Yes, I'm a thief, but I can't shake the dread collectors...

Discussion in 'Conquest of the Wizardlands' started by Verdigris97, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Verdigris97

Verdigris97 Member

I happened upon a fantastic DL1 Brax, and stole myself a sword in the stone and a universal principles, among other things. I used confiscate evidence so Brax never knew I was there. (I know this probably isn't intended behavior...)

I finished DL1 very quickly and then went to DL2 and wandered into a store, didn't find anything interesting, and upon leaving Brax came after me. I killed Brax (barely), and ran to the stairs with 6 dread collectors on my tail. Fortunately my equipment let me survive on DL3 easily, but now I can't return to DL2 at all.

Furthermore, I can't go into a shop on any OTHER level, apparently, without tripping the alarm. (I have force quit twice and used autosave files to recover.)

Is this a bug with the recent update, or intended behavior? I thought changing DL was supposed to reset your criminal status...

2. Frelus

Frelus Member

Also happened to me, but before CotW was out.
    I would say you should dumb your stuff in the pocket dimension while shopping, then.

3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

It's intended. I think if you drop the stolen items outside the shops before entering you'll be okay though.

4. Verdigris97

Verdigris97 Member

Ah, okay, thanks! I think I get it now; so I won't be considered a thief on new levels, but if I ever take any stolen items (from any DL) out of a shop I get in trouble again.

Have the inventory/item issues with the pocket dimension been fixed yet? If so, that sounds like a good way to go.

5. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Not yet, will be with the upcoming patch.

Midnight Tea likes this.
  6. Giygas

Giygas Member

OH GOD NO MUST FINISH GAME BEFORE PATCH

(Especially since I forgot what I stole... o.o)

7. Warlock

Warlock Member

:mad::mad::mad:
    that is all.

8. Midnight Tea

Midnight Tea Member

Brax isn't a charity, so I'm glad stealing from him carries consequences. I've said it before but he's helped me out so many times that I never felt right stealing in the first place.

I had an idea, though. Maybe items that you steal from Brax should have some sort of marker on them. A marker that only goes away if you buy the item in the first place. It could be something as simple as "This item was stolen!" but it's also a good chance for a subtle injoke like "This item is studded with adamantine bearing Brax's logo".

You can find a dark altar in the dungeon that can clear your name and even reset the original shop, but it'd come at a cost -- a permanent loss of :life: relative to the item's value. Naturally, this can kill you if the item is valuable enough. The death screen could then say something cheeky like "He died for your sins".

9. Giygas

Giygas Member

Maybe the demon altar room on DL 10 (the one with the pedestal that says "This shrine is dedicated to no god you know of") can clear your name.

Edit: Of course then it would only be useful for RotDG.

Doc Gelegentlich likes this.