Death By A Thousand Taunts

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Catbread, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Catbread

Catbread Member

This mod adds over three thousand monster taunts. Current total: 3450!
    Also, it got mentioned in the November 2012 PC Gamer, on page 86. Hooray!

I make it a point to use taunts that fit the game well. That means I try to keep them relatively short, so they don't clog up the screen, and I keep the capitalization and punctuation consistant.

Most importantly, they need to sound like something a monster might say upon seeing a hero, regardless of whether or not it's some weird reference. I only break this rule sometimes!

Let me know if anything about the mod is horribly wrong so I can try to fix it. I plan on fixing it up, adding more taunts and removing ones that don't fit, or sound a bit off.

And feel free to offer suggestions for taunts to add, though I reserve the right to use or not use them based on my own, ill-defined criteria. I don't mean to sound snobbish, but I am incredibly snobbish.

banjo2E, Dray`Gon, Alexander Drake, Createx, Warlock, The Dwarven Blur, Chlorine, Faceman, Carlz0r, Xalarion, Ryeland, Funnybone, Boomsicle, alopex101, Citychaser9, IAMCRAIG, Defiler, Mimic, IndigoComic, LeoTehEpic, Videophile, and LemonsWillBurnYourHouseDown!!! contributed some taunts. Thanks, guys!

Finally, I'd like to thank my assistant, Diggle Commando Trapped Behind a Lever, for helping me test my taunts efficiently.
    [​IMG]
    "You have outlived your usefulness."

[​IMG]
    "As thanks for your service, I grant you a quick death."

[​IMG]
    "You can't do this to me! We had a deal!"

[​IMG]
    TOUGH SHIT

Attached Files:

Alyndiar, mining, Ryvian and 8 others like this.
  2. mutated

mutated Member

Just as a plug, this mod is fantastic - adds a great amount of variety but doesn't break the existing character of the game at all. well worth your time.

OmniaNigrum and Catbread like this.
  3. Dray`Gon

Dray`Gon Member

I also want to plug it as I know there are a lot of good taunts in it. I may or may not have also suggested some of them. >.>

OmniaNigrum and Catbread like this.
  4. Catbread

Catbread Member

Aw, thanks.

If at any point the mod does start to break the character of the game, let me know so I can try to dial back.
    I'm readying another update with 500+ more taunts, and while I'm pretty sure they're good, I don't want to screw anything up!

OmniNegro likes this.
  5. Catbread

Catbread Member

Thanks, but I already fused them! I'll update the OP. Also I'm not dealing with phonemes and suffixes and all that.

It does look like I missed some of them, though. I'll get right on that.

OmniNegro likes this.
  6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

You would not believe the amount of time I likely wasted removing the first space of every line....

And nice touch with the following:
    <! These insults were contributed by Dray`Gon! I did edit them a bit, though. BUT STILL. >
    <! These insults were contributed by banjo2E! Great name, in my opinion. >

7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

8. Catbread

Catbread Member

OmniNegro likes this.
  9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Yeah. But I would love to get a hold of their data and compile it in to our little project anyway.

That would be Grade A Nonsense.

10. Catbread

Catbread Member

No thanks.
    I'm not shooting for nonsense, I'm shooting for taunts that fit the game well! Every one needs to make some degree of sense.

OmniNegro likes this.
  11. Catbread

Catbread Member

Should I post here whenever I update the mod, or just quietly update the OP? I don't know the proper protocol here.

Either way: updat

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

It does not matter. Anyone with some sense will watch both threads. So long as you post a note or even just say "Update" on a new post in your thread, it will show up for anyone watching the thread.

Catbread likes this.
  13. Dray`Gon

Dray`Gon Member

Yeah, I typically only read a thread if I notice it's recieved a new post which means any steal updates I tend to miss. >.> Call me lazy. No, seriously. :p

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Lazy. :p

Catbread likes this.
  15. Catbread

Catbread Member

boom, 2093

OmniNegro likes this.
  16. Catbread

Catbread Member

Big update this time. I've reached 2524.

OmniNegro and Daynab like this.
  17. Catbread

Catbread Member

Question.

I can't remember seeing any of the taunts contributed by others in-game, and I'm afraid there might be an issue with the code, possibly a problem with the crediting.
    I validated it, of course, but I can't be sure that means I'm in the clear.

Could someone check the code in the text.xml file up there? It's all Greek to me.
    The part with the contributed taunts is at the bottom.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

There was another thread recently that was about the fact that the taunts are used in order. Not randomly. This means you would basically have to play for the next Eon or two to see them all.

I will see if I can find the thread and link it here.

19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

20. Catbread

Catbread Member

Well. Problem solved.

Unfortunately this means my mod is just a little pointless.

I guess I'll move the user-submitted ones higher up on the list. Beyond that, I don't know what else I can do.

OmniaNigrum likes this.