If you are having Save Game Problems w/1.1.1

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Nicholas, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Okay, so somebody renamed a dagger last night without telling me and it broke everything.

If you're having Save Game Problems, grab this:

http://patches.gaslampgames.com/dredmor/dredmor_111_savegame_fix_win32.zip

Extract it over your Steam install:

c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Dungeons of Dredmor

It should overwrite the EXE in question, and hopefully it will fix your save games. If you still have save games that do not work after this, and that do *not* have mods, post them here.

We'll have a full version of this propagated to Steam later this evening after we knock out any more day-0 problems. I guess our streak of 100% save game compatibility from the last patch was not destined to be a very long streak; I'm very sorry about this.

banjo2E, Danridar and bobend like this.
  2. Reibello

Reibello Member

Thank you Nicholas. That seemed to fix my save game issue.

3. wRAR

wRAR Member

Still doesn't load, I gave you a link in the private converssation some minutes ago.

4. Nicholas

Okay, taking a nother look.

5. kafiend

kafiend Member

No workee here on the save game fix. No expansion either. I like to give you guys my money on day one so steamupandtakemymoney.gif??

6. Worked! Thank you very much for fixing this so quickly! I feel kinda bad for being one of the people to bring it up, when you must all be so busy.

7. Danridar

Danridar Member

Awesome! It worked for me on my furthest along character!

8. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

The link you posted, the .exe, worked for me. The game would just CTD otherwise.

I was initially a bit worried as it's size was a good deal smaller (899kb versus the broke version's 2052kb), so I saved a copy of of the latter, but looks like it boots fine.

9. Shaz

Shaz Member

All my saves got wiped.

I have backup saves, but with the new save system, I see no way to use them.

It was my own stupidity; I was so excited about the new expansion that I loaded the game with Steam... and Steam does as Steam always does and wiped my saves folder clean.

I'm too disheartened to play now... and I was so very excited moments ago. That'll teach me let my excitement get the better of me with regards to Steam. But is there any chance to prevent this if I do let my excitement get the better of me in the future? Some way to prevent Steam from erasing everything, again?

10. Nicholas

Huh. I wonder why that EXE is so large. Possibly Steam's doing some kind of Injection Thing that's new for them. I'll ask my contact.

Shaz: Run -nukesteamcloud; that tends to ensure things are synchronized. (Steam is... yeah, Steam.) Still! Think of it as a good time to start a new character; 1.1.1 features won't show up in old save games, so you get the consolation prize of a Lot of Good Stuff.

renatoakamur likes this.
  11. Shaz

Shaz Member

Will do that, thanks.

And, I know. It's just... I've never beaten Dredmor. I've never gotten really close. And I was on floor 14 kicking Diggle like I'd never kicked Diggle before...so it's still disheartening. I don't mind dying (I've done it PLENTY, and I only play Permadeath), but when I lose my characters this way? I just want to rage and cry and sit in a corner staring at a wall for a while.

12. Nicholas

Diggle Buddha says: attachment is the root of all suffering.

Diggle Buddha also hates you so much.

Robsbot, shaken, mining and 1 other person like this.
  13. renatoakamur

renatoakamur Member

nice idea, i will go back to my saved games later, i was almost beaten Dredmor too but i mainly interested in check the new changes

14. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Doublechecked the old exe's size, verified it's 2052KB.
    . . .and now, the one I copied in (from the link above) is also 2052KB.

15. Catbread

Catbread Member

Hm.
    Whenever I start a new 1.1.1 game and save and quit, the saves do not appear in the load game menu, even after unzipping the hotfix into the DoD folder as instructed.

Edit: Oh. Disabling the one mod I had on seemed to do the trick.
    Now I just have to figure out how to not have my mod do that.

16. gerunding

gerunding Member

All my old saves don't work: I just pop back to main menu. Had Compleat mod, unsubscribed, then used .exe above, but the saves still don't work. New games load fine, though.

In the Dredmor save folder, the old games are all .sav files, whereas the new (functioning) saves are file folders with .bmp and .dat files inside. Is something amiss, there?

17. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

The whole save stuff has changed which is why they're different. Amongst other things, saves now include their mods inside the saves.

18. Aegho

Aegho Member

One thing that is very noticable now that saving saves entire mods... it's a lot slower, and autosave is getting very annoying.

19. Nicholas

We should only be saving mods once in an autosave, and then that's only if they have changed since the last autosave.

I'll ask Ryan to investigate.

20. Demiin

Demiin Member

How about a patch for Linux?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.