Mod XML Validator

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Glazed, May 29, 2012.

1. Glazed

Glazed Member

Uploaded 0.3.1

2. Glazed

Glazed Member

Uploaded 0.4

3. Glazed

Glazed Member

Uploaded 0.4.2

4. Glazed

Glazed Member

Now with XSDs

5. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Got a could not parse with the spellDB.xsd.

6. Glazed

Glazed Member

From what? Notepad++? Was that just with the one XSD? Did you try others? These are the exact files that get embedded in the validator, so I know they work.

Try putting the whole Schemas folder inside your mod's "mod" folder, and then modify the root element of your spellDB.xml to be this:

Code:
    <spellDB xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="./Schemas/spellDB.xsd">

Then open your spellDB.xml in Notepad++.

7. Glazed

Glazed Member

Added v0.5.2.0

8. Glazed

Glazed Member

Uploaded 1.0!

9. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

It may not like negative damagebuff values, but they work. :p

consumptionBuff appears to be working.

IDK how it determines this. Is there some way to tell what the mod is trying to use from EXP1? Because I copied all of the relevant graphical resources into my mod folder, so there shouldn't be any dependencies left.

10. Glazed

Glazed Member

I will fix this!

I will fix this!

I will fix ALL the things!

Yes, it already tracks exactly what resources caused it to think that an expansion is required, I just don't have anything in the UI for it.

Copying things presents a problem for it. If a resource exists in your mod and in some expansion, then it thinks the expansion is required. It's not currently clever enough to ignore such cases. There are also 42 resources in the two expansions that got copied to the core game which also expose this issue. They really should have been moved, not copied.

Is it kosher to copy paid expansion resources to your mod? Why don't you just make a mod that has all of the expansion resources so you can save people some money on the expansion? :-P I'm sure there's a line somewhere. A couple of icons probably won't make Gaslamp upset.

Essence likes this.
  11. Glazed

Glazed Member

Quoting myself from IRC:

I want to fix the negative damage buff issue. Can you help me test it? Or maybe you already know how it behaves. The XSD bit that validates damage values is currently used everywhere damage values are used. Like, damageBuff, weapon, spell damage, etc. I have a feeling negative values only works on damageBuff. If that's the case, then I will have to separate out the validation of damage values for damageBuff to allow negatives.

12. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Sure. I'll toss together a mod that offers negative weapon damage, negative spell damage, and negative damageBuffs and see how they all play out. :)

It's also worth noting that negative damageBuffs don't show up on the character panel or anywhere else except the ticker (and the actual amount of damage you deal.)

13. Glazed

Glazed Member

Thanks! I appreciate it. I did hear you mention somewhere that the negatives don't show. As long as it works then it's fine.

14. Glazed

Glazed Member

15. TSED

TSED Member

I'd just like to let you know how absolutely amazing this is. I've been plugging away at my own skill pack (only 2/12 are done right now...) and this is the only reason I can do it. Having something point out exactly where the problem is on a crash has saved me tons of frustration, because I'm not really a "programmer" type. Only having to test for bugs in the skill instead of figuring out why it crashes = $$$.

So, once again, thanks for this. Thanks so much.

16. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Validator does not correctly detect .xml files used for trap wall mounts from itemDB.xml:

Code:
    C:\Users\James\Documents\Gaslamp Games\Dungeons of Dredmor\mods\The Vaults of Maslech\mod\itemDB.xml
    14 error(s) found.
    Line 317, Position: 8 -- The file, 'sprites/manasap/manasap.xml', was not found.

Line 323, Position: 8 -- The file, 'sprites/manasap/manasap.xml', was not found.

Line 329, Position: 8 -- The file, 'sprites/manasap/manasap.xml', was not found.

Line 335, Position: 8 -- The file, 'sprites/manasap/manasap.xml', was not found.

Line 341, Position: 8 -- The file, 'sprites/manasap/manasap.xml', was not found.

Line 348, Position: 8 -- The file, 'sprites/judgemental/judgemental.xml', was not found.

Line 354, Position: 8 -- The file, 'sprites/judgemental/judgemental.xml', was not found.

Line 361, Position: 8 -- The file, 'sprites/lasereyes/lasereyes.xml', was not found.

Line 367, Position: 8 -- The file, 'sprites/lasereyes/lasereyes.xml', was not found.

Line 373, Position: 8 -- The file, 'sprites/lasereyes/lasereyes.xml', was not found.

Line 379, Position: 8 -- The file, 'sprites/lasereyes/lasereyes.xml', was not found.

Line 385, Position: 8 -- The file, 'sprites/lasereyes/lasereyes.xml', was not found.

Line 391, Position: 8 -- The file, 'sprites/lasereyes/lasereyes.xml', was not found.

Line 397, Position: 8 -- The file, 'sprites/lasereyes/lasereyes.xml', was not found.
    These files exist and function.

17. Glazed

Glazed Member

I'm glad it's helping!

That's really easy to fix.

18. swizard

swizard Member

<3 Glazed
    You are truly a hero for beginner/more advanced modders

19. Glazed

Glazed Member

v1.0.3.0
    • Negative values are now allowed in damageBuff.
    • consumptionBuff is now allowed for triggered effects other than in buffs.
    • XML sprites (and SPR files) are now allowed for trap origins.
    Still no fix for the issue where the validator claims that resources copied from expansions mean that the expansion is required.

Kalos, OmniNegro and Kazeto like this.
  20. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Either way, modders can just rename the icons slightly until it works, so it's not that big of an issue.

And while I'm at it, thanks for the validator. Contrary to what some people think, people who know how to code get use out of it too, since it's a good way to catch stupid mistakes like forgetting to include one icon or misspelling something when we have a lot of code.

OmniNegro and FaxCelestis like this.