Mod XML Validator

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Glazed, May 29, 2012.

1. Glazed

Glazed Member

It's fixable. It just wasn't fixable in the hour I spent today on the project. :)

2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

This really is invaluable. A number of times someone in the modding section had an issue they could not pin down and I found it in a few seconds thanks to this wondrous tool. Thank you Glazed. And may I say that your mustard-jar with flippers and 'brows is looking radiant today. (Yes, I remember the thread. It was funny then, it still is.)

3. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

And I simply keep it open at all times, and tell it to validate every time I finish a substantial amount of code.

Either way, if new modders learned to use this tool, then their life would be much easier in that regard.

OmniNegro likes this.
  4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

5. Glazed

Glazed Member

I never updated this thread when Conquest of the Wizardlands was released. That shipped with version 1.1.2.3 of the validator. Since then we've created 1.1.3.2 which will ship with the hotfix that is due out shortly.

Many thanks to Null for adding a bunch of allowed XML to the schema.

6. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I need one for Mac. I'm a Mac Modder. Alot of times things in my mod would crash only because of one missing space, '=' or '/'.

7. Glazed

Glazed Member

I'm not a Mac user, so that's not going to happen unless someone else builds it. The project is open source, so it's possible. One guy tried, but he said that Mono had some issue with the XML class libraries that made it have bugs it shouldn't have.

Maybe I'll make an online version where you can upload your mod zip file and it will validate it.

OmniNegro likes this.
  8. Glazed

Glazed Member

9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

You sure should get a prize. Several would be more appropriate. How about a Mustard Jar, some Flippers, and a Drill?
    :D

TheJadedMieu and Kazeto like this.
  10. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Quick question - has this shipped out already?

11. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

Thank you so much! Your prizes are the following ingame items: Brass Mechanisms, Iron Mechanisms, Steel Mechanisms, and a Magnesium Ingot.

Edit: if you czech the Vanilla XML, these items really do exist, it's just that they're in remarks.

12. Glazed

Glazed Member

Version 1.1.3.4 uploaded. You may want to manually replace the console validator that DoD uses in the mod publisher with the newest version. The one that shipped with Conquest of the Wizardlands doesn't include some of the newest changes. Here's how you do that:
    1. Download the newest version of the validator from the first post.
    2. Unzip it and locate the ModValidatorConsole folder inside of it.
    3. Inside you will find 5 files:
      • DredmorModValidator.exe
      • DredmorSchema.xsd
      • DredmorUtilities.dll
      • DredmorXmlValidation.dll
      • Ionic.Zip.dll
    4. Locate your "dungeons of dredmor" folder. It will be in Steam\steamapps\common\dungeons of dredmor
    5. Copy the five files from the zip file into this folder, replacing the ones that are there.
    Now the publisher will use the newest version of the validator.

OmniNegro likes this.
  13. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I'll just use your internet version from now on.

14. Glazed

Glazed Member

I would use the stand-alone one. It's much faster, and works with folders, not just zip files. Replacing the binaries in the DoD folder is to get the Steam Publisher to stop telling you your mod is invalid. That should be done regardless.

OmniNegro likes this.
  15. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I can't use the stand alone. I'm on a mac, remember?

OmniNegro likes this.
  16. Glazed

Glazed Member

Oh, right. You said, "from now on", which confused me. It implied you were using something else before.

OmniNegro likes this.
  17. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I can't find the download link. I went to github and downloaded the zip there but it is far more than 5 files and appears to be the source code only. Which link do I click to find it?

Thanks for your help and the great program Glazed. :)

OmniNegro likes this.
  18. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I just checked and I cannot find the correct files either.

But in the meantime, here is an old version I had archived.

Attached Files:

Gorbax likes this.
  19. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

The Implication was probably towards the Mod Validator that comes with the publisher. Although normally I'd use both the internet one and the Publisher one, I learned from this topic that the Internet one is more reliable.

20. Glazed

Glazed Member

Hmmm... it appears the upload failed and I didn't notice. I'll upload it again.