What games are you playing and why?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by OmniaNigrum, Jul 24, 2012.

1. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

I was trying to go more for a "no matter how silly it looks, if it works, it will be used" argument, but that works too.

2. Hybelkanin

Hybelkanin Member

Heh, I read the wiki page on Ski Infantry in Civ V. As a lutefisk luvin norwegian who happens to have served my conscripted time at snow covered "Skjold garnison" up north, I can tell you all that the claim that "all norwegian soldiers of today are trained in the art of ski combat" is a blatant lie. :p Sure, we spent months skiing around the mountains pitching tents now and then, but not once did we train the "art of ski combat" :)

3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

And when the Earth freezes over and you reveal it was true all along and you quickly kill off the entire world... That would be pretty silly. :)

4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Back to the topic. What character is best in Borderlands in your opinion? I like the Hunter for weapon accuracy, but almost nothing else. The Soldier actually sucks. I am unable to remember what the Phasewalking woman was best with regarding weapons, but I think it was repeaters and SMGs. I have played a fair bit of both the Soldier and the Sniper, and in general ranged combat I find SMGs better than most others. That leads me to think that the Siren would be best.

Opinions?

5. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

...note to self: install borderlands.

Anyone here play Zero Gear? It's pretty fun, kind of like Mario Kart done right. There's even minigames! (which are a mixed bag of luck based and requiring extreme skill)

6. Hybelkanin

Hybelkanin Member

Sirens specced into smg's and elemental effects are devastating, and the phasewalk is infinately useful, probably my first choice for solo play. In co-op I play a soldier unless anyone else is and go support/medic. I strongly disagree with you on the usefulness of his turret (with the proper talent points put into it of course), also his ability to heal other players is a godsend. I also like soldier for solo play, he's very versatile.

Hunter and berserker take the two last spots on my list of usefulness of characters, but thats not to say they're bad. A sniper with shield bypass skill makes a lot of fights much easier, and the gunslinger route can be very potent as well. The only talent build I like with berserker is the blast master/tank route, which can be devastating. The first problem is to find properly useful explosive damage weapons to use, and the second is keeping his "on kill" buffs up during the harder fights. Without those fighting for example bosses is a gruelling affair...

That's my list, others' will be different I am sure!

Edit: Oh, thought I'd mention the Borderlands Config Editor. Comes highly recommended for playing Borderlands on the PC. Its most notable features are the ability to set your field of view higher than 55 which the game is locked to otherwise which is ok for playing a shooter on a console sitting on the couch, but can quickly cause headaches if you're sitting close to a computer monitor. It's shocking the PC version of the game never included an easy way to set FOV... The other big feature is that it lets your "weapon cards" show more lines of text. Without changing this, you will not see the full list of stats on very, very many of the weapon drops which makes comparing weapon stats an impossible task without actually equipping and testing every single gun you find. Again, it boggles the mind why we'd need to use a config program for something like this.

Those settings and some of the graphic tweaks work just fine with online play as well. I'm not sure if the stuff like tweaking gravity will mess things up horribly, I'd recommend staying away from changing those.

OmniNegro likes this.
  7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Borderlands' FoV can never be "fixed", by the way. Only way to sort it out is a massive workaround that doesn't keep it at your chosen one 100% of the time.

That's why I haven't bought it this weekend ;)

8. Frelus

Frelus Member

Oh yeah, I'm reinstalling it right now, too.
    Hybel:
    The app's been taken down from mediafire. /sadface.

9. Hybelkanin

Hybelkanin Member

True, has to do with how the game engine changes FOV while sprinting or using vehicles I believe. Only workaround I know of is having a frequently used key such as W (or whatever else you walk forwards with) reset your field of view, also in that config thingie. It's not perfect by any means but at least I can play the game without getting migrains from the ultra low default FOV. ^^

10. Hybelkanin

Hybelkanin Member

11. Frelus

Frelus Member

Big thanks.
    Now then, in roughly 6 1/2 hrs it should be ready to play.
    We have quarter to twelve (pm) here in Germany. At twelve o'clock tomorrow Prototype 2 gets unlocked, which I want to test (LET ME CARNAGE EVEN MOAR THAN IN 1!).
    Guess it'll be some time 'til I join in...

12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Oddly enough, I have the config editor. But I never once used it. I guess I will do that now. Thanks for the information!

13. Hybelkanin

Hybelkanin Member

On a slightly borderlandish note, I ordered a new gpu (gtx 570 2560mb) tonight that includes copy of borderlands 2. o/

Edit: Seems Borderlands is free to play this weekend on Steam, for anyone interested in checking it out!
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/8980/

Edit 2: If you own BL on Steam you get 10% discount on BL 2 prepurchase this weekend as well (includes the first DLC character as well, I believe).

14. Wootah

Wootah Member

Interesting thread.
    I have been playing Tons of Dungeons of Dredmor. More than all my other games.
    My most recent is Insane Twisted Shadow planet. Good for a single playthrough.
    Games that I continuously go back to besides DoD are minecraft and binding of Isaac.
    I never finished Skyrim but I am planning on going back.
    I never finished borderlands but I am planning on finishing it (like level 35, still not in second playthrough).

15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Holy baconshit! $7.49 for Borderlands and all the DLC?!?! To hell with my previous copy!

I just bought it again! Borderlands 2 will have to wait until I finish the DLC for this. By then Aliens Colonial Marines will be out!

That price is too good to pass up.

16. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I read somewhere that the 10% off only counts if you owned the game before this sale. Better make sure if you are counting on the discount.

On a side note, I am half-way through downloading Borderlands and the DLC. I already gave away my boxed copy to a friend since I told them I would give it to them once I finished this playthrough. I never activated it online and used a technical means I will not go into to play it without activation. (You do not have to really activate it to play single player anyway. But it will pretend you have to.)

If anyone wants to play anytime, I will be trying multiplayer for the first time ever in the game. I welcome newbies, and old, maxed out players that will be patient with my new characters that have zero decent equipment. I do NOT want cheat items though. This is a good game. I do not use auto-aim assist, and I do not cheat in any way. If I find someone cheating, I will never play with them again. Cheating in solo play is your own call. But if your solo character cheats and goes into multiplayer, that is cheating.

My Steam handle is OmniNegro. I have the same avatar image as I do here.

17. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

You can only 'finish' skyrim if you have some kind of cheat guide by your side and go through everything step by step. And that takes out all of the fun, imho, of discovering stuff on your own. Not to mention the fact that there are always new mods to play. I'll probably be going back to it whenever Dawnguard is finally out for the PC. That said, I played the heck out of it for a while, and kept wanting to try new characters and new mods.

18. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

19. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Too much of a hassle for me. Not going to give my money to a company who, over however long it took them to get all the DLC out, never fixed a serious problem like a low FoV.

And then they made the interesting-looking female character for Borderlands 2 post-release DLC, and even then it'd be 3 guys and 2 gals. GENDER BALANCE IS HARD Y'ALL.

Oh, and this is the developer behind the next Aliens game... which doesn't have playable female marines. Um, what the shitballs? How can you *not* have playable women in the Alien franchise, especially considering how many damn women there are in it?

20. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Realistically speaking, armor is supposed to absorb blows, so form-fitting armor that lets you easily tell what gender someone is by definition isn't doing the job for which it was (supposed to be) designed.

Loswaith likes this.