2 are not available. I know Interplay went out of business, but why must the games be unavailable when many would still buy them?

Sure there are modern ports that work, like the independent Windows game called Return To Chaos. And it features an identical dungeon that works exactly as the original. But someone would pay for this. I sure would.

Vitellozzo likes this.
  6. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Most likely since Good Old Games already covers the whole market on old games like that, and they're usually cheap so Steam wouldn't gain much from it.

Anyway regarding Greenlight: a game under development that I'm friends with the lead dev, if you can give it a thumbs up, it would be helpful. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93060707
    He has real passion in the project.

Essence, Mashirafen and OmniaNigrum like this.
  7. Mashirafen

Mashirafen Member

That does actually look pretty cool to be fair.

Also, is anyone else now unable to find Greenlight through the actual Steam program?

8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

It's less that Steam uses DOSBox and more Steam sells games that are bundled with it. It's the same with GOG - they bundle DOSBox (usually a tailored version for that game alone) with it in order to maximise its functionality.

9. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

The one thing I like about GOG's bundling, though, is that I've never had trouble getting any of their games to run fine on Windows 7 -- my experience with older games is that this is not usually easy to do. I got a boxed version of the original Fallout and Fallout 2 a couple of years ago, and they run horribly.

OmniNegro likes this.
  10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

That's generally because GOG are a sort of middle-man. Whereas some publishers just sort of cobble together some piss-poor version, GOG generally take the time to make sure it works.

OmniNegro likes this.
  11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I agree with Althea on the quality of GoG. They made workable versions of a number of games that are otherwise difficult at best to get working. But never have they made anything unachievable via a purchased version and the freeware Dosbox and a bit of work.

12. MelodyBurst

MelodyBurst Member

I'm trying EVERYTHING I CAN to get the game Super Amazing Wagon Adventure on Steam through Greenlight. I wanted to get it so bad when it was in the Indie Royale bundle, but I fear getting games not on steam because I don't want to lose them. Also, I've been talking with the creator, who seems like a really nice guy! That alone should be a reason to support it! Just give them an upvote! Come on... you know you want to!

(And I appologize if I shouldn't be advertising, but you asked for games to check out! There are more for me to reccommend, but I think I should wait until it's not 1,000,000 o'clock at night to post them.)

Mashirafen, Daynab and OmniaNigrum like this.
  13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Relax. I'll go upvote it for you. Purely because you asked nicely. :)

14. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

100% historically accurate? WTF? Shooting Buffalo with Rockets from a horse driven wagon in the wild west? Yeah. Upvoted for lols. :D

Vitellozzo likes this.
  15. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

I had the very same feeling about this.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. MelodyBurst

MelodyBurst Member

Aw, you guys are sweet! I also tried Platformines's beta, and almost cried when it was over. I WANTED TO PLAY MORE! Try it, if you have the time, and upvote it if you like it!

Also, the game IS accurate. Manifest Destiny was impeded by unicorn ambushes and dragons.

Vitellozzo and OmniaNigrum like this.
  17. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Whatever school you attended, I want to go there. That sounds fucking awesome. (Like an LSD trip was your entire history class? But then again, the history I learned made me wish it was just a bad trip too.:D)

Vitellozzo likes this.
  18. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

19. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

No Gray Matter? Pffft. Easy one, that. Game's already done, has been for over a year, and is available from other vendors.

20. omeg

omeg Member