Share your Builds

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by benbenben3, May 3, 2012.

1. j3st3r

j3st3r Member

The Viking
    • Axes (Viking Strike)
    • Shield Bearer
    • Berserker Rage (Viking Temperment)
    • Master of Arms
    • Viking Wizardry
    • Blood Mage
    • Smithing
    And for the equipment to fit the concept:
    • Runed Iron Hjalmr
    • Runed Iron Skjoldr
    • Mail Hauberk
    • Belt of Iron Plates
    • Iron Plate Boots

2. GreyICE

GreyICE Member

Update: Beat Dredmor incredibly easily. Beserker Rage is the goggles late game, am serious. Demonology Capstone that I got for the achievement was also the worst idea ever, and forced me to switch to crossbows much earlier than planned to avoid ever proccing it (It procced twice in a zoo in level 15 and damn near killed me). Seriously, here's how I'd rate the skills after finishing floor 15:

Clockwork Knight - 11/10!! Seriously, I have to emphasize this. This is the best warrior skill tree in the game. In. The. Game. I can't even imagine playing a warrior without it anymore. It's like they looked at the warrior class, and asked "what don't warriors have?" Then they added everything warriors needed.

Teleports to get them out of danger? Check
    Huge AOE that blasts apart zoos? Check
    Ranged damage? Check.
    Resist buffer to allow them to survive junk much easier? Check.

Hell it even buffs useful metal drops, to allow you to use Archery without the hideously underpowered archery tree.

Tinkerer, Shield Bearer: 10/10 - Tinkerer was amazing, and I loved the encrusts, the powerful scythed bolts, the trap removal (seriously, tree nearly worth it for trap bonuses alone). Shield Bearer just does exactly what it says on the tin - 4 points and your survivability increases massively.

Battle Geologist: 8/10 - only really shines on Dredmor, but hey you like beating the game, right? The first level skill is the best thing in the tree mid-late game, use it on the minibosses to stop counter/critical garbage.

Demonology: 6/10 I took this to the capstone for the achievement. Worst. Mistake. Ever. Had to switch to a 100% pure crossbow build, because the proc acts like werediggle form, and removes ALL YOUR BUFFS FROM OTHER SKILLS. Yiyiyiyiyiyi. Oh yeah, the circle is the bestest thing ever, but if you raise this above 3 you're insane. I'd rather have unspent levels than raise it. Last thing is the circle becomes utterly worthless in the late game at the moment, since encrust procs cause random teleports, which turn off your circle. So yeah. I don't recommend this.

Smithing: 6/10 Oh man I wanted to craft all this awesome gear. The only thing I ended up using? A Mirror Shield. And I could have bought one from the store. So I guess it saved me like $70k or something (I had $300k or so by end of game, without selling tons of stuff). Trap affinity and random burliness buffs aren't terrible.

Berserker Rage: 3/10 Oh man, so it really helps if you get surrounded. Unless the enemies do exotic damage, which ALL OF THEM DO ON FLOORS 11-15. The middle skill that gives resists and magic reflect is hot, but it can't salvage this piece of junk tree. 3/10 for being fairly good on floors 1-5 and for the middle skill being quite good (if only it was in another tree... any other tree...)

flagoon likes this.
  3. decoy11

decoy11 Member

Best Skills build

Fleshsmithing
    Promethean Magic
    Ley Walker
    Emomancy
    Burglary
    Archaeology
    Psionics

This build is probably the best build in the game.

reason why this is the best build

1. Fleshsmithing + Promethean magic lets you clear floor 1-2 easy
    2. Emomancy lets you rob brax blind easy
    3. Burglary + Archaeology easy XP
    4. Psionics Psychokinetic Shove
    5. Laywalking for mana

This is a pure mage build. You never have to melee. Crafting isn't taken because why bother when your chance of finding mage loot is like doubled or tripled from being able to take whatever you want from brax.

4. Deathonabun

Deathonabun Member

Clockwork Knight
    Smithing
    Tinkering
    Alchemy
    Polearms
    Dual Wielding
    Piracy

Probably not the best skill build in the game, but I really like it, soooooo

5. j3st3r

j3st3r Member

The Corsair
    • Swords
    • Dual Wielding
    • Artful Dodger
    • Master of Arms
    • Perception
    • Smithing
    • Piracy
    • Ostentatious Tunic
    • Buccaneer Gloves
    • Swashbuckling Belt
    • Pirate Training Breeches
    • Fabulous Rogue Boots

Now if there only would be pirate bandannas or cavalier hats (or why not Triangulon's Tricorne :D) in the game, that would make the item set complete.

6. Aegho

Aegho Member

If you like being made of flypaper and lacking any real way of dealing with dredmor, sure.

7. mining

mining Member

quote="GreyICE, post: 52461, member: 6643"]

Clockwork Knight - 11/10!! Seriously, I have to emphasize this. This is the best warrior skill tree in the game. In. The. Game. I can't even imagine playing a warrior without it anymore. It's like they looked at the warrior class, and asked "what don't warriors have?" Then they added everything warriors needed.
    )[/quote]
    Amusingly this is in fact what Ruigi did.

