Orbs, Tomes, and Unarmed Combat

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Xaxio, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Xaxio

Xaxio Member

Orbs are shields.
    Tomes are shields.

Shields can be used with unarmed combat without losing the unarmed combat bonuses.

Just figured that these things needed to be stated somewhere, 'cause I had a hard time finding them on the forums.

2. magicbison

magicbison Member

I knew these two types of items could be used with unarmed to maintain the bonuses but are they really considered shields?

3. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Generally speaking, anything that doesn't have its own weapon proficiency skill is not a weapon, and thus doesn't stop bonuses from Unarmed from working.

They are shields, with changed item class name (via an override).

4. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

The code checks to see if you have a weapon in either hand; if so, you are uneligible for claiming your Unarmed Combat bonuses. Tomes and orbs are internally considered to be shields; therefore they're not actually weapons per se.

(Remember: it doesn't matter what you hold in your hand; all your unarmed damage in Dredmor is actually done with your feet.)

TheJadedMieu, Marak and Kazeto like this.
  5. magicbison

magicbison Member

So shield bearer procs and buffs work with tomes equipped?

6. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Shield Bearer procs and buffs (as of now) work regardless of whether you equipped a shield or two halberds.

7. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

^^^^For now. I believe this is being changed for exp3.

8. magicbison

magicbison Member

Ah...so I've been wasting my defensive potential thinking I had to use an actual shield labeled shield...

9. Fayd

Fayd Member

Nicholas, idea for a future expansion: Two skills that focus on Orbs and Tomes.

10. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

I'll endorse this if and only if there is at most one joke about testicles in the entire skill tree.

OmniNegro likes this.
  11. Fayd

Fayd Member

Well, actually, if the Staves (and sometimes Wand Lore) tree is all about the phallic imagery, the Orb tree could cater to jokes about the fairer sex.

FaxCelestis and banjo2E like this.
  12. Shaxarok

Shaxarok Member

Absolutely. Reminds me of a yonic mage that Harry Dresden met once upon a time. used collars and bangles and such as focuses instead of staves and rods.

13. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

HOLY NECROPOST BATMAN!
    I will never pick Staves or Wand Lore Again. If I happen upon a Wand/Staff, Kudos for my Mage, but I'm not taking the 2 skills.
    Unfortunately I have to deal with wand lore for another 500 Wand Repairs till I get the stupid Achievement since I'm a completionist.