XML Editor

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ConnivingTentacles, Jun 17, 2012.

1. What XML editor do people use when creating mods? Just notepad, or some specific XML editor?

2. ProtoMan

ProtoMan Member

I use Adobe Dreamweaver, although it isn't exactly free.
    I've heard people like notepad++, which is free.

3. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

I made most of FaxPax in motepad, and most of Vaults of Maslech in notepad++.

4. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I like notepad++ because it highlights the XML syntax. Makes it a lot easier to see if I've made a really stupid mistake.

5. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Notepad++ is the bomb.

6. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I've always just used plain -ass Notepad

7. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

And I use Notepad++. It's a leftover from the days when I had to be able to quickly edit files using different languages, and since it performed adequately, I never bothered to look for any alternative editor.

8. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

It's still the best for anything everyday use anyway, simply since it retains formatting. And it can open more file types.

Oh and dark themes.

Kazeto likes this.
  9. ProtoMan

ProtoMan Member

Another one that works great is Aptana Studio, if you like being different. It's better than notepad++ in my opinion, mostly because of the outline (which will help you so much when coding a big project.)
    Notepad++ is just a little too bare for my tastes. Ever since I started coding in eclipse I can't live without all of my shiny coding gadgets.

10. mining

mining Member

+1

11. jamiehad78

jamiehad78 Member

If youre not well conversed in xml i would suggest using a decent xml editor that has syntax highlighting, auto completion and validation, look into intellisense as well which is quite useful. Notepad++ is also okay but no highlighting or validation. I use Liquid XML Editor but its not free and probably overkill for minor xml work.

12. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Lies! My notepad++ does that! I just had to install the XMLTools plugin.

mining and Kazeto like this.
  13. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Still, it's possible. Everything is possible when you're a man (and know how to install plugins).

Essence likes this.
  14. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

15. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Thanks for introducing me to Notepad++, guys, this should make my job a bit easier.

Now, to figure out some sort of decent-looking workaround for the inability to make a spell select targets like diggingbeam but act like targetfloor...

16. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

BTW, is there any way to install additional fonts for Notepad++?

I sometimes use it for various things, including modding games, but the fonts inadequate for some purposes (Its fine for modding DoD, but when I'm modding Dwarf Fortress files it becomes inconvenient that Note++ lacks the special characters that are supposed to be part of the "Terminal" typeface)

17. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

In notepad++, click the settings menu and choose style configurator and just choose whatever font you want to use.

18. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Notepad++ rules. I just started using it a few weeks ago. But I have now associated it with everything I would notmally use crappy Notepad and/or Wordpad for.

The one and only problem I found is that it is a royal bitch to set associations for everything it supports. The menu to do this will not let you just select everything and click apply. You have to manually apply each entry manually. Hopefully they will add a universal apply button or let you select more than one entry in a later version.

19. mining

mining Member

Notepad++ is great and I love it to bits. My one complaint is that it can be unwieldy if you forget to close files - I've had in excess of 200 .xml and .nss files loaded up - and then you go to open one and its already open and you get shoved to the back of your queue etc. etc.

20. mining

mining Member

Notepad++ is great and I love it to bits. My one complaint is that it can be unwieldy if you forget to close files - I've had in excess of 200 .xml and .nss files loaded up - and then you go to open one and its already open and you get shoved to the back of your queue etc. etc.