Windows Vista/7 64-bit Game resolution bug.

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by leoleosuper, Jul 15, 2012.

1. leoleosuper

leoleosuper Member

OK so I was going to play DoD on my new laptop, but no matter what resolution options I change it is TOO BIG for my screen (it goes outside of my screen). And my resolution is 1920 x 1080! Windowed and full screen modes don't work right ether! Also in full screen mode my toolbar is still showing. It could be because I switched from mac (snow leopard) to Windows 7-64 bit.

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

...Strange, in windowed mode can't you drag the game window back inside the edges of the screen?
    And can you give me the name of your laptop and specs?

3. leoleosuper

leoleosuper Member

In windowed mode no and My laptop is a ASUS 500GB HD 6GB Ram and I can't find the rest of the specs (I am still new to windows 7)

4. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Go to Start > Run, enter "cmd". In the window that pops up, type in "systeminfo".

5. leoleosuper

leoleosuper Member

Host Name: ASUS-PC
    OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    OS Version: 6.1.7600 N/A Build 7600
    OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
    OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
    Registered Owner: ASUS
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer Inc.
    System Model: G60JX
    System Type: x64-based PC
    Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
    [01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5 GenuineInt

6. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, the resolution that model takes is 1366 x 768 so try selecting that one.

7. leoleosuper

leoleosuper Member

My computer's resolution is set to 1920 X 1080 and the lowest the game goes to is like 1280 X 1024.

8. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

/sigh

You never said you were using an external monitor. This changes things quite a bit. Check this out to see the specs of your system. Most people use the laptop monitor and for future reference, please do tell us when you use an external monitor, especially in situations where the monitor is doubtlessly part of what we need to know about to help fix this.
    http://laptops-specs.blogspot.com/2010/04/asus-gaming-g60jx-specifications.html

Now please tell us what monitor you are using and how you have it plugged in? (HDMI, DVI. VGA/D-Sub?)

9. leoleosuper

leoleosuper Member

No external monitor. Just the laptop monitor.

10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Then what system do you actually have? The specifications of the G60JX clearly say it has a maximum resolution of 1366 x 768.

11. leoleosuper

leoleosuper Member

Well the previous owner (I got it off Ebay) said he used a external keyboard mouse and SCREEN! So maybe that's a problem. But the system info did say it was a G60JX

12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Alright. Let us leave the monitor out of the equation if possible. Do you know how it is hooked up? HDMI? DVI? And do you know if the system indicates it is a secondary monitor or if it is the primary? For example, when I right click on my desktop and select "Screen Resolution" I get something that looks like this image below. It tells me my resolution, and that it is display #1 hooked up via DVI.
    Monitor.jpg

13. leoleosuper

leoleosuper Member

I don't know the name but it is 5 pin things wide and 3 tall. Sorry but I'm not good with monitors.

14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Sounds like VGA to me.

[​IMG]

OmniNegro likes this.
  15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

Does this look right? And if you open the screen resolution part it shows similar to what I posted in the image above except the DVI is VGA?

I suggest setting the resolution as low as it can go if it does not have one with "(Recommended)" beside it like mine has for 1920 x 1080. Be sure it is set to landscape mode or it will be a pain to get configured right. We can and will help get this working. But it is almost always easiest to start with the smallest supported resolution and work our way up from there.

My guess is that the seller on eBay changed the monitor out for the one you currently have because the original monitor was damaged in some way.That is not too uncommon. It just complicates some things we need to know.

If you open the control panel and then the device manager, what does it show under "Display Adapters"? I presume it says Nvidia Geforce and some numbers. (Those numbers really do not matter in this case, but you may want to remember this if you have trouble with other games.)

We can help. And we will. Sorry for me being a bit bitchy earlier. I thought you were withholding the exact information you were asked for. But in reality, you just have an abnormal system. I hope you will forgive that. :)

*Edit* Ninja'ed by Althea! I spend too damned long writing posts...

16. leoleosuper

leoleosuper Member

Well in your earlier message you showed a screen shot. When I open "Change Screen Resolution" or whatever I get that exact screenshot. Also it is a VGA cable but without screw holes.

17. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Well I am unsure what I can say that will help. But first of all let us try the easiest solution. Right click your shortcut to launch DoD outside of Steam and click properties. Then click the "Compatibility" tab and check "Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution" and click ok. Try that and see if it lets you move it around. If that fails we can move on to slightly more advanced troubleshooting.

Namely, I will make a configuration on my system to run in a window at a low resolution and tell you exactly how to import the settings so you can see if that works. We can always increase the size in steps as we see it working until we get something you will like.

18. leoleosuper

leoleosuper Member

It doesn't have a "Compatibility" tab under properties.

19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

This is what I see.
    Properties.jpg

20. leoleosuper

leoleosuper Member