Music of choice of Dredmor players

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Cain Redfield, Jul 3, 2012.

?

What Genres do you tend to listen to the most

1. Classic Rock

34 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. Indie Rock

32 vote(s)
    45.7%
  3. Mainstream Pop

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. Country

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. Punk Rock

16 vote(s)
    22.9%
  6. Heavy Metal

34 vote(s)
    48.6%
  7. EDM (Electronic Dance Music, Dubstep, House, Trance)

30 vote(s)
    42.9%
  8. Hip-Hop, R&B, Rap

15 vote(s)
    21.4%
  9. Funk

13 vote(s)
    18.6%
  10. Jazz

22 vote(s)
    31.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cain Redfield

Cain Redfield Member

So I was kind of curious what kinds of music you guys all listen to. I'm a huge EDM fan personally. Lots of Dubstep and House and DnB. But there's not really any genre I don't listen to.

(I know I'm missing genres, but that's all I could fit.)

2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

NiN. Led Zeppelin. String Quartets. That is pretty much it. :)

3. Createx

Createx Member

All of the above? Seriously, I listen to sooooo much...
    It's very mood dependent for me, I also tend to go through phases...
    German Rock (Die Ärzte, if anyone knows them) got me into music, I had the Pop-Punk phase then (Millencollin, The Offspring, etc...). I went to Grunge then, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Screaming Trees... From there to Stoner Rock with Queens of the Stone Age, Kyuss, Mondo Generator... Mark Lanegan brought me into Psychedelic Alternative, Blues and anything basically. I love Tom Waits, Simon and Garfunkel, Jonny Cash (Only American Recordings though, never got much into Country). I love certain Indie Bands like Bloc Party and Hard Fi, also Cage The Elephant and Bonaparte for my dose of crazyness.
    I also listen to good Electronic Music, mostly Minimal like Trentemoller or Kalkbrenner. Post-Rock is also somewhere in there, even though it's hipsta it's pretty cool :p
    That somehow brought me into the wonderful world of artsy weird stuff like like CocoRosie or Soley, from where I ended up listening to Kilimandscharo Darkjazz and Math Rock.
    No, that's not all, but I could go on for hours. Luckily (?) Youtube is banning pretty much all music in Germany, so I'm not getting much new stuff...
    Too bad my local library has nearly a floor only with CDs.

4. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I had to check most of those :D

Really it depends on the day.
    Lately I've gotten into In Flames which is some pretty heavy stuff depending on the song.

Other than that... 30 Seconds to Mars is always a solid choice.

Loswaith likes this.
  5. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I primarily listen to Classic Rock, Blues, Folk, and classic R&B. I couldn't pick the hip-hop/R&B category since what I like is so much different than the contemporary stuff. I recently rediscovered Laura Nyro (I kind of had been exposed to her when I was young, but investigated and rediscovered her music after she was inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of Fame).

I have started listening a bit to one more contemporary band a bit, The Black Keys -- at least I like their more bluesy stuff (not crazy about some of their more contemporary/pop-sounding music). Also, I'm back on an Animals/Eric Burdon kick after finally getting tired of Beatles music (every now and again, I obsess over a different band/musician, then move to someone else after a few weeks or so, then eventually cycle back -- next month maybe I'll be obsessing over The Kinks or Bruce Springsteen or Joni Mitchell).

6. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I want to keep linking because there's so much good stuff, but this will give you a taste.

7. Warlock

Warlock Member

Don't go in for genres much. If I like the individual soundtrack I'll happily listen to it, and I'll shift through entire albums to get what I want. I primarily listen to a lot of stuff from the 80s and 90s. Largely old-school here but I enjoy some newer songs too.

But if I had a choice I'd listen to the Monster Zoo jingle on loop very happily for a few hours. Does that make me sound weird? :oops:

8. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Yes. That and other things. (No, your tastes are your own. We should expect diversity.)

9. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

I don't listen to a particular genre, everything is on a case-by-case basis.

But I usually don't listen to harder metal, techno, rap & hip-hop, trance, dubstep, etc.

