Dredmor Patch 1.0.11 Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Nicholas, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shardz

Shardz Member

ARGH! All I get is "sign up to Steam! What's the problem?!". If we wanted Steam, we would have bought it there in the first place! I don't want anything to do with vALVE. o_0

So, in that instance, should all the customers from HIB and Desura go install that rootkit just to get an update? Desura customers don't get a Steam key anyway, so they should re-purchase the game to get it current? And people look at me funny when I get disturbed over this subject.

FaxCelestis: I bought DoD & RotDG on Desura and it's stuck at v1.010 for everyone BUT the ever-so-delightful Steamers. YHTNTEP will not work unless you have v1.011. The only way you can obtain v1.011 is to go through Steam and I will be doing that just as soon as they pry the last penny from my dying grasp.

The Others are waiting for what I call...

The Great Pumpkin Patch.

2. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Oh for the love of god.

I'm trying to help you, and all you're doing is giving me your self-entitlement bitch pitch. If you wanted help, you'd be less of a dick: but you don't. All you want is to complain. Sir, I salute your solidarity against Steam, even if I find it misplaced, but your attitude has forced me to come to a single conclusion: you are not worth my time. Good day.

coldcandor, mining, Nikolai and 7 others like this.
  3. Musaab

Musaab Member

I enjoy the Dredmor experience on Steam :)

4. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

You could always go to the IRC channel and get the latest Beta. For free.

5. Shardz

Shardz Member

I don't understand why you are angry and being the divine martyr in the matter, Fax. There's nothing you can do to help personally. Maybe pray, but I can't see anything else in the queue for you to assist in with these problems. I appreciate the attempt of uploaded user files and beta releases, but firstly, those do not work and obviously haven't been tested and secondly, my time is worth something, too. I did give it the old college try, but why should I have to work this hard to get an update? I've been installing my own patches since 1992 and haven't had too many problems obtaining said patches...until now.

I guess that settles the matter completely for a lot of people out there; don't buy off-Steam! Problem solved! I guess those useless charity bundle guys don't get their money and the kids don't get their toys. Oh, but vALVE does great! o_o

I simply walked across the lines into enemy territory with this release. I knew ahead of time it was a Steam darling project and I never touch those with a ten foot pole. What I didn't realize was that I would require about three days worth of reading week-old forum posts on another site(s) to learn that I should stay away from all other versions. This basic version information was not even made available on the landing page and I had no idea that I was purchasing v1.010 for *undisclosed amount of time*.

As far as the IRC files go, I appreciate the gesture, but I want an official release. The only alternative I have is to just walk away and never, ever compromise on my instincts ever again.

6. Teslacrashed

Teslacrashed Member

You are fooling yourself, Shards. Nothing here is what it seems. You are not the plucky hero, Valve is not an evil empire, and this is not the grand arena.

Seriously though dude, reading your post is like some absurd paranoid nut ramblings. Deploying software patches to multiple publishers is tricky. Especially when each publisher has it's own set ways of doing things, and their own backlog of things to do. You got the bum end of the stick. It sucks. But there is no conspiracy here. Merely Valve is a bigger entity with greater resources with which to handle patching their games faster.

And ya know what, sometimes, Steam DOESN'T get the patches first, and that makes people very unhappy, and those people sound like you, only on the opposite side of the coin.

coldcandor, mining, Marak and 5 others like this.
  7. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

He's doing it because you had become annoying, Shardz.

Ok, I understand that you don't like Steam for whatever reason or that you can't use it. But the constant complaining about how you know you are a second-class person because there's no expansion for Desura yet and about how woe is you is starting to be obnoxious.

Nicholas had confirmed that they did send the expansion and the 1.0.11 patch to Desura and they are still waiting for them to make it downloadable. You want to complain? Complain to the Desura team.
    OmniNegro was the one who hates Steam for whatever reason and was the creator of the thread dedicated to Steam hate. But he didn't step outside of that thread to proclaim himself to be discriminated against because he had to install Steam to get the updates.
    At least one person offered to frecking gift the game to you so that you wouldn't have to wait. And yet you are still there, complaining about how you have to means of getting the patch.

Yes, I understand that some people might not like Steam's distribution model or anything else related to it. Yes, I originally got DoD from HIB and installed Steam just to be able to get the first expansion pack. Yes, I am not entirely happy to have to use Steam. But when push came to shove, when presented with a choice I considered sub-optimal, I just got over myself and used that choice, instead of complaining about how poor I am because there are no choices.

So, why exactly is it that you can't just install Steam for a few minutes, agree to the offer of being gifted the game (an offer which I'm surprised someone really made, but that is beside the point), download the game, and then remove Steam? It can't be inability to use their software, because earlier you were rambling something about morals and honour. And it can't be related to the morals or honour or any combination of them because if it were, then you'd only be an ass for barking at GLG guys when you were told that it's Desura's fault.

