Welcome - Clockwork Empires Announcement

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by MOOMANiBE, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Glazed

Glazed Member

They said in IRC that it is not set in the Dredmor universe.

If you think about it, it makes sense. DoD is full of magic, and I don't think that sounds appropriate for the setting of this game.

2. Catbread

Catbread Member

From the look of things, Clockwork Empires (love the name, by the way) takes place in a different universe than Dungeons of Dredmor.
    Fine by me. It's a good time for something new. (I wouldn't be averse to a reference or two, of course! I doubt we've seen the last of lutefisk.)

Everything about the game sounds pretty cool so far, but it also sounds quite complicated. I hope the team can pull it off! The concept sounds too good to be true. Seriously.
    Good luck, guys.

I got one question, though.
    Why not?
    Probably a dumb question, but dammit, I'd like to know!

(Should I play Dwarf Fortress? It's on my computer already but it scares me with its complexity and user-unfriendliness)

3. delta534

delta534 Member

There could be magic, it just would be the kind that would either cause madness or kill the user/area. I don't care either way about magic and the early estimation of eta is fine by me.

4. eskr

eskr Member

To the contrary, see my earlier post.

5. Turbo164

Turbo164 Member

Separating the universes also means they aren't tied to the dwarven-elven war backstory. It's a lot more fun if your scientists invent Land Mines on their own (with some help from urchin-powered Tesla Coils) rather than rediscover the Dwarven blueprint. Progress!

impishacid likes this.
  6. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Correct. Not in the Dredmor universe, save for some interesting Gaslampian loves and bleedthroughs (horror; THE KING IN YELLOW; Clockwork warriors, etc.) This means no Lutefisk God, no Dwarves, no Elves, no Fleshsmithing. Instead, you get a whole bunch of new writing and themework - you lucky people. :)

Except for the Diggles. They'll be back.

Kazeto, Marak, Frelus and 8 others like this.
  7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

Diggle breeding please. Or herding. Diggle Herding sounds nice.

8. 1024

1024 Member

In the meantime, let us fund your project by buying another Dredmor DLC.

9. I know it's probably pretty early for this but is there a rough minimum hardware requirements?

Well I could imagine a thermal power station which employs hobo pyromancers who get booze as payment.

10. Nicholas

Quadcore machine, DX9 video card, 4 gigs of RAM. Something like that, anyhow.

11. That was fast thanks :D

12. omeg

omeg Member

But will it run on my steam-powered analytical machine?

13. The first is kind of a (in)famous part of dwarf fortress, so if they're taking inspiration from there I highly doubt we WON'T get tantrum spirals. :p (or probably more 'infection by mind shattering cthulhoid space monsters' spirals but nonetheless.)

The latter two I couldn't answer (in Dwarf Fortress dwarves generally don't do jobs unless you've said "this job needs to be done" but that doesn't mean CE will follow that formula at all), though the PC Gamer post makes it sound like the last (or things like it) is kind of likely.

So unlike dwarf fortress it will actually use ALL your CPU cores? XD

14. eskr

eskr Member

Oh, I misunderstood a bit then.
    It's explicitly not the same universe?
    I assumed it was going to be one of those things you always slyly avoided confirming or denying (since the interaction of dwarves and the empire, for example, wasn't ever made clear). Gaslamp's own Springfield conundrum.
    Oh well.

15. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura may want to have a word with you about (not) making sense.

Nicholas: if those system requirements are not just a tongue-in-cheek reply, then I'm out. There is no way for me to run it. :)

16. Nicholas

They're fairly accurate. The simulation layer is greedy, as is trying to push about a huge pile of half-mad citizens through a renderer.

Think of it this way: you have a year and a half to get a new machine. If modern computing is anything to go by here at the office, chances are your computer will have exploded by then.

17. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

Fixed it for you.
    My financial situation is quite dire and it will get only worse. And I don't want PC games so much that I would take a loan for a new gaming rig.

EDIT: damned typos

Frandarre and OmniNegro like this.
  18. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

Well most recommended or even minimal configs are overstated. I'm still playing on my 4 years old laptop ... Sure i may have to play in 1024x768 at 20fps for recent games if i really want badly to play them ... I know it's more and more precarious as a gaming rig, but my interests also shifted towards brainy 2D games rather than graphic-enhansed manshooters.

4gb ram isn't really expensive and easy to add to any computer. And i'm sure a good old Core 2 duo will do fine for such a game.

19. delta534

delta534 Member

I understand the financial situation, I do, but quad core laptop with enough ram and gpu can be found for under $500.

About the system requirements, are we talking logical or physical cores here.

20. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

i actually just got a new laptop that has almost the same specs for $500 a few months ago. So a desktop is probably cheaper. And in a year or longer it will certainly be much cheaper.