Ominous Project Odin Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Nicholas, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Hah, you need to be more sleep-deprived to understand that bit of discussion.

But really, it's not that scary - you might not be able to understand everything, but the basics of what they are talking about are very easy to understand.

I don't think you want that prize, really. The last time someone asked for something, we got that deer on their blog.

2. Movra

Movra Member

Yeah. It just isn't the same without the big hairdos.

3. Wootah

Wootah Member

Ominous countdown! Stoked!

4. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

Maybe the countdown is just an announcement for an announcement, as the companies do nowadays. :)

5. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Pay no attention to the Ominous Timer. Speculate about the words!

6. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Odin involves Shakespeare!

7. delta534

delta534 Member

Alright, word speculation time.

This line
    screams a shout out to the Mi-go of the Cthulhu mythos, and this line
    suggests something that came from outer-space which would fit with the Mi-go reference.

I will do more speculation later after I do some more research.

8. Tycho

Tycho Member

Cthulhu Steampunk Diggle Fortress Spacechem Gaiden Ultra Black.

It'll be like starting a fortress in a Terrifying biome but written poetry forms an important part of the economy instead of stone mugs.

Also, a special Diggle Mode in which you skulk through the settlement and wreak havoc, which you then must repair when you switch back to Steampoet mode. Or something.

9. shaken

shaken Member

This is the most confusing speculation thread I've ever witnessed. Must be because I don't know much about the Cthulhu mythos.

10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

You can spell Cthulhu correctly, though - that's a start.

11. Tycho

Tycho Member

The apex of literary psychological horror.

12. Frelus

Frelus Member

I am constantly planning to read Lovecraft's mythos, but something always comes inbetween.
    For those who are interested, though, I found this:
    His Complete Work
    Really looking forward to read it all...
    Also, knowing about Cthulhu makes you insane, so you would not really understand it if you knew much about him... ;)

