The Book of Unwritten Tales

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Average Joe, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

This game is a point-and-click adventure in a fantasy setting, done by a small German developer.

If you even remotely ever enjoyed games in this genre, get on Steam or go to their website and grab this gem.

The adventure is over 20 hours long, features fantastic voice acting, sensational art, and has a terrific sense of humor. Dredmor fans will be right at home in that regard. The puzzles are on the easy side, but you won't mind.

This is easily one of the best adventure games ever created. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

3. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

Is there anything you'd compare this to? I'm a big fan of "snappy" adventure games but not so much of the long, slow, protracted ones. Specifically, I love pretty much everything Wadjet Eye has made (Resonance, Gemini Rue etc), but was not a fan of the Myst types.

4. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Let's see... it's definitely not like Myst. I, too, love Wadjet Eye. I haven't played Gemini Rue yet, but I've done all the Blackwell ones. This game is like those, in that they are point and click and manage your small inventory, combining items and using them on screen to accomplish the tasks.

Book of Unwritten Tales is much more story driven, and full of humor. The characters, especially the gnome protagonist, Wilbur Weathervane, is so well written and voiced that he seems to be real. It's a long game, but I wouldn't call it slow. It moves at the pace you want it to, like a book. You can read it fast if you want, or savor it at a slower pace. If you're old enough to remember some of the classic adventure games, I would compare Book of Unwritten Tales to Grim Fandango. It is easily on par with that game, and I never thought I'd run across another game good enough to stand toe to toe with it, but this one does just that. Tim Schafer is a genius, but the people who wrote Book of Unwritten Tales are just as good.

There is a free demo available here: http://bout.kingart-games.com/demo_download.html

King Art is a small company that can't afford much marketing, so I'm doing as they asked and telling everyone I know about the game. If you like this sort of game, you will have a great time with this one.

5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I've been hearing good things but also bad things. I think the Rock, Paper, Shotgun review put me off rather than turned me on to it.

No game at all, ever, can beat The Longest Journey.

6. MOOMANiBE

I checked out the RPS review - apparently, according to the comments, they've already patch-fixed a few of the issues the review mentioned, so that's pretty solid. I'm definitely considering it.

(Also, I still haven't beaten TLJ - wandering for hours only to discover that I missed an entire puzzle because i didn't click on the window in the first room in the correct way really put me off the game.)

7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Fair enough. I'll look into it, I'll just wait to see what happens with the editions - there seems to be a single edition aside from Impulse, which has a deluxe edition. Weird.

And TLJ is terrible for the moon logic style of adventure game, I know, but it's pretty awesome regardless.

8. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

The Deluxe edition includes digital extras like the soundtrack and a "making of" video.

Don't let RPS's review put you off from this game. No game is for everyone, of course, but for anyone who enjoys adventure games, this is a must buy.

Try this review, from Adventure Gamers, which is not only more accurate, but also much more detailed with regard to the experience of the game: http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/18201

9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I know what's in it, I just haven't seen it anywhere but Impulse and I sure as hell ain't buying it there.

10. MOOMANiBE

11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

12. MOOMANiBE

I'm guessing you're in the UK based on the gamersgate.co.uk URL?

Steam, for some reason, seems to charge equal amounts of money between types of money - for me, the 15-pound price on gamersgate.co.uk is actually more expensive (when you factor in conversion rates) than the 20-USD price on both steam and gamersgate US.

13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

It's £15 on GG UK for me, as you said, and £18 on Steam (DD is £20).

I think it's more to do with the publishers than Steam, though, but some games have weird pricing anyway. Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes is £12 in places, £10 in others.

14. Frelus

Frelus Member

Oh man, that trailer rocked. (That one where the 3 guys discuss the game)
    Since it waws made in Germany, I do not know wether I should play it in German or English...
    I like to read/play/view everything in the original language, given I can understand it, but I have heard too much terrible German voiceacting...
    Edit:
    Oh, and I have to love the Arthas/Warcraft 3 mockery in that second trailer on Steam...
    Priceless!

15. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I haven't heard the German voice acting, but the English is some of the best I've ever heard. The characters just come to life with the mix of the voices and the animations in the game, even idle animations. And the whole game is full of references to various gaming tropes. It's a blast.