Save Game Issues

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Jace, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Jace

Jace Member

This has happened to me 3 times now, and it is quite frustrating! I've been playing for a month or so now but haven't been able to beat the game on Easy because of it.. I will play a whole bunch until I have to go to bed/work/whatever, save, and then when I come back to the game it reverts to an ancient save! For instance earlier today I had actually made it to Floor 9 and made sure I saved because it wasn't the first time this issue had happened. I even checked "load game" before I quit for good to make sure, and yep the screenshot was of me on Floor 9. Now I go back to finish my conquest, and my save file is back on Floor 5!!! There is no way I have the heart to continue with my hard work erased like this. What on earth is going on..?

2. Wolg

Wolg Member

Are you playing the Steam version?

3. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

If you're using the Steam version, do the following:

In Steam's launcher, right-click DoD, select Properties -> Set launch options
    In the box, type the following:
    Code:
    -nukesteamcloud
    Launch DoD from within Steam. Confirm the deletion of all of your data, including saves.
    Go back to the launch options and remove -nukesteamcloud
    In Steam's top left corner, click Steam -> Settings -> Downloads + Cloud -> Uncheck the box marked "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for games which support it" (alternatively, you could just disable the cloud for Dredmor only, but frankly the cloud messes up every game it touches so unless you actually use multiple machines for gaming you should turn it off entirely)

4. Jace

Jace Member

Thanks for the advice.. a couple of newbish questions though!

I got the message when I did the -nukesteamcloud and confirmed it within DoD.. but I went to load saves and my saves are still there.. did I do it right?

And I only use Steam for Dungeons of Dredmor and I could care less about the stupid cloud. How do I turn it off entirely?

5. Wolg

Wolg Member

AFAIK you can't. I had cloud-related savegame horkery when the feature was first introduced, but a nuking did the trick.

(And the feature is handy; I like the way my lunchtime diggle-slaughter automagically lines up for continuation on the home machine.)

6. Jace

Jace Member

Yeah that does sound pretty awesome :) Don't have computer privileges at me ol' workplace, so the diggle-worshipping begins and ends on the same machine! What exactly does the nuking do to help my situation? Will the one time do the trick? I will be playing this amazing game no matter what but it would sure put my mind at ease to know that I might be able to take a character all the way through one day XD

7. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Nuking the cloud basically forces the cloud to discard all the data it has. Please note that if you don't disable the cloud right after nuking it your saves could still get messed up (though, in different ways than they were) because the cloud's implementation of disabling itself is laughably poor.

Your saves were still there? Um...yeah, I don't actually know what that means. Wait for Daynab or one of the Gaslamp devs to say something? They're pretty active.

Bohandas likes this.
  8. Jace

Jace Member

Thanks Banjo2E, I mistakenly read that instruction as "check the box" instead of "uncheck" XD just wanted to make sure! I shall boldly trudge through this dungeon and it will be a long, long time before I use any rogue skills again, which is what my awesome character was all about. Hopefully I've done everything right and can get my new warlock through to Dredmor!