What games are you playing and why?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by OmniaNigrum, Jul 24, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I am not sure if you are agreeing with me, or arguing against me... But I agree with what you said. It reminds me of the book and movie of The Lord of the Rings. Frodo was hit with a spear by a cave troll. The blow came at him directly and pinned him against a wall. He was wearing Mithril chain mail. The chain may be fucking indestructible, but the force of the blow should have sent liquefied Hobbit innards out ever seam of the suit. Just more pleasant thoughts. :D

2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, it's a simple calculation.
    In the franchise itself, most marines were men; the one memorable character that was a marine is Vasquez, and that is just a drop in the lake.

And if they had gender selection, someone would start raging because both genders would be the same, game-play wise. If they made them different, then someone would start throwing stuff because of "balance differences". And so on, and so on. Thus, they chose not to bother at all, because the amount of effort they'd have to put in would be much higher than the potential benefits.

And, if it helps you any, do what I'm doing and think that it's not "male marine" but just "marine"; either way it's just a bunch of pixels.

3. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

You get to choose your marine in it, I think. It's only sensible that they have some female choices.

4. Hybelkanin

Hybelkanin Member

Here's the game for you Althea... :)
    Skullgirls!
    All female cast fighting game *nodnods*

5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Did you look at the art style at all? ;)

Anyway, I'm playing a cool space exploration game where I can be a lady captain and blow stuff up. Oh, wait, I'm not 'cos I can't find one :|

6. Hybelkanin

Hybelkanin Member

Humm.. uhm.. Well, there's always the option of rolling a femshep in the Mass Effect games, action rpg'y though but at least its in space, sort of!

7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

ANY time there is an option of playing a female in a third person prospective game, I will gladly take it. Nothing sucks more than having to stare at some guys ass while running around the game world. No kidding.

8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I was thinking more along the lines of classics like Wing Commander, Frontier, etc rather than an action ARR PEE GEE.

Except the 80% statistic is rubbish and has constantly been proven to be rubbish. It's closer to 50/50 than you think.

9. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

OmniNegro likes this.
  10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Looks too "bullet hell"-esque for me. I was thinking more... like the games I mentioned. You know, with cockpits and vroooooommmmmmmm woooosh and stuff.

11. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I get what you mean. I have a hard time thinking of any single game like that who came out in the past 5 years though :p

12. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

If it's about games that came out in the last "n" years, then I'm currently playing "Unepic". It's nice if you liked the Castlevania games, and the occasional bits of humour are pretty funky (that being said, they're also pretty cliché, but it's still fun to play).

And there's also "I Wanna Be the Guy: Gaiden". Hell, I don't know what is wrong with me now, but I actually seemed to enjoy the moments I spent on it.

Also, if we are talking about games in general, and not only about new ones, then "Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale" is fun too. It's kind of a shame that there is no way to enable the possibility of actually losing the game (so you don't feel that terror when you are doing badly), but whatever, one can emulate that by simply doing a no-bankrupcy run through the game.

13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I love being awkward when it comes to games.

14. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Yeah, spaceship games need more love. My favorites in the genre are Rogue Squadron, Evochron Mercenary, Project Freedom (it was 75 cents during the summer sale!) and I've heard Freespace 2 was good but I've frankly got too many games already I don't need to buy another one no matter how good the modding community is.

15. Warlock

Warlock Member

My usual dose of online gaming weekly, Diablo 3 for an hour or so twice a week if I get bored, Dungeons of Dredmor for the most part especially since I'm trying to finish it twice again on GRPD for reasons of fanfiction making, putting an average joe from real life into the dungeon and allowing him to leave with all the bits and bobs (and skills) he picked up. Resemblance of said average joe to the author of this work is coincidental. And the only benefit gained carrying over between dungeon trips is passive stat bonuses that don't come from primary stats. Crafting remains known. Diggle-napped Diglets not included.

After the derail, I'll mention that I've been retro-gaming a lot recently. Old platformers like Jazz Jackrabbit, Gods, Bio Menace, Commander Keen and the unofficial expansion TUIT, etc. I've also played through and beaten Heretic over the course of this week too while not busy in the ward doing work. A laptop comes in real handy when you have nothing to do during internship on any given day, btw.

16. Hybelkanin

Hybelkanin Member

I was playing some heretic too the other day. <3
    Went through episode one and two on hardest, should really get back into it for the last bits :)

OmniNegro likes this.
  17. Warlock

Warlock Member

Shadow of the Serpent Riders was as hard as all hell. I remember Catafalque in the Ossuary throwing me for a very nasty loop the first time I played it. I left that Maulotaur alive on most runs just to conserve ammo and spent a lot of my time beating up gargoyles and sabreclaws with my big old stick. E4M1 is hands down the hardest level I've ever played in an ID software FPS.

edit: Whoever thought that 6 iron liches guarding the exit along with a dozen ophidians to provide sniper fire was a good idea, he did it wrong. What was he smoking and can I have some of that?

OmniNegro likes this.
  18. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Oddly, In Borderlands, my most successful run has been with the solider and Combat rifles, or with Lilith, the siren and combat rifles.

Her skills work fine, most of them, with Combat Rifles. I love them for their three round burst. Kicks ass.
    I also never had issues with Borderland's FoV causing headaches, that's odd, it must be rare,

I need to go play again, maybe go through the massive treasure stash at the end of Claptrap's revolution DLC to find an even better combat rifle.

19. Hybelkanin

Hybelkanin Member

I seem to have a real hard time farming good combat rifles on BL. I do have a real nice one though from the ring arena in general knoxx dlc, gearbox manufacturer which is something of a rarity. If you want a tip for another real good combat rifle thats farmable but has a pretty low drop rate, check out The Chopper. It has a small chance to drop from Motorhead in general knoxx dlc and requires you to complete the quests given by the midget in Sunken Sea.

As for the low FOV dizzy/headaches, it might be a rare thing, I don't know. I know that quite a few are bothered with it in varying degrees though, the Youtube commentator Totalbiscuit, for example.

20. Warlock

Warlock Member

YMMV; I used to have phenomenal bad luck with farming decent sniper rifles. I had pearlescent Serpens of every description popping out however, until the time I lucked out and grabbed an almost-perfect Jakobs Bessie after 3-4 months of nonstop farming.

Your luck's just rotten, as was mine. [/negative]