Ouya: Open Source Android Console

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by SamuelMarston, Jul 13, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I have been checking to find the raw processing power of the Xbox 360 and what it compares to.

The GPU manages 240 GigaFLOP/s.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenos_(graphics_chip)

I then checked what a stock video card for a PC manages. I searched for my own Radeon 5850. It manages 2088 GigaFLOP/s.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_5850

Then I checked what the Tegra 3 will manage... Or tried to. I could find nothing at all listing the FLOP/s performance. The merging of CPU and GPU has no doubt made it difficult to answer performance in a realistic way. FLOP/s may not be good enough of a ruler for this. :(

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Asus-Eee-Pad-Transformer-Prime-Preview/?page=1
    http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/01/fi...ore-chip-just-slightly-faster-than-apples-a5/
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-3-processor.html

Anyone know what if anything I can do to find a good scale on performance?

(Yes, my 5850 does just shy of 10x the GFLOP/s of the Xbox 360. But that may not spell out the strengths of the Xbox 360 fairly.)

2. OmniNegro likes this.
  3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Even accounting for the Tegra 3 running at twice the speed in that review, it would still be exactly 1/10th the performance of the Xbox 360... Ouch. That may sink this particular ship.

Thanks for the link. You managed far better than I did. :)

4. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Tegra3 (the specific version) they'll have isn't too bad actually. Here's some of what it can do.
    IMO the software is the biggest issue here.

5. shaken

shaken Member

If they make it as accessible to developers as they are purporting, I think we could see a large indie scene on the console, similar to the current mobile market. And that may be enough.

6. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Possibly, but it needs a good way to sort things. On XBLA for example, good studios have no way of staying on top or getting visibility through the insane amount of shovelware that goes through it, so it's a pretty bad platform for them.

shaken likes this.
  7. shaken

shaken Member

You're absolutely right. Excellent point.

8. SamuelMarston

SamuelMarston Member

I completely agree. I feel like the internet does a good job with word of mouth, but there should be something software side that sorts by rating or genre (or both!) XBLIG it's really hard to browse for games you aren't already intending to buy and make an informed purchase. At least on the Ouya there will be a trial version of everything.

9. mining

mining Member

Sorry, but I'll need a number that's ~6x as large to compete with a console that's been out for 7 years.

There's 6 times as many new owners of XBox 360s than there are people who want to chance it on the Ouya. I'm just not impressed enough to predict a resounding success.

10. Man your comparison isn't really fair. You are comparing an established console with worldwide retail coverage (I think :) ) with a console which 'does not even exist' and can be only preordered via kickstarter and they also have a cap of 80 000 preorders.

11. mining

mining Member

Yeah, but I'm posting new uptake when there's rumors of a new product, when the existing product is 7 years old. If I were a development studio, I know which platform I'd rather develop for - it's the one making more sales a month than the other can produce in a year.

12. Those who want to buy a console now buy a console which already exists. Those who are waiting for a new product to come are waiting...
    Of course if you are a big company you move in for the big buck and what that means is that if you are a small company you move in for the buck that the big company doesn't care about.

13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I read the same old circular arguments again... They are established, therefore they will succeed. And that makes them established...

Do not count Ouya out. It costs less than a specific purpose box and can handle many tasks. People will buy them. Your arguments sound like the MPAA saying people will never pay real money for streaming video. Yeah. They said that BS. And you can buy streaming video from a hundred different sites now. People will never pay for radio. How much does Sirius Radio cost again?

Quit while you are ahead.

14. SamuelMarston

SamuelMarston Member

The system isn't out yet. No one here is calling it a resounding success. Someone said that no one would buy a system without confirmed games, and I was simply pointing out that people have. :D

Also, I don't think this system is supposed to compete or replace the 360 or ps3. This is a console much like the Wii. Doing something different to compete in a niche sector of the market.

I'm excited, because this platform could bring games like dredmor into the living room. That, is an awesome prospect.

15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

The Xbox 360, PS3, and Nintendo Wii are all made of the same things. Unicorn Blood mixed with Angel Tears. They are formed from unholy rituals where child slaves are raped and beaten with a controller. You wonder why we call it a controller? It serves a dual purpose for these murder facilities.

The Ouya is made of pure, unadulterated love and kindness. It is formed from the motion of kittens purring and bunnies hopping around. The makers feed the hungry and heal the sick rather than make more consoles...

Yeah. Sure. :)

Saying one console it better because it is more popular after a seven year advantage really is saying as little as I actually said in this post. Nothing at all. If the Ouya was seven years old I expect there would be millions of units out there. I do not expect the Ouya to destroy other consoles or even to drastically hamper their sales. I just expect it to be popular. More-so if it actually does succeed. But as others have said, we will see in time. :)

16. mining

mining Member

I'm just saying - when a console is selling at rate X when it's *7 years old* - I couldn't even sell a 7 year old computer to people - and a console that people are touting as "the future of console gaming" and similar, and its appearing in non-populist publications e.g. Financial Review - and there's a mixture of hope and skepticism, I just don't see it being all that successful. People will spend their money on a big 3 console because it's guaranteed to have games, it'll have more other people playing it and they've been buying the last one for *7 years* in high quantities.

17. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Remember the Sega franchise? They were established and major. They died out even as they made new consoles. Time will tell. I am patient. (And I will avoid being quite as much a bitch as I was above to MOOMANiBE.)

18. mining

mining Member

Enough said.

19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Dreamcast was Sega? Hmmmm. My memory sucks. I thought the last Sega console was Genesis. But apparently they made the Saturn and Dreamcast after before switching to software only.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega

20. LionsDen

LionsDen Member