More slots in the skill belt

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by verba, Dec 26, 2011.

?

Should new skill slots be added to the skill belt?

1. Yes

90 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

I was actually gonna snoop around for a mod to see if this'd been done yet. I see it hasn't, which is a shame.

This is very necessary. Especially with the fact the latest trees have been very spell heavy (even warrior ones: see Clockwork Knight, Battle Geology, etc..) which is a Good Thing because Spells Are Fun.

2. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I would like to field the related suggestion that it would also be convenient to be able to directly select your active skill.

ie. Instead of selecting on the skill you want from your skill belt, you could click on the current skill icon and it would open the skill selection menu, the same one that you use to layout your skill belt, and you could select a skill not on your belt without having to change your belt's layout.

Nikolai likes this.
  3. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

Oh! I'd also like to be able to remove a skill from the bar. This is particularly useful for re-arranging things like putting all buffs at the end of the bar, and keeping active skills at the front.

4. Iceciro

Iceciro Member

As a clockwork knight rogue scientist polearms master of arms psion, YES PLEASE.

5. 0x517A5D

0x517A5D Member

With at least four other threads requesting this, I'd say it's a very desired enhancement.

Dev Nicholas mentioned this is on a TODO list, I'd like it to get a higher priority.

I also like the suggestion of selecting skills from the level-up menu. Currently it's useless except for reference, or during level-up.

6. Gazoinks

Gazoinks Member

Yes, this is very much needed. I got tired of playing a battlemage build of mine (Warlock, Egyptian Magic, Viking Magic, etc.) because have to constantly switch around the skill bar was a pain. It's starting to happen with my new guy too, which makes me sad. Definitely something I'd like to see patched in sooner rather than later.

7. 0x517A5D

0x517A5D Member

Another thought on enhancing this:

I think it's important for newbies to see all of their options...

but once someone's learned the game, they might prefer a single unified skill bar, that normally shows spells/skills, but changes state when a modifier key is held down. e.g. Shift would show the belt slots, and Control would show a secondary spell/skill list.

Just a thought, might not work out in practice.

8. 765Pro

765Pro Member

Perhaps each star-level of a belt could add another slot. So the basic newbie belt would add on just one more slot, whereas the top equipment could add ten.

9. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

I don't see a good reason to limit the skill bar by your equipment.

Aegho likes this.
  10. 765Pro

765Pro Member

Whoops, I wasn't paying attention. I meant the item bar and, just as a fun way to add more functionality to belts.

11. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

Oh! Well, that's actually kind of neat, as that thereby affords you more inventory space.

But it's kind of a weird change in balance; as far as I can tell, the rating system is kind of arbitrary, and only serves to approximate to the player how good this item is, not as a factual, objective assessment of how valuable or potent it is.

12. 765Pro

765Pro Member

That's true, and a 1-star artifact belt may have stats three times as good as a 3-star belt, but I don't see how else it could work. At the least, 10-star belts are usually better than the 1-stars. :) And of course, after a certain point, you should have your ideal 10-star belt anyways, and if not, using that Kronged-up 8-star belt won't make all the difference, will it?

13. Aegho

Aegho Member

The stars are the items level, which determines on what floors it will spawn naturally (Item level +/- 1 = spawn range). So a 3 star item will spawn naturally on floors 2 through 4. Brax is exempt from this and can have anything. Crafting ingredients while not exempt usually get around this by being named specifically in certain rooms as guaranteed spawns(or randomly selected from a list).

14. 765Pro

765Pro Member

I found a 4-star Interdimensional Axe on floor one. What gives?

15. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I think it may actually be more of a bell-curve thing rather than a hard cutoff. Either that or the axe was specifically designated as being in that room.

16. 765Pro

765Pro Member

No, it was one of those big rooms filled with loot and monsters and traps. Certainly didn't seem specific.
    And yes, some sort of bell-curve drop-off seems much more likely as this wasn't just a one time thing. I've seen it a few times.

17. Lucentdepths

Lucentdepths Member

From a business standpoint this is the most important reason for this. I agree wholeheartedly, especially as I'm fond of playing characters with LOTS of active skills.

18. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

That looks really good. They should use that setup or something very similar

19. Aegho

Aegho Member

Also they can add a number above the arrows, to show which hotbar it is.

I'd have to look at the skills, but I very much doubt you'd ever need more than 5 hotbars. (The maximum amount would be 56 skill slots, but there's few skills that have abilities every level AND fill up all 8 slots, 45 slots should cover everyone).

darius404 and Bohandas like this.
  20. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

That's also a good idea