Welcome - Clockwork Empires Announcement

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by MOOMANiBE, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Digglefiends. It must be Digglefiends.

2. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

In the office and in engine, we call them Citizens.

(Possibly after Daniel, but nobody will admit to this.)

Marak and OmniNegro like this.
  3. Warlock

Warlock Member

[​IMG]

4. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

We're not in the bloody République Mécanique here; "Subjects" is more appropriate for an imperial monarchy.

OmniNegro likes this.
  5. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Alternately, we are all but humble spokes before the Holy Cog.

Marak and OmniNegro like this.
  6. Warlock

Warlock Member

all cogs are equally hol(e)y, since they all have a hole in the middle.

:)

7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Cogs? Gears? Dethklok.

CLOCKWORK EMPIRES IS METALOCALYPSE THE GAME.

8. I like citizens, it has a sufficiently double-speaky quality to it. Like "Loyal citizens! We value your contributions! And definitely don't think of you as expendable interchangeable peons! Honestly!"

OmniNegro likes this.
  9. Maxumym

Maxumym Member

May the Omnissiah guide your path.

klaymen_sk likes this.
  10. Maze1125

Maze1125 Member

Is this game out yet?
    It's been almost 18 hours since the announcement, I'm not sure I can wait any longer!

Kazeto likes this.
  11. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

OmniNegro likes this.
  12. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Hmm, you appear to be contradicting each other. Ergo, Sir Nicholas must be lacking sleep again.

OmniNegro likes this.
  13. Wootah

Wootah Member

I like that. Citizens isn't bad.
    Given your second post, I might start calling them Cogtizens on these forums!

And I am not up to speed on the parlance of mechanics/engineering/steampunking. But the metaphor's wording is odd to me. Do cogs have spokes? I thought they were called teeth. But maybe teeth = spokes in british/canadian english.

The way I understand it (correct me if I am mistaken):
    In a wheel spokes are all connected from the central axle to the rim. They may be replaceable, but people don't think of them as interchangeable in the same way that a single cog is easily pulled from a machine and replaced.

Since there is(are) deity in the game, is the Holy Cog just an individual entity, or the sort of metaphorical pointer (from programming) that all cogtizens hold towards their deity, not being bothered (or unlucky enough) to have actual interaction with the good/evil deity of the game?

Maybe the worship of the Holy Cog is just one of the major religions? It would be so awesome, Then you could have unbelievers, believers, and 'Cognostics'!
    I'd like to see that in the game, I don't know if that is where you were going.... Honestly I would picture such a machine worshiping steam punk society to worship the society itself and all its glorious intricacies, one that holds utility, function, (and sometimes rube goldbergian views) as the end all highest goal... The idea that nobody means anything to the grand scheme. Any individual can be replaced. Their motto would be something like:

'we are all but humble cogs within the Grand Machine'

Which I think would fit nicely with the whole theme of making all the urchins do your work. One dies in a horrible accident? No problem, got more Cogtizens to replace that one!

OmniNegro likes this.
  14. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

Or we can give them big eyebrows and call them "brows".

Basic interaction would look like this :
    "Hey Brow ! Fancy seeing you there"
    "Watcha doing Brow ?"
    "I was with my Brows in the ship when a massive ..."

etc.

TheJadedMieu, klaymen_sk and Kazeto like this.
  15. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Digglefiends.

16. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

Brows before ho's?

17. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

I'm sure someone will eventually mod the game to replace all the brows by digglepeople.

Speaking of which, i'd be surprised if there was not a were-diggle feature in CWE.
    Or maybe a were-brow ?
    After all Toady recently added were-things into DF (or will add them don't remember).

18. Vitellozzo

Vitellozzo Member

There are were-things in DF, yes.
    One of my last forts had a werelizard dwarf (one of mine) buried alive in a big column.
    Mothers tell their little dwarven, at the night you can still hear him, grasping on the walls to free himself.

19. Wootah

Wootah Member

Brows? Please no. You guys are already pronouncing it like 'bros' and there could be nothing further from a lovecraftian-steampunk universe than a 'bro'.

OmniNegro likes this.
  20. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

That, sir, was a joke.