Windows Vista/7 32-bit Steam Overlay does not seem to work with expansion

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Foxhack, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Foxhack

Foxhack Member

I just installed the expansion and for some reason Steam overlay refuses to work properly.

I can hear message notifications fine, but pressing the overlay key (Pause / Break) doesn't bring up the overlay. Instead, I get a second mouse cursor - the normal Windows one. I can move the second cursor around just fine but I can't interact with the game until I hit the overlay key again.

Oddly, Steam screenshots work just fine.

I used to run the game with "-opengl" in the launch options for the overlay to work, but now it doesn't make a difference. This happens on both fullscreen and windowed mode, in any resolution.

My PC runs Windows 7 Home 32-bit, my video card is an AMD Radeon HD 6850.

2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I reported this in the feedback thread. It's working as far as I can tell, it's just not visible.

3. Foxhack

Foxhack Member

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware of that thread, I don't really visit these forums often.

Thanks, hopefully this will be fixed shortly.

4. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Yeah - something, somewhere, seems to have broken for a few people. I'm taking a look. The weird thing is that we didn't touch this *at all*.

Exile likes this.
  5. analogline

analogline Member

I noticed that in the properties of the game, the DLC is called "ValveTestApp98821" so I don't know if that might be related to the overlay thing. I'm also having the problem, only found that oddity by going in to the properties to see if the overlay was turned off, because I couldn't take a screenshot of What I Had To Name The Expansion.

6. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

The name difference wouldn't be causing this problem - it's Steam needing to update itself somehow in some respect.

7. Cekkins

Cekkins Member

Hi, any news about this?

I really like the game but without steam achievement notifications and/or steam overlay features I have lost interest.
    Someone can give us some information about the next patch?

8. Cekkins

Cekkins Member

bump.... anyone with the same issue here? Or am I the only one?

9. Darkmere

Darkmere Member

I have the same problem, Win7x64. Only recently came back to the game though, no idea when all the problems started. -opengl does nothing for me either.

10. Scout

Scout Member

Happening to me too. I'm running Vista 64; -opengl worked for a while but it doesn't seem to work anymore.

As much as I like seeing the achievements pop up when I get them, having the Steam overlay not work isn't the biggest deal to me.

11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

-opengl does not work in the game. Nicholas said this himself somewhere at sometime. The game uses pure software rendering for everything at current unless it has been changed and somehow omitted from the details. I cannot fathom they would re-enable opengl and not mention it.

Exile likes this.
  12. Darkmere

Darkmere Member

Right, but for whatever reason adding -opengl to the steam launch parameters enabled the overlay some time ago. That trick now no longer works, for whatever reason. All I meant was, the previous solution to this problem... no longer solves my problem.

13. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

It used to work before this patch to fix the overlay. Unfortunately it doesn't and they said they didn't touch it.

14. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Exile likes this.
  15. Cekkins

Cekkins Member

Is going to be patched anyway?Or someone have a fix (I.e. there is a way to turn off dlcs and skip the problem?)
    Personally I think achievements pop-up add a lot to the game... I prefer waiting untill this bug is fixed rather than playing as it is right now, but without any words from the developers i'm stuck!

16. Cekkins

Cekkins Member

bump! I really want to come back to play the game with all its features!

17. SamuelMarston

SamuelMarston Member

This is what the developers have had to say, in this very thread:

I don't know if I'd consider the Steam overlay a feature of the game. Steam overlay is a feature of Steam that is apparently not working right now with Dungeons of Dredmor. You can play the game still. It works and is fun.

18. Cekkins

Cekkins Member

Yes, I can play it, but since this game have fun achievements, (really fun, not ones that you read after complete a boring mission of *Insert title here*) I want to enjoy every single bit of it.
    For example, when I edited the title screen with YHTNTEP I missed that i unlock the achi.... I checked it back 2 days later on steam community and seeing it make me a bit disappointed... this is a minor issue, I know, but add more to the game. A lot more in my case. If developers clearly state that steam overlay is no longer supported i'm going back to play the game as it is right now. If we have an opportunity to see this fixed, then I prefer to wait. But in both cases, more specific information can't hurt....

Hope is all understandable ---^

19. SamuelMarston

SamuelMarston Member

That makes perfect sense. I just personally wouldn't want to be without Dredmor. It's my favorite game.

20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I don't know if those of you having issues with the overlay still have the -opengl fix going. I'm still using it, and whilst the overlay isn't visible or even shows signs of working, I'm still gaining achievements and I'm able to take screenshots.

Might be worth using it for now until a 'proper' fix comes along.