13. Movra

Movra Member

d̹͉ͫ̍̉͘a̩̺͚͔̾ͫ͆m͇͇̟ͩͩ̀ͥ̄̿n̤ ̨̋̃̓̿̂̑ͅt̶̳̼̲̖h̝͇̥̤̻̫ͧͩͫͫo̵͍̫̫̝͊s͇̤̙͙͎͇̰̾͒ͤ̚e͛̔̎̑̊͐ͤ҉̘̲̮ ̙̞̺̟͋͢l̮̓͐͌̑̄o̥̮̼̲̟͟v҉̞̮̼̣̜ȇ̱̽ͯ̽ă͚̓̿̉̃̚͘b̵ͭ͗ͥ̑̏l̟̘̹̪̩͎͚̾̀e̶͓̱̩̊̍͑̋̐ ̢̣͈̗̒̄̚u͊̐ͮ̆ͮ̉ͥrͯͮͩͬͤ҉̟̩̮̬̠ĉ̨͇͚h̙̙̣̬i͂n̟͚̰͓̘̅́̊̾̆̚s̴̗̒̇̍̍ͤ͒ ̘̦͙̪̈ͨ͐̾͠ͅm͕̯̝̗͎͙͈̅ͣͣ̕y ̲͋͂ͭͩ̈ḿ͓̞͚̹̗̌͐̓̀o͆͞n͌̔̉͛ͣe̾̊̉̑̅̾́ŷ̱̣̯̬̖̅͆ͧ̈́͠ ͉͂͆į̖̲̖ͥͩ̑̂͌ͅs̯̫̱̻̗̉ͯ͢ ̃ͣ̒̂͆g͕͉̭͎͍̈ͧ̾͌̐̒̽͝o̮̰͌n̪̬̪̮͖͙̣̍ͥ̈͊̅̏̊e̲̗̞͚̓̾͢ ̨͚͚̣̞̝̔a͙̝͕̺̱͕͙ṋ̡d̺͕̘̬͇̜͊͋̍̽͂͗͐ ̨̤̩͚̩̌ͩ̃̿͌n̹̭̘̳ͤ̔̓ͨ̈͌o͙͓̩͡w͚̺̐̀ ̷̦͍̘̝̏ͪ̋̿ͬ̈á̳̞̗l̵͓͕̞̮̏̃͑̈́͌l̞͔͍̖̻̩̞ͫ̇ ͕̝͍̞̌ͤͯͦ͗i̵͇͇̻̣̩̼̳͐̈́̏ͩ̎̚ ̩̹̩͖̘͛̈́ͨ̍͋ͥ̂ha̭͓̩̫̟̝̝̍ͩ̾v̔̒͂̊͒͋́ȇ̴͙̆̔̀̏ ̳͕͇ͩ̇͋̋̌̂͊i̯͚̝̘̼ͪs̆̒ͨ̀̚ ̛̣̫͙͔̙̫̤͆̑t̸͖̥̙̳̯͑̍ĥ̥ͤ́̑i̹ͬͫ́̂̉̐s̡̾ ̺̮͙͓͕ͣ̈́̾̔͌̄̔p̰̼̟ͤͦ̌͋̂͟iͥ̿ͤ̆l̢̹̃͒̏e͍̫̪̰̼̙͇̽̓ͤ̉̈́͆̆͢ ́̓̿ͨo͔̻͖͗ͮ̿f̖̠̯ ͣ̐͜s̞̼̩͖̺̟̯ͫͦ̃́ě̗͇̞̫̹̉ͤ̉͆ͩ͊c̮̟̯̝̜ȯ̪̤̽̅͊ͣń̄ͨͮd͌̔͌̇́̑͠ ̖͈̚ṟ̀͑̔͋a̯̜͈̲̫̰̩ͧͦ͌̄̚͡t͗ͬ͛̆͏̳̦̙͈̬ͅẽ̦̯̫͇͙̑̅ͦ͋̈̇͠ ͔̮͔̫̺̊ͧͫs̜ͨ̽̉a̙͛̽̅̎f̜̠̘͚̪́͢ͅe̻̩̲ͧ̉͌͟t̩̪̫͇ͪ̽̋̅ͥ͟y͋ͦ̔͗ ̧͙̐̊̃̃̉m̀̑́̽ͤ̎҉̪͕̥͔a͡t̰̯̠͍͌ͨͅc̙̉̐ͬ̓ͤ̄̇ḥ̈̉e͓͓͈͈ͨs̱͙͈͍̼̳͙̔ͬ
    ̠̞̦t͆̽̂͋҉̫͙h̛ͪͩ̄ͧe͔͔̫͔͍̬͂̔̉̆ͩͭͮ ̝̗͛̀̽͗́̽̕r̵̦o̖̫͞t̥̳̰̣̹̤̫̎͂͌t̫̝̯̥͇͓͚̃̓͐̊ͬ͗͑i͊̍̈́ͮ̈́̚n͚̯̬̪̯̯̅͒̎͂̀̒ͥͅg̑̅ͫ̆҉ ̞̖̞̘̮̽͒ͣ̒̀f̪͎͚̾͋l̢̳͙̗̰͍̔ͯ̚ĕ̪̬̦͕̼̰̹ͪ͊ͪ̎͝s̤̉h̦͙̞͈̣͔̿̐͛́̂ ̧͉̪͛͗ͨ̍͑̚o̥̪͉͖̪̮ͩ̿ͯ̅ͮf͇̞̻̭̈̌̿̓͋͡ ͔͙̱̮̩ͬ͋̑ẗ́͒̇ͬ̿ͭͭh̷̓ͤ͌ͥ̃͌ͥe̗͙̰̪ͪ̅̊ͅ ̖̘̳͂ͩ̈́̈́ͨ́p̶͉̤̓̚ǫ̝̇e͛͏̦͚̺̣̠t̵̠̯ͪͥ̆ ͇͖͇̖̻̮͌̋̀́g̠̲͍͌͋̽̌ͯͫ̕ͅḙ͙͎̾ͮ̏̑̋ͪ̍́ͅņ̞͔͕̜̼̽̈́ͬț̸͉͚̒̓ͧͥl̈́ͦͬ̽̄̽ͫ҉̜͍̥͍̩͙y̢̼͍̣̤̙̐ͮͨ̓ͅ ̜̺̤̺̳̺ͨ̆̿ͨ̎e̍̊̿̆͒ͪ͟x̣̙͇̝̮̱̋̓̆͡h͒ͤͯ͏̯a̡͇l̤̞͖͔̼ͨe̒͆̽ͨ̍ͫ̇͏̭̰̙̟̖̮͖d̴̠̖̰͖̹̞̓ͥͨ̾͌ͫ ̰͓̊̀̏ͥ͌̕c̹̗̳̆̂̒ͪ̑͆̍o̤͋r͇̤̲̜ͩ̿͐r̎͗͗̽ͤ͆͝u̢̜̯͑̀̅̊p̜̱̥̓̏̐̇͌͘t̡͎̰̟̳̋̌̑iͣv̰̖̥̤̘͙͚̍̄̉̓̅e͉̬̳̼̬͇͝ ̙̬̤ͭͤ̃ͩ̓v̡̩̾ͩͤͩͪ̈ͥa̭͍̰͍̬͕̫ͮp̧̦͍̏ͨ͊o̮̺̱̳͉͓͕͑̑ͦ̂ṳ̖̰͓̈͋͗ͧr̾s͂ͯͤ̈́͘ ͕̰̠͖͙͙̻̇ͧ̓̇͊̏͌͝i̴̍̑n̸̥̩̺̱̺̿t͉̼̤̺͉͕̤ͩ̚ỏ̬ͧͥͦ͐ͫ̀͞ ̦̤̓̓͊͠t͕̜̘h̦̼͓ͨ͐̊̇ͅe̛͈͈̜̙̜̳̺ ̣̙̞̳s̪̯̀͛̓͊e̥̫̘̿ͦͬ͌ͩ̾w̬̰̼ͬ̂̌͜ḛ̛̞̠̯̫̐̄͐ͧ́͊̀r͎̜̠͉͔̩ͧ͒̑ͫ̓͠ ̪̣͕s͉̐̀ͅͅy̼̙̪͇ͬͮs̗͇̫͔̣̦̆ͯ̆̄ͭ͘ṯ͞e̺ͧ͋ͭ͋̑͗ṃ̩̥̪̫͎̹ͫ̆ͪ̍͌̽̓
    ̵̤͉͍i͎̗̜͒̿́̚t͓̲͖̣͍̲ͮͪ ̊҉̰̞͔̥̭̤̞c̬͖̩͔̜̾͆ͧ͒ͯ͗̾o̶̗͍̱͛ͣ̂ͫ̌̊̋m̺͖̱͔̗̅̀͑̇͑̈e͒̀ͪ͋͛͏̗̮͓̺s̙̱̖ͬͮͧͮ

