Ubisoft is at it again - DRM follies

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by LionsDen, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

2. Hybelkanin

Hybelkanin Member

Well well, just when I thought Ubisoft had hit rock bottom...

3. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

Shouldn't this belong into Discussions?

Anyways, if anyone is affected by this, I don't pity him. In fact, I consider it as a 'reward' for supporting this kind of draconian DRM.

4. Warlock

Warlock Member

[​IMG]
    Nothing else to say. I hope they go under for this, they won't really be missed.

edit: the tag must have gotten borked.

5. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I forgot about discussions and placed it into general. Sorry about that. My eyes have been acting up because of allergies and I never even saw discussions when I was looking which forum to place this into.

Warlock, your image in your post didn't show up for me so I don't know what you were trying to show. As far as them being missed, I will enjoy whatever games come out from companies that are formed from their members that don't use such ridiculous crap.

6. Warlock

Warlock Member

the tag was borked. it's now fixed.

7. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Moved :) and wow, that's ridiculous. I thought they had gotten better lately too. How far the mighty have fallen. Ubisoft used to be a pretty cool developer back in the day.

8. Warlock

Warlock Member

money makes people do strange things. don't ask why. People can become insane as a result of the same. Clinically proven and observed several times already by yours truly during his internship.

9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

And they fixed it.

Considering UPlay was updated not long ago, that's a pretty quick turnaround.

10. Warlock

Warlock Member

[​IMG]

11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I just think this is another Let's Jump On Ubisoft thing, at least to some degree.

I mean yeah, it's a bad thing that this backdoor (NOT! a rootkit) was enabled via UPlay but do we even know it was intended? Could have been a bug, like many others that exist in the world of programming. It doesn't lessen the potential, but to their credit Ubisoft appear to have dealt with it fairly quickly.

But I'm an Ubi customer and happy with them. Sort of. Wouldn't give The Settlers, Anno or Might & Magic up for the world (well, maybe the latter, Katauri kinda do the genre better), however, and that requires me to be an Ubi customer.

12. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Actually even if it was a bug it helps illustrate why DRM should not be done to the extent of running code in kernel space. You can't trust every company's particular DRM scheme to be safe. Better to build it into the OS as a service and rely on that if you want to run stuff in ring 0.

This of course removes control from the publishers but they have legal remedies against people who circumvent DRM. It is not a technical problem they need to overcome, when their technical solutions fail, consumers and national security can be hurt.

Kazeto likes this.
  13. Frelus

Frelus Member

The only thing I am really waiting for them to do is Beyond Good And Evil 2.
    If it will ever come out.
    Apart from that, not much.

14. Wolg

Wolg Member

Kaidelong: rely on Microsoft to provide a technically sound and secure service, without shafting users?

Call me jaded, but no, just no.

15. Unibrow

Unibrow Member

I disagree, I think people are genuinely fed up with the way the industry is treating legitimate customers.

I understand why companies use DRM. What I don't understand is how after all these years they still use systems that negatively affect the people who buy the games and not the people who pirate them. People who acquire illegitimate copies of games often get it without the DRM. I refuse to spend my money on Ubisoft games until things change. And it isn't because I'm some bandwagoning Ubisoft hater, it's because my gaming experience has been negatively effected by their DRM systems.

16. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I agree with Unibrow here. It's annoying that DRMs hit people who pay for things and not those who pirate the stuff, and this is the reason why I'm not buying games with such stupid DRMs.

17. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

UPlay is, backdoor exempted, a fairly user-friendly system. It's DRM so it'll never be perfect, but as it works I'd rather have UPlay than Steamworks.

I've had issues with it, but I've had issues with Impulse, Steam(works), SecuROM, StarForce, etc. UPlay is just one more, but like Steam it tries to offset that with features for the end user.

18. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Better to rely on Microsoft centralized OS developers than every other game developer.

mining likes this.
  19. Wolg

Wolg Member

It seems to me that's only a win if you class it as cracking one DRM gives you everything ever.

For those users who want to remain legit, it puts them at the OS vendor's mercy. I doubt MS would go to the effort unless they were planning to use such a system themselves. Given their history of introducing API breakages to hurt competing software, I'm not reassured.

Plus, it assumes that the programmers who are at MS now actually understand how Windows works internally. I'm not convinced of that either. ;)

20. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

That's company policy

It cost them dearly.

They're not supposed to be. They're supposed to use the public APIs. Obtaining access to the source code is hard and they're supposed to use the APIs in part due to court injunctions.

Also you could just use a different OS vendor anyway, like Apple, Oracle, Canonical, Red Hat, et al.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.