Dredmor Patch 1.1.1 Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Nicholas, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Desura actually got patches this morning with everybody else! They haven't published yet because they're in Australia.

We dropped 5 grand on a new build machine and a contractor to alleviate this sort of nonsense; I can now hit a button and get updated copies to everywhere *except* Steam (Valve's changing their internals to Steam 3.0 or something, and we're trying to get that working pronto.)

TheJadedMieu, Null, Lorrelian and 4 others like this.
  2. Shardz

Shardz Member

I'm absolutely unsure of what technical problems have been on your/Desura's end, but I'd have to say this lapse in communications over there probably cost your company three times that amount. I've been over here feeling like a complete jerk for buying this for two months now, then completely snubbed off like an irritating gnat (which I can be, no doubt) when I voice concerns about the issue.

I play games to escape harsh reality; to relax and get away from problems. This game riddled me with everything I've been trying to avoid thus far from the start. I don't want external clients loaded, I don't want to chase patches around for months, and I don't want to have to stress out in the process.

You, sir, are in the entertainment business. I stated this once before already - The Show Must Go On. By any means possible. The fact that the lead programmer for the game must take the time to address these issues here in the forums in the first place concerns me deeply. Your time is worth gold, but yet you have to field distribution problems and everything else while trying to get things done.All financial information aside, things need more structure here because it's cost your company dearly and really pissed off a LOT of people in the process.

Another Case Scenario:
    Conquest of Elysium 3 by Illwinter. Illwinter is a two man operation with one coder with much less marketing leverage (Steam rejected). Since March, CoE3 has received 12 new standalone builds for all platforms on Desura. I wasn't even expecting the frequency to be half that much from them considering, but they did it. This is why I can't understand what the problem is. Perhaps Desura likes Sweden more.

Your Steam userbase is happy, but the other distro sites are turning sour and getting uglier by the minute. I have moved on to other things since this mess began for me weeks ago, but I can't help but voice my sincere disappointment and dismay over this whole episode in general.

3. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Didn't we already tell you last time you came here that literally all of the problems you've been whining about are entirely Desura's fault and therefore you should be complaining to them, and not Gaslamp? Because that's still true.

Anyway, speaking of publishers, Steam hasn't published update notes for Dredmor yet. Haven't played the actual game yet, I'll give it a shot later today.

Nikolai and Kazeto like this.
  4. Warlock

Warlock Member

I said pretty much the same thing a half-dozen times YET he keeps flogging the same dead horse. The last time I said it, both our posts in the CoW forum were deleted. OK, maybe I shouldn't have phrased the post the way I did, but it's frustrating seeing people not let go. :/

5. Darkmere

Darkmere Member

You ask for a "bugfix," get informed personally by a dev of a fix to the issue, then berate the person who responded to you, for responding to you about a solution to the issue you complained about, pointing out that you supposedly don't even play. Rude doesn't begin to cover it, frustration or no.

6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

Back in the day, waiting months or even a year for a patch was the standard. Two months' turnaround is miraculous considering how much content there is in this game, and how small Gaslamp is.

Robsbot, Nikolai, Aegho and 1 other person like this.
  7. bzlv

bzlv Member

Seriously, the guy has reason enough to be upset, even if he does seem to direct much of that anger towards the wrong people and in the wrong places. I mean, we're all excited about playing with this brand new stuff already and he is two patches behind; that's no fun.

I think Gaslamp has made one big mistake with this whole thing and that is to continue to sell their game on Desura. It sure sounds like GLG has made every reasonable effort to get updates onto Desura and it just isn't happening. It is nice that you want to support smaller independent distribution channels, and realistically you probably have to have some way to sell to those folks who can't/won't use Steam, but it is long past time that you get the hell off of Desura. They are not getting the job done and, to judge from Mr. Shardz, it is making GLG look bad.

Aegho and Lorrelian like this.
  8. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

(Would anybody like to talk about something that isn't Desura?)

Teslacrashed and mining like this.
  9. Insanius

Insanius Member

Can any monster randomly be non-hostile? Or is it limited to certain types of enemies? I haven't found a diggle that didn't want to kill me.

10. Darloth

Darloth Member

Well... I know this is ridiculously minor and probably overcritical, but I think the raven sprite is slightly too blue.

I believe it would look better somewhat darker.

11. Darkmere

Darkmere Member

The uh, *cough* steam overlay is still broken. :p Waiting on the DLC before I play an actual game, though. +1 internet for the chat-gem-type button that toggles through all splash screens. Classy!

Frandarre likes this.
  12. bzlv

bzlv Member

I am disappointed by that Playing for Both Teams achievement! It is something you ought to get in only one playthrough, probably in conjunction with Emomancy.

13. Stryke

Stryke Member

I would second this actually, I thought the old sprite was fine.

banjo2E likes this.
  14. rydash

rydash Member

The old sprite was causing issues in a certain new element that is not yet in the game....

15. Unibrow

Unibrow Member

It's been a while since I played a lot of Dredmor, so I'm not sure if this is abnormal, but I was able to gain 4 and a half levels on the first floor of the dungeon, it felt like a lot. It might have something to do with the named monsters I found (Seigfried and Toady) who seemed to give a lot of experience.

I've maxed out the polearm skill (I did not get the achievement for this however) and the skillset seems a bit on the powerful side (but then again, it might be that I gained levels too fast as mentioned above?). I just run around with Wallenstein's Innevitable Victory Stance on and no monster, named or otherwise, seems to be much of a challenge (I'm currently only on level 4 though).

I love (love love) that there is a new crafting button on the interface. Having the tooltips for crafted items show up now is pretty nice too.

On the topic of crafting and polearms, it seems relatively easy to make a powerful polearms early on. The Naginata (a 10 star polearm with a level 3 smithing requirement) only needs an iron sword and a hefty stick to make.

16. Stryke

Stryke Member

That makes sense.

Liking all the lockpicks all over the place, it's getting to the point where lucky pick looks like a wasted skill slot unless you get unlucky.

17. Warlock

Warlock Member

doesn't matter, totally worth it
    come at me, lockpicks

18. Movra

Movra Member

I'm also running a Polearm build, and boy, after having found the Very Long Morningstar the first Dungeon Level is really a pushover.

Siegfried gives 40 XP. Maybe not that much, but he was down in merely 2 jabs. (Then again, everything else dies with half a jab.)

Perhaps not intentional, but nerfing Dungeon Level 1 may be an improvement. Actually I think that Dungeon Level 1 is the biggest stumbling block of the whole run down to the 15th level, in so much I've seen it scare off new players. And even for more experienced players dying repeatedly on Dungeon Level 1 is becoming old rather quickly.

19. Warlock

Warlock Member

wait..... what.
    Toady can't be a direct reference to Dwarf Fortress's maker, Toady One?

20. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Could certainly be, everybody in Gaslamp loves DF (or its concept anyway), what does the description say?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.