Seeking Coder for Indie PC Game

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by FaxCelestis, Jun 29, 2012.

1. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

You read that right. Essence and I are looking at putting together a PC game. Problem is: I can art and design, and Essence can design and write...neither of us can code. So we're seeking someone motivated to code for us and take part in the design experience (and art too, if you're so inclined).

We can't pay you up front, but we can give you an even share of the profits made (if any) from the game's release. Let me know, either here or via PM: I'll be watching this thread.

Don't apply if you're not going to be committed to this project: we're very very serious about this, and we don't need someone phoning it in. I'm not saying that this project has to be your full-time job: I'm just saying that if you can't spare some spare time every day to work on this, then this probably isn't for you.

Some of you probably know me by my reputation: those of you that don't might know me as being one of the people who worked on You Have to Name the Expansion Pack. Or you might know me as one of the dudes who placed Top 16 in last year's RPG Superstar. Essence also worked on YHtNtEP (in addition to other exploits of daring and wonder that are too awesome for me to type here), and I've been very impressed with his work thus far. If you think you can make us proud, let us know and we'll pass you the screening process program.

Oh, that's right: in order for us to consider your application a serious one, we'll need you to write a small test program for us, just so we can see your capabilities.

We'll need you to turn this into a playable PC game for your application. No, we don't care what language it's written in. No, it doesn't have to look fancy. And no, the AI doesn't have to be terribly smart. This is a test program, not a release candidate. However, if this is something you're going to struggle with, then this project (which will require a more sophisticated AI and UI, though the UI design won't totally be your domain) might not be for you.

OmniNegro and Kazeto like this.
  2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

/Sigh

Dodge until there are only two. Then Halt until you win. Easy enough. :)

3. delta534

delta534 Member

Oh, curse my unpredictable schedule.

4. FaxCelestis

It's only a model.

5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I know. I just see a 50% chance of winning if you do that. Lucky for you, I cannot code my way out of a paper bag. :)

6. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Best of luck.

7. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Great Expectations is no longer just a Dickens book...

Essence and Godwin like this.
  8. What's the project about?

9. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

Although I absolutely don't have the time to do this, I may have accidentally started building a prototype of that concept. By accident! And it led me to a hypothetical question - did you want the application test network-capable? LAN or TCP/IP?

10. FaxCelestis

The test app can do whatever you want it to, as long as it follows the game rules.

As far as the project info, the TL;DR is giant mecha poker turn-based strategy.

11. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Been done. Round about 3 or 4 players left (assuming 8 started), everyone will Assail you until you die. You'll end the game with zero VP and 0 HP. Even if you change your mind and start attacking, someone who has been attacking since the first round will still have more VP than you could possibly catch up with. Surviving isn't winning, see. :)

12. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

By the way, your test app is absolutely trivial to code. Seriously I could probably code it up as a console app in about fifteen minutes.
    EDIT: Half an hour is probably better, fifteen minutes was just to give an idea how easy it was, not a good estimate. Also I've ended up using java which has quite a lot of bloat.
    EDIT: forty five minutes is probably better. I'm not going to spend time justifying it
    Might as well just say it will be done Soon™.

13. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

That's kind of the point. We don't want to make someone do something they'd be pissed that they're not getting paid for -- we just want to know for sure that they have the chops to do the big job. :)

14. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Yeah but it's easy and boring, just time consuming.

Okay, in trying to do this quickly some of the code is terrible. Please do not look lest your eyes gouge themselves out.

This is taking forever actually; I didn't notice a lot of small wording bits in your descriptions that change everything. Like halt being for all actions regardless of target and dodge lasting for a turn later. I'll finish it later, I've spent an hour and a half already.

15. FaxCelestis

So is most of the code we're asking for.

16. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Which is precisely why you are doing it, yeah.

I don't like the fact that I don't have enough time to think of that, so I'll just wish you good luck with that.

17. How do you know if you can't code? :p

18. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I reckon they just aren't planning for their game to have any crazy features in it.

And besides, what people consider to be "easy, but time consuming" depends on how much experience they have. You don't have nearly as much experience as Null, so for you it might be different.

19. That's the reason why I asked. Fax claiming that they can't code yet saying it's mostly on the same level :confused:
    It very well might be that he's more experienced but now I have to assume that you are a psychic by trade. ;)

20. FaxCelestis

I don't know how to code, but I do know how complex the things we're looking for are. The most complicated things we have are a 'dig through discard' mechanic, a 'set these cards aside until X condition is met' mechanic, and AI.