Arron Syaoran and Nicholas like this.
  14. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Actually, there's very little literary about Lovecraft. Most of his writing is cut from the same cloth, where-in there's a whole lot of build up, the reader becomes invested in the story, then all the tension is resolved without the reader being able to see much and we see the broken person after the fact.

Frankly, on the third reading Lovecraft kinda looses his impact. He spends most of his time telling you "you can't understand or imagine this" and then proceeds to describe things that you can actually imagine or understand. Once the shock value is gone, he winds up feeling very condescending. I don't care for him much.

15. The deer with the squid put in? I remember that and I was wondering if the deer can be put in the squid but I have a hard time imagining it. So I need some help.

Are the words another puzzle?
    Also ever thought about replacing the first 'n' in your surname with a 'k' ?

16. Wootah

Wootah Member

Dang... One sees new things in internet forums every day! How did ye?

17. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

The Drumming is pretty good, the Guitar and bass were mediocre, the keyboard basically sucked, and the singing was terrible(the worst).
    As for Odin, I think it's a puzzle sandbox game involving the Clockwork Empire, and possibly either Factory management or other mechanical synergies. It reminds me of Technic Pack in Meincraft*.

*Spelling changed to prevent Copyright Infringement.

18. Considering the big modders appear to have lapsed into inactivity again, i say we have another community expansion pack coming. As to actual announcements involving odin, i'd rather not know until the game comes out. The mind probe told me everything i needed to know last time they made one.

19. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

I just realized that I could have maintained the spacing easily by using an accumulating map with a function to generate the letter of clockwork based on the accumulator. I'm totally going to post this here and have the parser in maybe three lines. This still doesn't have uppercase but still I can't believe it was this simple to have it maintain non alphanumeric characters.
    (mapAccumL imported from Data.List, various things from Data.Char)

intFromChar :: Char -> Int
    intFromChar c = (-) (ord (toLower c)) 97 --97 is ord 'a'

charFromInt :: Int -> Char
    charFromInt n = chr $ (+) 97 (rem (n + 26) 26)

charFuncInt :: (Int -> Int -> Int) -> (Char -> Char -> Char)
    charFuncInt f x y = charFromInt (f (intFromChar x) (intFromChar y))
    (yeah there's probably some default function somewhere that genericises something like this)

parseString = mapAccumL (\acc c -> if (isAlpha c) then (acc + 1, charFuncInt (-) c ((cycle "clockwork") !! acc)) else (acc, c)) 0

20. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

I know what Chars and Ints are, but i don't understand CharfromInt or IntfromChar, or even which programming language this is.