* Also, it's my 1.024th post, and I had to use this milestone on something like that... ~sigh~

coldcandor, mining, Marak and 4 others like this.
  8. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

While I don't belong to Valve's Honour Guard, not by a long shot....Shardz, you are IMO going too far with your hatred. People here were willing to help you, but do you want to bitch about it for the sake of bitching?

And lest I forget, props to Nicholas for fine music taste. Oh, the memories.... :)

Marak and Kazeto like this.
  9. Shardz

Shardz Member

You people just don't understand whatsoever. Your ONLY solution is to get me on Steam OR download questionable files through IRC.

I'm done. Consider this a loss as I do. Going back to open source projects where they don't hold files hostage. When you guys are screaming in 5 years that Valve is worse than EA, remember little old me trying to tell you different long ago. Thanks for the fun.

10. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Those "questionable files" are release candidates.

But whatever. Goodbye.

11. Musaab

Musaab Member

Questionable files? Lol... I am Turkish, btw, and I laugh at the degenerate Vlad Tepes.

Kazeto likes this.
  12. Teslacrashed

Teslacrashed Member

Not to mention I haven't seen anyone pushing you to buy it on steam.

Most are just trying to get you to be patient until it arrives on desura and just understand there isn't' some evil conspiracy at work.

mining, Marak, TheJadedMieu and 2 others like this.
  13. Essence

I realize that this is too late, and thus probably useless, but consider that if this were an open source project, it wouldn't be terribly profitable OR as cool as it is, because the Gaslamp Games folks wouldn't have the control that they do -- the control that they use to make sure that the game is as awesome as it is. Trust me, looking around the mod folder, there are a lot of people who would mess up the spirit of the game pretty bad if they could (myself included).

You have very clear options:
    • Wait. Desura will fix their problem eventually (and it is their problem, you should be griping on their messageboards.)
    • if you're impatient, you can do as Kazeto suggested: use Steam to get the legit download and then erase Steam. Problem solved, you only interacted with Steam for all of 10 minutes, and you can play the game forever.
    • If you hate Steam beyond all rationality (hi, Omni!), use the IRC beta builds. They're created by Gaslamp Games, so they're not "questionable", they're just beta. As the testing continues, you get a more and more stable and complete build, until finally the last release candidate put up is essentially the complete game.
    • If you can't be arsed to do any of that and you're just here to complain, no one here will be sad to see you go -- or remember that you were ever here the day after tomorrow. Have a nice life!

coldcandor, mining, Marak and 8 others like this.
  14. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Bye! I was glad to experience your entertaining personality.

Have fun in your adventures in "I hate Steam, and everyone who likes it is evil incarnate." land.
    Oh, and by the way, I'm going to have to kill you now, for ruining Vlad Tepes Dracul's image. :)

OmniNegro likes this.
  15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

As others have pointed out, I hate Steam as much as you do Shardz. But I used it to get the game. I then uninstalled it and checked very thoroughly to make sure it did not leave anything behind. (I mounted my NTFS partition for Windows in Linux Mint and did my investigations through that, since if it were a rootkit it could hide from Windows and anything in Windows looking for it.)

What I found was that it is not leaving *ANYTHING* behind. So either take up the offer of another for a copy of the game, or take the offer I am making. I have a spare Steam copy. I will gladly give it to you. It is yours to do what you want with. You can install Steam and grab the download and I can even give detailed instructions on how to get the files and then kill Steam in it's entirety. You will not need Steam to play the game. You only need it to grab the download. If there was another solution, I would be glad to do it. But I am not going to make a torrent of the actual game. That is piracy. I am offering this to help. Please do not be upset if I piss you off by making this offer to help.

Steam sucks. I hate it and mostly agree it is killing PC gaming. But you know what? It is not the problem. It is just the way the problem manifests. If it were not Steam it would be Origins or something else doing exactly the same. People want something to do exactly what Steam does. Not you and not I, but the average person does.

Here is an article I wrote a while back. Read it if you care to. I think you will agree entirely.
    http://geekmontage.com/texts/modern-games-verses-real-games/

banjo2E, Kazeto and Essence like this.
  16. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Aaaaanyway, he left so let's get back to 1.0.11 feedback, please.

17. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I like caltrop eruptors (the ones that multiply infinitely). Is that a valid opinion or will you tell me to get more sleep?

mining, Marak, TheJadedMieu and 4 others like this.
  18. Essence

The latter.

mining, Kazeto and OmniNegro like this.
  19. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Get more sleep indeed.

Kazeto and OmniNegro like this.
  20. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I haven't gotten to the recursive eruptors yet. I keep starting new games and playing around with some different stuff. I rarely get below level 3 or 4, not because I keep dying but because I get an idea I want to try. :) But they sound cool to me. I'll probably just have to create a little temp mod to add them back in once I get the patch/CoW. Now go get some sleep. :)

Kazeto likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.