GRPD Random Roll Competition

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Cain Redfield, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Frelus

Frelus Member

Well, that free teleport was not worth wasting 5 points on (and only on the teleport).
    Well, he's dead anyway.

2. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

And in any event it's not free anymore, they got the penalties working IIRC.

3. Warlock

Warlock Member

Currently at level 7, and if not for merciful equipment spawns and a pile of resistances, I'd be deader than last year's mutton at least 5 times over by now. 8 levels to go, and things are still going OK if not perfect for the time being. I don't know what I would have done without magic resistance mitigating corruptions. I've only got two so far and they're mostly unimportant penalties for this build. Tenebrous Rift has pulled my ass out of the fire more often than I can count.

4. Frelus

Frelus Member

It drains 75 mana. I did not need mana. Profit ;)

5. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Well on my first roll I get:

Swords, Vampirism, Perception, Fungal Arts, Killer Vegan, Barrier Maiden, Poisoneer

For a vegan vampire, that seems workable enough. Barmitkin ventures herself a dungeon for great plunder.

6. BMandFighter

BMandFighter Member

Starting my first one. Here's my roll:

Staves
    Dual Wield
    Necronecrinomics
    Viking Magic
    Blood Magic
    Smithing
    Killer Vegan

I've never had such a good random roll before. Here's hoping I don't botch it.

7. Hybelkanin

Hybelkanin Member

Think we're doing this mod-less, Kaidelong. :)

8. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

There's a different thread for modded competition but I think that one kind of died out.

9. Trivial

Trivial Member

Just defeated Dredmor on going rogue with a random build. (swords/maces/assassination/fungal arts/promethean magic/master of arms/archaeology. score was 2600248. Played it as an obvious tank that relied on a variety of pets for distraction.

10. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Oh indeed, I had the wrong thread.

11. Giygas

Giygas Member

If swords had become burglary, you would have had a very good roll there.

My current run is going poorly, although i'm making progress. Rouge Scientist is dishing out most of my damage for me, and with my Malleus book i'm killing everything in two or three hits. My only problem is that my :armor_asorb:, :trap_sense:, and :trap_level: are PITIFULLY low. Armor is so low that I might actually have to skip the 7th floor when it comes (which I nearly always do).

12. Warlock

Warlock Member

Update for second attempt: I have reached floor 12 last night. I'll probably try finishing it up today and see how things match up. Tenebrous Rift is god drat hilarious with the right equipment. Clockwork Knight helps with other AOE and Threshing...... yeah. If I have to hit things with my weapons, Threshing uber alles. And alchemy + perception = infinite booze and potions. Perception + Monster Zoo = poo poo everywhere once I'm finished with it. I have so many zorkmids now that if this was real, I'd be a loving billionaire, assuming that zorkmids are real gold.

Edit: Once again, I am winnar. Attempt the second's score = 2,657,396.

13. Trivial

Trivial Member

Yeah, the swords/maces combo made me indecisive on specializing for a fair amount of time. Went for Maces eventually after a good chest of evil find, then finally completed levelling up the swords, which I was using by the end.

On a second roll now for shits and giggles with maces/crossbows/magic training/emomancy/werediggle/tinkering/perception. Seems like it might be okay for a ranged attack emphasis. We will see.

14. BMandFighter

BMandFighter Member

First attempt died on DL3 when I hit a caltrop eruptor while running away from an angry mob.
    Score: 37232

Second try:
    Staff
    Bezerker Rage
    Psionics
    Viking Magic
    Wand Crafting
    Smithing
    Warlockery

15. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

First attempt: Master of Arms, Promethean, Emomancy, Fungal Arts, Piracy, Demonologist, Rogue Scientist.
    Still in early days. Got slime pet, suit up, exploding rune, wyrmling. Mana is short, so Fireball might NOT be the obvious next choice. I'm thinking maybe rush to 2:alchemy: in Rogue Scientist, to start cranking the healing potions?

Ok, dead. Played too late in the evening last night, and ended up walking as I nodded off - right into some caltrops. Bleh. 11,284 points.

Next attempt! I often play random, but I wouldn't have ever run with this awful mess if I weren't trying to play this challenge out... Swords, Unarmed, Golemancy, Astrology, Werediggle, Rogue Scientist, Warlockery. Ugh.

I guess I'll grab the moustache, and try to play a mage? Once again the 2:alchemy: in Rogue Scientist is awfully tempting...

Ok - THAT didn't take long! Died by kicking down a door with a bat on the other side. Score 672.

Next roll! Swords, Berserk, Master of Arms, Fleshsmithing, Magic Training, Assassination, Piracy. Hmmm - pretty bland. Really close to a good build, actually. Shield + Assassination would be better, and Magic Training is obviously a dump skill. I guess I'll get swashbuckling, suit up, and then alternate swords + piracy.

Okay! That actually went way better than I thought it would - found a good staff that made Knit Flesh really cost-effective, and I finished the Piracy tree for infinite cannonballs to throw. Was almost done with DL4 when I made a silly mistake and meleed with a Pumpkin for no reason instead of just killing it from range. Score 62244

Next roll! Shield Bearer, Master of Arms, Big Game Hunter, Alchemy, Smithing, Piracy, Warlockery. Good synergy there - all it's really lacking is a melee skill. I'll probably get Smithing up to max my block, and grab 1 level of alchemy. We'll see what happens after that.

16. Giygas

Giygas Member

Wow, i'm actually surviving. DL 13 and above two million points. I might actually win this thing.

17. Warlock

Warlock Member

Let me know if you win. I'll probably have to make a few attempts to safeguard my score. :)

18. Giygas

Giygas Member

Nooooooooooooo! Steam wiped my save! (Well, not completely; i'm just on Level 4 instead of Level 15 though).

I wasn't smart enough to take a screenie of my score, but I did get a picture of Dredmor. My score was over 3200000, so that's what i'll post it as.

[​IMG]

I easily could have killed Dred, though. I mean, look at all my ammo (70+ clockwork saw thingies, 3 bolts of mass destruction, etc)... and all my gargle blasters XD

Ironically, I had gone on Steam instead of using the launcher outside of Steam so that it recorded the achievment. Instead it made it much harder to get >_>

I don't even know if it's possible to recover the save. There's no evidence of the save at all.

19. Warlock

Warlock Member

I'll take your word for it :) You can't fake screenies anyway, I'll start a new attempt.
    Clockwork Knight, Archaeology, Alchemy, Tinkering, Perception, Promethean Magic, Battle Geology (? this is the same identical skillset I got in my first run, I think?)

20. Giygas

Giygas Member

If it IS the same, you might have hit the "last" button instead of a random roll.

Either way, at least my top 3 score will increase; my 7th run is doing surprisingly well. Of course, i'm still on the first floor, so it's too early to tell. I also need :trap_sense: desperately because i'm wanking in to traps faster than a Diggle can and I have no skills that grant it. :/ The score won't be as good because I don't have Archaeology.