What I listen to? Orchestral soundtracks (Jeremy Soule, Howard Shore, Steve Jablonsky, Paul Romero and more), classical music, then some Within Temptation (something akin to Nightwish), Scorpions, some local rock bands which are most probably unknown beyond Slovak and Czech borders, and a few more. Now that's a weird combo, isn't it? :)

I haven't voted yet because there are some options missing for me. :)

Giygas and Kazeto like this.
  10. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

I'm a gamer at heart. I listen to anything of the styles that have been played in video games over the past two decades, which mostly means electronica but also some orchestral.

I particularly like electric guitars, and cannot stand rap/hip-hop (because 95% of the stuff I've heard was mediocre-at-best poetry haphazardly synched to an uninteresting beat, and I tend to weigh music over lyrics; the remaining 5% is mostly parodies) and country (because I don't really know, it just sort of rubs me the wrong way whenever I listen to it).

11. Createx

Createx Member

There is actually good Rap, though I only know good German Rap, where the lyrics wouldn't make much sense to you guys :D

This is a band from Uruguay, usually more Skapunky, but I particularly love this one thanks to being slow and pensive and having pretty poetic yet damn weird lyrics.

This is Darkjazz, pretty strange stuff, nice to relax and think.

This is classic, awesome voice!

One of the best living voices in rock, also check out "Hanging Tree" by Mark Lanegan solo (Queens of the Stone Age version is good, but not that good) for goosebumps.

12. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

+1 for The Black Keys, one of the very few bluesy bands I like.

For something completely different than what I have linked before, have some post-rock (a type of experimental instrumental rock with unconventional patterns and rhythms.)
    I really, really like this song. Very relaxing.

13. Createx

Createx Member

Yay for Post stuff! I like Godspeed You Black Emperor, which have the most epic name. Also
    Those are some friends of mine, if you listen to them know you'll be an ultra hipster if they ever get famous!

Unicycles likes this.
  14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

No choice for Epic Orchestral/Trailer Music? Pfft.

15. Unicycles

Unicycles Member

I suppose Heavy Metal is closest to what I enjoy. I mostly listen to black and death metal. That, however, doesn't mean I don't enjoy pretty much everything, there's far too much creativity in the world to listen not listen to a range of genres.

My absolute favourite bands include:
    • Ulver
    • Woods of Desolation
    • David Bowie
    • The Cure
    • Type O Negative
    • Agalloch
    • Bolt Thrower
    • etc. etc. etc. :p

16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I listen to some metal and electronica, but not much. With metal I'm much more into non-English folk metal (Menhir, Heidevolk, Arkona, etc), although I must confess a soft spot for Dethklok (how can you NOT like Dethklok?)

Electronica? Well, the guy who did the Sanctum soundtrack is good (GSTFS is the name he used, but I forgot his real name), and I liked Jim Guthrie's soundtrack for Sword & Sworcery, but I have an album or two of Solar Fields (he did the soundtrack for Mirror's Edge) and he's AWESOME. Frank Klepacki is semi-electronic, I think, and he's pretty good.

So soundtracks, folk metal and epic orchestral/trailer music. I'm weird :D

17. Unicycles

Unicycles Member

Ooh, Solar Fields is excellent. I love his work in Mirror's Edge (one of my favourite games), I always like listening to that stuff while I firedance :D

18. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

You firedance? Cool.

If you've not heard Sol (it's on the Movements album), I highly recommend it. It makes me make funny noises at a certain point, because the layering builds up and up and up and then the bass kicks in and you end up crossing your legs tightly and I'm saying too much.

The amazing bit is at 5:45, but it really only works with a decent set of headphones (or perhaps decent speakers with a good subwoofer), and you need to let the song build up to that point. Oh, and it needs to be loud, too.

19. Unicycles

Unicycles Member

I do indeed :) And I listened to that with my pair of fancy headphones, majestic is one word that comes to mind!

20. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Just wanted to second any option that includes Two Steps (and Future World Music, X-Ray Dog, ect).