Dredmor Patch 1.0.11 Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Nicholas, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

That's because some people don't want to, or can't (it's possible, you know) use Steam, and that means for people who bought it from HIB making those two sources equivalent is not always good.

OmniNegro likes this.
  2. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

Ahh, I understand. I personally love steam, and (miraculously) haven't had an issue with it even during the WON days.

Hopefully the Desura and standalone nonsense gets fixed up soon. Everyone deserves to die, you know.

3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

As Kazeto said, some people simply cannot use Steam. Military contractors may be required to not connect to some types of software that is believed to be exploitable or risky. Steam is most certainly one of those. Not that it is itself particularly bad. It is just so common that it has a higher risk associated with it because it is a bigger target. And it will not work with Peerblock and standard blocklists. Let me show you what I mean. :)

First I try to load Steam. This is the result of it failing to connect.
    Steam Block part one.jpg
    I then manually enable each of those addresses for 15 minutes since I do not need more than that to do all I will be doing. Then what happens?
    Steam Block part two.jpg
    Lots of duplicates, but it is unrelenting. I then manually enable each of them too. Does it work now? Yes. Partly at least. It lets me log in. What do I get now?
    Steam Block part three.jpg
    Yep. It hates not having absolute access. There is a reason those IPs are blocked by default in Peerblock. (And it updates the list of IPs regularly too.)

Steam is not the problem. But it does things that are problems for those who need to be absolutely certain nothing was sent or intercepted by their work system. Researchers in pharmaceutical laboratories work under similar restrictions. None of this is Steam's fault nor is it Gaslamp Games fault. It is just how things work.

Lorrelian, LionsDen and Kazeto like this.
  4. Though shouldn't these people use their work system for work? :p

5. Warlock

Warlock Member

You think everybody wants to be 100% focused on the job at hand? That's why certain jobs should be reserved for certain classes of people.

6. I do. Working would be much easier that way.

7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of this. If I am trying to solve a problem in any line of work using my PC and I cannot find a solution, sometimes the answer will just essentially come to me while I divert my attention on some dumb game.

And other times I may not be able to do any more work for a while because I am waiting on another person to finish their part of the project.

Also I dare say that entertained people are more productive.

I really do not know what you mean by the comment though. Obviously they should use the work system for work. But I for instance have exactly one PC. Any work I do is on this same PC that I play dumb games on.

I suppose I should have clarified that my example workers may be contractors that do not have a separate work PC handed to them to use for their work alone.

8. What I meant was that if your work is that serious that you have to take such countermeasures then it might be better even simpler to use a different computer for recreation.

9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Will you buy me a new PC to do my work on? I thought not. :p

10. The most I could offer is to play Dredmor for you :)

OmniNegro likes this.
  11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Close enough I guess. :)

12. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

... and we have heard back from Desura; they want us to make and upload a promotional trailer for the DLC before they'll publish it, as well as ten screenshots.

*sigh*

13. 0x517A5D

0x517A5D Member

How 'bout a free software-only PC? A virtual machine for play, and another for work.

Virtual Box is free and multiplatform, VMWare Basic Player is free and multiplatform, QEMU for Linux is free and does not require root access, and Windows Virtual PC is free for certain editions of Windows 7.

OmniNegro likes this.
  14. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Normally, yes. But there are exceptions when they are allowed to pretty much do "anything" on these computers, because they're waiting for something to happen so that they can continue doing their work, or because it's really their own system but they have an unreliable connection (when they are travelling, for example) and prefer to download something once rather than get something that requires maintaining a working connection all the time.

An example for you. I know a guy who is a network admin for a smaller company (not small enough for him to need to juggle work, though, as they pay him well enough), and some time ago he had to get there with his laptop, connect it to the network, and fix the "problem" that was happening. Since the problem (caused by utter idiocy of one of the users, obviously, but I can't give you any exact details) required doing something with the whole network that took 3 hours after starting it and required no real input, he was free to do anything he wanted, but he couldn't really leave. And so he started playing games on his laptop. The thing is, since right then the only connection he had was via the company network, Steam wouldn't work, just like some other programs wouldn't.

I can only sigh with you, Nicholas.

I guess it does make sense that they want some kind of standard to be maintained, but if it was that sort of answer, they should've scrambled a reply for you sooner.

OmniNegro likes this.
  15. Warlock

Warlock Member

FFFF

Couldn't they have mumbled that sooner?

16. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

If Desura wants to stay in business, they clearly need some transparency and a half-dozen more button-mashing zombies on the payroll. I understand they are literally just a few people, but they are trying to do things that require a staff.

Why can they not do like Wazhack does and have the Desura link to buy the game right on the home page of the actual game? If I was browsing Desura looking for a game to play, I would go to the hope page of the game itself for better details. Not stay around and wonder why videos and screenshots were not falling from the sky.

Would you like some of us to make a fraps video or ten about the game? We can make a thread to submit them and you can pick what you like out of them.

17. That's up to the game devs to put the Desura buy link on their site.

@Kazeto
    Okay though I guess I wasn't really clear. What I envisioned was more like a bunch of top scientists in a secret underground bunker conducting genetic experiments to create supersoldiers with a sad face because they can't play Counter Strike.

DavidB1111 and Kazeto like this.
  18. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

From Dave @ Desura this morning,. the head honcho:

"I am willing to make an exception as you have made specific Desura trailers in the past. Plus we love you guys, like creepy love. I have some of your hair at home actually, don't worry how I managed to get it."

... so that's where it's been going.

coldcandor, Marak, banjo2E and 5 others like this.
  19. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Nice of them to say that, especially after not replying for a while earlier (I guess they just skimmed through the request flood earlier and only then noticed the response they gave you, which can happen). Though I don't want to know how they got your hair, and why (for voodoo magic?).

OmniNegro likes this.
  20. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

I wanna know! Where can I get some? How much for a pound? Do you sell them in individual packets?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.