Doc Gelegentlich likes this.
  8. flagoon

flagoon Member

Could you suggest what I should level up first? I'm trying my own builds and failing terribly so I thought I could use yours. I'm playing GRPD.

9. GreyICE

GreyICE Member

Well, first things first, you're going to take the Battle Geology Buff/Debuff (the one that gives +5 damage and removes your ability to counter and critical) and cast it on yourself. Then you want to level:

Demonology: 2 points! (Seriously, Rush Celestial Circle, it will make your life so much easier)
    Tinkering: 1 point (Traps, the bane of my existence - if you're better at dodging them than me, ignore this)
    Shield Bearer: 1 point
    Clockwork Knight: 2 Points (careful of the 5 Fire/15 blasting you do to yourself with the teleport, but even with that it's still good enough you want it early - and that will become meaningless later on)
    Shield Bearer: to capstone

Battle Geologist is something you're comfortable with maxing mid-late game, and frankly I'd just drop either it or Smithing. Two Mirror Shields are quite good at shutting down Dredmor's spellcasting anyway, so leaving him unable to cast half the time is nowhere near as good as you think it would be.

Although note! If you drop Smithing for Communism (something I highly recommend) I'd drop a point in the early game heal right off the bat.

10. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

I still maintain that Battle Geology is the best melee skill tree. It has every weakness of dreadmor in it. But Clockwork knight is a close second.

11. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Hey Everyone Come See How Good I Throw
    • Polearm
    • Smithing
    • Killer Vegan
    • Alchemy
    • Communism
    • Tinkering (It makes all the +:melee_power: equipment and encrustment)/ Archaeology.
    • Clockwork Knight
    This is just a ridiculous build designed to be a pure thrower. Dual Wielding polearms with stance gives me +19:melee_power:. Communism gives a +2:melee_power: and some nice other bonuses. Clockwork knight is one of the better melee trees giving me ignots, teleport, and best of all the last skill gives a temporary +8:melee_power:. Smithing and Killer Vegan give a +16:burliness: (I'm not sure the calculation to :melee_power:) . Equipment will probably give another +19:melee_power:. In the end I can have a total +47:melee_power: and +16:burliness: with nearly all warrior skill trees. I'm gonna try to softball dreadmor to death.

Edit: I found that 4:burliness:=1:melee_power:

lujo86 likes this.
  12. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

I'm working on an entire mod devoted special items for this type of character. check out the swashbucklers mod in the modding forum.

[​IMG]

Doc Gelegentlich likes this.
  13. j3st3r

j3st3r Member

The Thief
    • Daggers
    • Archery
    • Artful Dodger
    • Perception
    • Burglary
    • Assassination
    • Tinkering
    • Tinkerer's Goggles
    • Smugler's Vest
    • Thieving Gloves
    • Invisible Shield
    • Trapper's Toolbelt
    • Sneaky Slippers

Those are some gorgeous item icons, definitely gonna check that one out ;)

14. mining

mining Member

IMO Battle Geology is the best dredmor killing tree - if your issues lie in 1-15, not dredmor, then it's somewhat sub-par.

15. Aegho

Aegho Member

Fixed.
    Magic law/magic training are probably the best dredmor killing trees, for shutting down his spellcasting. Then you just need ranged attacks, and invis/teleport, and he'll never even touch you.

Kablooie likes this.
  16. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

Best thing about this approach, in my experience, is that Vegan gives +5:dmg_righteous: to your softballs, so with a high melee power you can just clobber things. It actually makes softballs preferable over thrown weapons with higher base damages in many cases.

Unless it changed recently, I'm pretty sure it's :melee_power: = ( :burliness: - 5) / 3. That looks a lot like :melee_power: = :burliness:/4 in the early game, but it gets better.

17. shaken

shaken Member

Maybe you would be able to enlighten me on something I'm not quite clear on, and that is how exactly melee power interacts with your damage, and then how armor absorption interacts with that. I posted this question in another topic a while ago, but received no response. Here is that post:

Any help in clearing this up for me?

18. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

Well I can confirm that :melee_power: adds to your highest base damage type, and that :armor_asorb: reduces damage from base types.

But your main point seems to be - given relatively equal (low) amounts of base damage, does :armor_asorb: cover them all, or only one? That's not a question I can answer with certainty. My impression is that it does cover them all - because my very high defense characters tend to get hurt by nothing. But that could also mean that monsters tend to not deal multiple base damage types!

19. lujo86

lujo86 Member

Vegan also gives 5 :dmg_righteous:. That's bound to help as well.

20. I actually can't think of any monster that deals multiple physical damage types offhand, but I've looked into this going the other direction (IE a player dealing multiple damage types), and it probably goes both ways. Firstly, the bonus melee damage is actually split evenly between all your damage types, which means that any fractional damage is lost (IE, if you're dealing crushing and slashing with melee of +7, you'll get +3 crushing, +3 slashing, and the last point vanishes). Secondly, the monster's AA will subtract from your damage once for each damage type you're using. So in the above scenario, where you're dealing 2 crushing and 5 slashing against 6 AA, you won't deal any damage.